PDA

View Full Version : Hmmmmmmmm,,, Mint Choc Egos.....Not a Comparison, just a Review...

skinmech
06-17-2013, 10:27 AM
I placed this on a Coil Forum, and I am too lazy to change it....So here is my feeling on the Ego...

Ok, so I reckon I have got my Coil/Rotary Machine Percentage sorted out...75% Coils and 25% Rotary.....Before People start all their Shit that a Coil can do anything a Rotary can, I know..But, that will depend on how good your Coil tuning Skills are....Remember some Rotaries are fukn easy to use and very versatile....So with all the "Politics" out of the way...

These are my EGO's...Super light Machines, which, I use for Soft Shading, and Packing ....They are not a good Machine to make the transition from Coil to Rotary, as I said they are very, very, very light, and have some slight vibration issues, and I will always prefer to Line with a Coil Machine, but, with that out of the way, and a purchase Price of approx £200, well worth thinking about..

This is a Linear Machine, which as the name suggests the needle nipple goes "up and down", the "force of hit" is determined by the use of different coloured Rubber, the colour signifies different thickness/viscocity to "replicate the same effect as a Coil Machine"...I know, just use a Coil Machine then, I hear you Shout...However, these are "plug and play"....Why have I got two, simple, they have many set-ups, just like a Coil Machine....We all have more than one Coil Machine..

This is a very light and versatile Machine, it won't replace my V3, or D/Fly, and my preference is still Rotaryworks...However, we all work differently, so this is defo an option..

aurelien
06-17-2013, 11:56 AM
I really like mine ! I don't have them for that long but after weeks I got some healed tattoos coming back already, I'm impressed. I actually like lining with them. Since I am developping wrist issues I'm pretty happy I can carry on tattooing while waiting for my neurologist appt.
A lot of people told me they felt less pain than usual. I really don't mind the slight noise as it's regular and consistent.
About them triangles there are a lot of configurations possible and looks like a headache but like any coil machine, once you found what suits you you don't need to look any further. On mine I use black on bottom, all the time like Mike (whom i bought it from). i tried other stuff but didn't like it as much.

fine lining - yellow triangle 9v
bigger lining - green triangle 9v
black n grey - green triangle 8.5v
coloring - purple triangle 8.5v

I do have a fast hand though

Nice review as usual !

skinmech
06-17-2013, 12:10 PM
Aurelien, I think your advice is more valuable to users than mine tbh..I didn't want this to be a review, I just wanted to make people aware of the ability this machine has....I was one of the first to dismiss it, one of the reasons is I prefer heavier Machines which I believe have the ability to absorb most vibrations especially when Lining, however, the upright "config" of this machine compensates for its lack of weight, and vibration is minimal..I am glad I am stupid, or I would have missed out on trying this "wee gem"......

SKreitlow
06-17-2013, 03:45 PM
I can't see the original post. It appears the txt is white on the white background of the forum. Is it just my phone being wonky?

skinmech
06-17-2013, 04:24 PM
Sk...try that..

SKreitlow
06-17-2013, 08:38 PM
Thanks skinmech. did your egos come like that or did you get a green and a black one and just switch up the body parts?

skinmech
06-18-2013, 03:19 AM
Just switched the bodies....

OwlsDen
06-18-2013, 06:23 AM
Just switched the bodies....

That kinda makes it even better. I do wonder if the internals are like the Neuma Hybrid. Everything about the EGO reminds me of the Neuma.

skinmech
06-18-2013, 07:42 AM
Really cool internals....Nice system...For obvious reasons I don't want to post a pic,LOL

OwlsDen
06-18-2013, 07:47 AM
Really cool internals....Nice system...For obvious reasons I don't want to post a pic,LOL

Naturally, I understand.

crabink
07-10-2013, 03:06 AM
I believe that if you know how to build and tune coils... there is no reason for rotary. FK irons makes light weight coils... so the wrist pain issue is a non issue.
I have really tried to buy into the "rotary is better thing.. but honestly.. coils are a full give technology that puts is ink very well.
That being said, would be nice to see a true give style technology that emulates a coils machine that is plug and play.

So far the next gen centri might be closest thing. Seems like everyone wants to emulate a coil stroke and hit style, but wants a light weight plug and play with the volt range of a rotary.

slicksteel
07-10-2013, 02:21 PM
haha crab I thought you said fuck coils and are all halo!

slicksteel
07-10-2013, 02:25 PM
EGO are a good machine if of course you have the brains to fig out what works best for you-just like a coil tuned to suit your style. I realy dig mine and the balance is great!!

biggietattoos
07-14-2013, 04:52 PM
I love mine as well. at the moment I strictly use is as a liner for small groupings with the black triangle on the bottom and the green on top. I haven't messed with it too much outside of that but I will eventually. It's a really neat little contraption with a plastic tube it feels like tattooing with a sharpie. The vice is shit but a little bead of superglue on the screw fixes it for sure. I kinda dig that it looks like something made by fisher price haha

redrichie
11-08-2013, 10:38 PM
Have a few tattoos done with my ego I got in a trade. I like it. I line with it right now black on black triangles. Was throwing in color with black and blue on the back. I don't understand having g the give up front but will try it tomorrow. I honestly want another one.