PDA

View Full Version : Dan Kubin mini cranker vs HM mini evo....opinions?

Heath
06-11-2013, 02:29 PM
On the fence between the Dan Kubin mini cranker and the HM mini evolution... for lining. I still use coils...love them. Just in the mood to experiment. Any opinions or votes?

Primarily, I use super tight 5's for fine line work, 7's, 9's and occasionally tight 14's for traditional work. Not sure if one or there other will push them all and nicely. Also not trying to dig ditches on people with either one.

joelhague
06-11-2013, 02:33 PM
Never had a mini evo but im always back n forth from coils to rotary for linework and i can say without a doubt the mini cranker lines just as nice if not nicer then my coils its just a different feeling with rotary once u get the propor puncture it lines like a sharpie the coil helps with the puncture that is all to me atleast

tattood
06-11-2013, 02:41 PM
is there even a comparison.lol.. and agreed, rotaries have less weight and dont puncture like a coil, so simply put more pressure. It feels strange to press it in but that is making up for the type of hit and also have less than half the weight in you hand

Sage Oz
06-11-2013, 02:45 PM
I've had and used both and as much as like the HM's which seem to have better spec motors and anodized cnc goodness, the mini Cranker has some type of lining magic and is my choice...

Sage Oz
06-11-2013, 03:06 PM
One thing that I noted was that the Eco I used had a smaller sized and therefore less weighted flywheel as the Kubin has, I think the added enertia helps so if you pick up a HM ask for one with a larger more weighted crank, I've seen some of his that have them, and I bet that they perform a bit better

skinmech
06-11-2013, 04:07 PM
Both are very, very good.....But, IMHO, the Triple from RW, and the a-bar Nicks are probs just in front....Again, ALL OF OUR OPINIONS are based on how we work...So, whatever suits you Heath is the BEST...It might take you 50 Machines to decide,but, the result is the same........Simple..:o

(Opted Out)
06-11-2013, 04:12 PM
For lining my hm mini evo... 4/10 cranker 8/10... I think the cranker beats the mini evo on lining anything.. 3rl to 14rs with the cranker.. Its the bomb!

Heath
06-11-2013, 04:52 PM
Does the cranker have any give? My only fear is it'll push too hard for tight smaller groupings...loose 14's I'm not too worried about.

aurelien
06-11-2013, 05:01 PM
the ego lines well too

slicksteel
06-11-2013, 05:04 PM
the cranker has slight damping.
try the whip with the light weight set on-runs lines like a dream -very close to a coil-you can make it run long stroke or faster short stroke with the adjustment,weight set and cam choice.

(Opted Out)
06-11-2013, 05:48 PM
I also used the swashdrive whip to line, but with hard clip ran it at 12v..The cranker i use has the metal clip so no give but use silicone hose for that light give and i open up the needle loupe with scissors

asa_castle
06-12-2013, 02:02 AM
mini cranker all day. no worries on trenching or blow outs. it's a magic marker. i use my 4mm stroke cranker for all lining duties, anything from a single needle up to an 18rnd. it has never failed me.

joelhague
06-12-2013, 02:46 AM
I thought the crankers slight dampening was too little to notice till i used a kubin direct drive orbiral spinner , that is true zero give

joelhague
06-12-2013, 02:48 AM
The give comes from the rod that runs on the inside of the armature and also where the crank arm connects tobthe a bar has slight play

reigningink
06-12-2013, 09:03 AM
I have an evo. Honestly I use it more for color packing. But I just haven't been able to find that sweet spot for lining (very likely me, not the machine) I can't speak for a kubins yet, since I haven't owned one yet. But, as of right now, my nedz mr01 is my go to liner. For some reason it just fits. The fact that it's driven by a spring not a piston seems to give it the extra punch that feels more natural to me. Coil like I guess. I will get a cranker soon, and it may just blow my mind., based on the never ending praise. But I can only speak from experience. Evolution vs nedz mr01..... I'm running the nedz. Hope you find what works well for you.

darkness
06-12-2013, 04:17 PM
i have the hm , gen8 and the mc13 cranker and would say the cranker lines better as the hm because is run faster but you can get the same good lining with the gen8 at 8v and softest setting or with 6v and a light weightset .
I like the gen8 more beacause it vibrates less ( i think the cranker vibrates a lot) and run smoother and cleaner ...the cranker is the only machine that splutter and fine mist produced.

SKreitlow
06-12-2013, 04:27 PM
I"m loving my HM ADD for lining. Shit goes right in smooth and clean. I'm still really new to rotary and am also searching for what works for me. So far both my MC13 and HM ADD have been the tits for lining and color packing (though I still rely mostly on coil for lining). I agree with what was said above about having to really put it in the skin and more so with certain skin types.

thejackco
07-16-2013, 06:28 PM
mini cranker all day. no worries on trenching or blow outs. it's a magic marker. i use my 4mm stroke cranker for all lining duties, anything from a single needle up to an 18rnd. it has never failed me.
What settings and voltage do you use in the cranker?

nivek
07-16-2013, 09:46 PM
I have had both - I have 6 Kubins now... and traded the evo...

but we all tattoo different. I jsut found the Kubins more for me.

crabink
07-17-2013, 12:45 AM
the mc13 has a lot of punch power like a coil... and there is some odd dampening provided because the nipple moves up and down a little bit when you press on it... they line great.

Heath
07-24-2013, 08:08 PM
Do you use the Kubins for everything now? Lining, gray shading and color packing?

I have had both - I have 6 Kubins now... and traded the evo...

but we all tattoo different. I jsut found the Kubins more for me.

nivek
07-24-2013, 11:30 PM
Do you use the Kubins for everything now? Lining, gray shading and color packing?

Yep - best heals I have ever had - 95% its Kubins or Kubins and Halos.
Every now and again I'll use some of my others but I haven't used anything for lining in the past 6 months other than Kubins and ever since I got the Mini Mini cranker for colour its pretty much all I use.

The halos are my second choice - they are just great machines.

Best way to put it - the Kubins are just a great first pass machine that have the ability to do the soft blends as well.

Heath
08-17-2013, 11:52 PM
Forgot to respond back to this. I went with 2 Kubin MC2's recently. They are amazing machines. It's taken me some time being a coil guy to get used to lining with them but I think now I've gotten the hang of it and they are awesome tiny machines.

biggietattoos
08-18-2013, 05:16 PM
I line with the Swashdrive Gen 8 and an EGO, the Ego is great for tight groupings and fine line, the gen 8 pushes 7's and up very well.... Its all subjective to the artist though