PDA

View Full Version : New to rotaries... need some help

CRose801
03-22-2011, 05:53 PM
I'm interested in running rotaries but there are so many options and a massive price range... I like the idea of some sort of damper and would like to stay around $400... I threw up some pictures to show I'm a legit tattooist, not a scratcher that needs help tattooing... Thanks guys, I look forward to some input...19951996199719981999

slicksteel
03-22-2011, 06:53 PM
aww I would say Rapier2 by Cary would prob suit u, light and runs like a coil- goes for 350.00- american made high grade aircraft alum. with a german motor-super great service ,cary will even stop tattooing and help you on the phone if there is problems!
I run coil and rotary and it pretty much seems that you have coils down -add it to your tool box to expand your artistic tool selection.
You can buy them from:
http://www.tattooedpirate.com/

CRose801
03-22-2011, 10:49 PM
I am interested in his machines... Hows the hit compared tot he bishop?? I like the look of the bishop way better but looks aren't everything... also is there any input on Shag's rotaries??? They're pricey but they look super nice and hes at the top of my list when it comes to coil machines...

slicksteel
03-22-2011, 11:15 PM
bishop is like the neotat which i had-smooth runners-no give.the shag built large canisiter has a directdrive cam like the roy richerson machines- smooth to but run better with needle runners instead of rubberbands,run super smooth with the t-tech setup. the other canister will run much like a swiss made or a stealth but u get needle return with the back spring but still no give unless u use a soft groment and open up eyelet a tad.
You also could file a notch on that type thoe were the crank top hole is and put some thick soft neoprene tubing there over abar tip and u will get some give as you have a backspring and the slot will let it go back a bit against the tubing.
I feel with a no give machine you realy have to keep on your toes with needle depth. both styles are both nice but at the end of the day when your hands get tired you have a bit of foregiveness with a give style machine. check out ink pagodas work on here with rapiers-amazing but then again he was already great with coils!
rapiers are also great liners-even for thick one pass lines and countouring. pretty much everything and a very easy learning curve.

The Limey
03-22-2011, 11:37 PM
If you are after a bang for your buck I'd strongly suggest you consider the Neotat, Rapier II or Rotary Works. All are slightly different but give amazing results without a steep learning curve or putting a big dent in your pocket. There is also Dan Kubin who makes some very cool and innovative machines although I don't have any personal experience with them but people that do only have good things to say.

Edit: Mike Metaxa also makes some nice direct drives at a very reasonable price, again no personal experience but he sure has a loyal following of users.

Alie K
03-22-2011, 11:51 PM
As far as damper/give goes, Carey's (RapierII, Blunderbuss) have it and are within your price range. Neotat doesn't have 'give' but does seem to hit a little softer than the direct drives I have. RotaryWorks is also a favorite of mine, but does not have give. What do you want to use the machine for? Some are better at lining, some are kickass at b&g, some pack color like nobody's business.

CRose801
03-23-2011, 02:55 AM
I've heard good thing about the Rapier2 for lining which is what I'd like to use it for. I'm a major line sculpter so it'll be interesting to see how it does... I looked up InkPagoda's work... seems like his work got a lil better with the rotaries, and time... but I haven't seen much black and grey...

emoneylovesyou
03-23-2011, 10:10 AM
Although your looking for a machine with give you should try different types. For example I have had good results with my stealth for color, and its not even that great of a machine compared to others. I also discovered that the Rotary Works is my favorite for lining, it feels like Im using a marker. Im not using the swash to much anymore, so later on Im planning on picking up a Blunderbuss, and Dan Kubin machine.Best of luck!

CRose801
03-23-2011, 11:49 PM
Thanks for all the input guys... Im gonna give the ol Rapier2 a whirl... I post some pics when I get it goin...

Dan Kubin
03-24-2011, 12:50 AM
I make a direct drive rotary with dampening that I have thoroughly enjoyed using. I can make them thumpy for traditional/pepper shading, or softer b/g shaders. They are nothing fancy, but they work very efficiently. I can make them clipcord or RCA adaptable, or both. $270 delivered.
Another machine with dampening is Special Technique...they just released a Workhorse Irons machine that is pretty neat for $350. it's a slingshot style that is pretty clean and simple looking.

Dan Kubin
03-24-2011, 12:59 AM
this is one of my springers with a clip-cord attachment set up for a softer look.
http://www.rotarytattoo.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2020&d=1300942516