PDA

View Full Version : broken hawk plug

fatcashdaddy
03-29-2011, 10:34 PM
Does anyone have experience with fixing hawks? I picked one up from a friend and the thing doesn't work. It looks like the 3.5mm plug is broken. you can move it pretty easily with your finger. the machine is still under warranty so I could send it back but if the 3.5mm plug is easy enough to replace I'd rather do that...I just don't want to start tearing this thing apart and void the warranty only to find out I can't replace the plug myself...

Zapp
03-29-2011, 10:37 PM
What happend,fall down ?

fatcashdaddy
03-29-2011, 10:57 PM
not by me..the guy I got it from said he was having problems with the clipcord..he said they kept breaking on him..he went through alot of them. I think he may have just been too tough on it and broke the plug

merky
03-30-2011, 07:08 AM
mine is down also with the same problem, i tried ever cord radio shack had and still dead, helppppppppppppppp.

fatcashdaddy
03-30-2011, 09:32 AM
I wrote to them and unimax (where i believe the machine was purchased) yesterday and asked about warranty repair. I also asked what it would cost to fix if it wasn't warrantied..still haven't heard back from either

elbo
03-30-2011, 10:53 AM
Never had a problem as yet...i hope you guys can get it sorted though...let us know how you get on...

fatcashdaddy
03-30-2011, 11:30 AM
ok, heard back from both unimax and the hawk manufacturer..unimax said they never heard of this problem ever (I told them you were having the same problem merky) and told me to hardwire the machine because they believe it was the cord that was bad and they would replace that....I did that and the machine worked. but, i also have an unwired female 3.5mm jack. when I put that on the hawk plug and tried to touch the same wires that I use to hardwire the machine to it..nothing (and yes I reversed the wires,tried it both ways).... the hawk guys were very nice. they told me to contact unimax again and they will replace the machine. I called unimax but the boss wasn't in so I'm waiting for the call back from them...one step closer to my first hawk machine...

Zapp
03-30-2011, 12:17 PM
I am sure one of them fix the problem pretty quick !
Unimax has a great customer service !
One time i had a problem with a 25mm grip and i send it to the producer of the hawk,they replace it without asking what happend !
Nice !!!!

fatcashdaddy
03-30-2011, 01:35 PM
I am sure one of them fix the problem pretty quick !
Unimax has a great customer service !
One time i had a problem with a 25mm grip and i send it to the producer of the hawk,they replace it without asking what happend !
Nice !!!!

yes the hawk guy (konrad) was very nice. asked me a couple of questions about the problem and said that I would need all the paperwork (invoice,receipt,etc.) to send it to germany. he then wrote me right back and said just send it to unimax (which I live near) and they would replace the whole machine..

unimax was helpful but their communication wasn't the best. I wrote to them last night, got a reply this morning telling me to try a few things.I wrote them back with no response so I called them. the woman said the boss wasn't in, took my number and said he'd call me in about 20 minutes..that was 2 hours ago and I'm still waiting. I'll give them a couple of more hours then I'll phone them again..

merky
03-30-2011, 08:54 PM
any pics of what you did fatcashdaddy of the wiring, i bought mine back in 2008 so im fuked.

fatcashdaddy
03-30-2011, 09:35 PM
I took a cord with a 1/4 male on one end plugged into my power supply and the other end was just 2 exposed wires..I touched one wire to the tip of the plug and the other end touched the plug closer to the base (about half way down..you may have to move the wire around a bit to get to the right spot on the shaft) and then I stepped on the footswitch..the machine started right up..

Unimax gave me a hard time about it but when I e-mailed the manufacturer I spoke with konrad lackner. he never asked me when I bought the machine or where I got it from. he said if I was to send it to germany I would need the paperwork for customs reasons. but then he wrote back and said just send it to unimax and didn't ask for any paperwork or anything. (the machine was bought from painful pleasures) He just said unimax was the closest distributor to me and to contact them and send them the machine and they would replace the entire unit with a new one. I waited all day for unimax to return my call (they never did) so i called them back and the guy said he got my e-mail but if I sent them the machine they would just send it to germany and the shipping would cost alot. I said,"so, because it would cost alot to ship it to germany thats why you ignored my e-mail and didn't return my phone call" I then told him I talke with konrad and he said to send it to them and they would replace it..he responded "ok, if thats what he said, send it to us and we'll replace it."...I mailed it to them today and since they are only about 60 miles from me, they should get it by tomorrow..we'll what happens from there...

merky
03-31-2011, 03:33 AM
i hard wired it like you siad and it works ,thank you for your post it help me out big time...

fkirons
03-31-2011, 04:55 AM
I think that an rca that screw in with it's own thread and locks with an external nut or set screw will be a good mod to try.

fatcashdaddy
03-31-2011, 09:42 AM
I think thats a great idea...

fatcashdaddy
03-31-2011, 09:44 AM
i hard wired it like you siad and it works ,thank you for your post it help me out big time...

no problem, glad i could help..you should try gastons idea I think thats what I'm going to do when my new one gets to me...

fatcashdaddy
03-31-2011, 09:48 AM
just on a side note, I think the idea of putting a male 3.5mm plug rather than a female 3.5mm jack on the bottom of the hawk wasn't the best thought out idea...

The Limey
03-31-2011, 10:43 AM
just on a side note, I think the idea of putting a male 3.5mm plug rather than a female 3.5mm jack on the bottom of the hawk wasn't the best thought out idea...

No kidding, I wish it had a female plug but they've kept the same design on the spirit...

slicksteel
03-31-2011, 12:03 PM
I think they did that on purpose so you have to buy that funky cord=looks cheap made at a very high price.

fatcashdaddy
03-31-2011, 12:35 PM
I think they did that on purpose so you have to buy that funky cord=looks cheap made at a very high price.

yeah that could be true but its really not a smart move even from the companies standpoint. I'm getting a brand new 400.00 machine because a 5.00 plug broke. if they had a 3.5mm female jack on the machine and the plug broke you could just replace the cord for 20.00...plus there are other places you could get the exact same cord for a whole lot cheaper...

its also easier to break plugs when they are hard mounted (like to the bottom of the motor can) than it is to break them when they are just wired..a plug on a wire has more flexibility,it would pull out from the jack before breaking..

fatcashdaddy
04-01-2011, 01:21 PM
got my new hawk from unimax today!...

Administrator
04-01-2011, 02:03 PM
Nice! They finally folded and gave one up.

fatcashdaddy
04-01-2011, 02:10 PM
yeah and i got it in a day..I take back everything I said about unimax..lol..I did make one mistake, I sent back the old machine with the grip attached and they sent me a new head with no grip so I have to wait to use it til I get my grip back (hopefully tomorrow) :(

slicksteel
04-01-2011, 02:47 PM
I think they should make a stainless steel grip setup-autoclaves better. and lower the price on the grips- a hundred and fifty is crazy! like 65.00 would be fair.

Zapp
04-01-2011, 06:30 PM
@Fatcashdaddy
What i sayed,great customer service :-)
@Slickstell
No problem to autoclave the grip,just a special bath bevor for them !

fatcashdaddy
04-01-2011, 07:35 PM
Zapp: you were absolutely correct!

Zapp
04-01-2011, 07:45 PM
@Fatcashdaddy
Thank you,mate !