PDA

View Full Version : Best 17mm motor for the money?

Heath
06-08-2013, 01:28 PM
Like the post says I'm looking for a 17mm x 22-24mm motor for lining. Any suggestions? I know about the Faulhaber but was trying to purchase something in the US... and I don't think Mabuchi makes one. Maxon does, the 216000 but it's close to $150 which is a bit absurd in my opinion.

Any suggestions? Thanks

OwlsDen
06-08-2013, 02:14 PM
Graupner makes one. I don't know if it is sold in the states. I think it is the 180 speed. I have put one in a DD and it lines well with small groupings, but doesn't the torque of a Faulhaber. There is Micromo in the states and they sell Faulhabers. Portscap is in the states too and make good motors in that size. The best in my experience is the Faulhaber.

directDRIVE
06-08-2013, 02:46 PM
This is a very none-specific answer; if you are looking for something torquey, it's going to need to be an escap or maxon or a faulhaber unfortunately.

I only have experience with portescap (and one other, who don't do a 17mm motor, and shall remain nameless), they are superb and worth their weight in gold - which actually wouldn't be that much gold as they weigh virtually nothing :D - so they would be my first choice, but maxon are excellent as are faulhaber, which is why they are virtually industry standards.

You could go brushless, which tend to be more compact, but then you need some form of ESC to run them.

Also, without sounding like a dick - I assure you, that's not my intention - saying that you 'want it for lining' gives absolutely no information of any value whatsoever. There are 1001 different variables that come into play, none of which are accounted for in saying that's it going to be used for lining.

Heath
06-09-2013, 04:45 PM
I guess a better question to ask is, what is the minimal amount of torque to run 3's to 9's for a lining rotary?

OwlsDen
06-09-2013, 04:51 PM
Why 17mm ? Mabuchi make a cool motor that is about 20x15x30 and it will easily push up to 15s pretty easily.