PDA

View Full Version : coilike rotary

crabink
07-10-2013, 03:08 AM
Is there rotary out there that emulates a coil machine exactly? or is the Centri the only machine so far?

peter clements
07-10-2013, 04:51 AM
I think it's a matter of conjecture, which probably boils down to how you prefer to tattoo. You see, I use rotaries because they are NOT like coils.

peter clements
07-10-2013, 04:55 AM
If you pushed me for an opinion, I would say the Special Technique Slingshot is a little coil-like in performance, but without the vibration.

throwhammers
07-10-2013, 05:23 AM
If you pushed me for an opinion, I would say the Special Technique Slingshot is a little coil-like in performance, but without the vibration.
agreed. without the vibration or sound.

reigningink
07-10-2013, 05:29 AM
I actually feel like the nedz mr01 can be made to hit similar to a coil machine. Since your force comes from a spring, and not the downward force of a slide or piston, it has a very consistent strike force regardless of speed. And since you can make it hard/slow, fast/soft, slow/soft, or any combination, it can really take on a similar feel to a coil. Just my opinion. But honestly, I'm with the others- I use rotaries because they aren't coils, and I enjoy tattooing with a rotary more.

crabink
07-10-2013, 05:32 AM
what i mean is full give.... the centri is full give.. and coil is full give... i never tried the special technique.. or learned about it yet...

throwhammers
07-10-2013, 06:06 AM
I think the centri has less in common with a coil than a lot of other rotaries

Sage Oz
07-10-2013, 07:21 AM
I'd say the John Clark rotary since the drive of the needle still uses a magnetic force with the same give as a coil

Vinoshitto
07-10-2013, 09:29 AM
I thought someone would say Inkjecta.. I've never tried them but from what I've heard they're pretty similar to coil feel.

However I still own a Nedz MR01, and have used them for a very long time. Had it before he had the U-P-G-R-A-Y-E-D-D on it. And I reckon they are a superb switch from coil to rotary-machine.. They can really line any grouping. They even sound a bit coil-ish..

gangstajay
07-10-2013, 09:32 AM
the whip

skinmech
07-10-2013, 09:43 AM
I have used a few Rotaries, and I reckon the Shercliffe, comes very close to a Coil Colour Machine.....Probs best described as a Fast running, Med hit, long throw Shader....

S_Trofatter
07-10-2013, 10:49 AM
For me what I've found is that 90 percent of the time coils shine with smaller groupings, one and three liners five mags up to baggy 9 liners and 9 mags maybe 11's. rotaries rock for 14 liners and coloring with mags bigger than 11 on any skin, I know there are exceptions but for the most part that is how it's starting to break down for me. And I have never felt the need to change the way I tattoo moving from a direct drive to a linear slide to a coil, so I never got the hype over coil like rotaries with the exception of not being able to bury the needle balls deep while lining with a direct drive. It seems like you can use the same strokes, lil circles, feathering back and forth, straight paint brush strokes. I also never had a problem with my nice coils losing tune, I've found it's usually my perception of what's wrong that's the problem and not my machine. The longer I tattoo the longer my machines stay in tune, it's funny how that happens. I guess what in trying to say is even though all the coils and rotaries work so differently, and feel differently, they all for the most part put ink into the skin relatively the same for me. Am I the only one that thinks this?

joelhague
07-10-2013, 02:26 PM
Swashdrive gen 8 on softest setting with the light weight or the nedz with red spring both feel like a coil to me try opening the give all thr way up.on the halo and using a long hang its awesome and exactly how i tattoo with coils

joelhague
07-10-2013, 02:30 PM
All i have been using latley is my hawk thunder and if there is anoyone else who was like me and had a constant coil rotary coil rotary headache like me just buy a hawk thunder and say fuck it learn to use it then all thr skill is in your hand not what the machine does and nothing ever changes. also have yourself a brand new nice coil liner for those stressfull days where u need a breath of fresh air 90 percent of the time for me.tho is a no give rotary and going into no give autopilot

crabink
07-10-2013, 04:30 PM
This is a pure curiosity thread ... but i do feel that the full give type of throw that a coil uses is the best for tattooing.... would be nice to see more technology emulating the coil, but actually improving it...
what i mean is the non bogging at low volts, more volt range, built in braking like the centri.... I really love the centri technology.. i talked to the builder of centri last night, he said everything is ready to go, but something in his
personal life if affecting his income so he is just saving up ... sounds like he needs an investor.

anyways i like the idea of centrifugal force actually pulling back on the hit, making it soft, and the ability to adjust the stroke size on the fly with just a turn of a screw.... fucking fantastic... i will check out
some of the other machines u guys mentioned.

rotaryworks
07-10-2013, 04:39 PM
mine almost there as close to a coil as i can get its feeling good almost there

asA
07-10-2013, 04:43 PM
The LOD can hit soft and short to long and hard and everything inbetween....all with just the touch of a button. That technology could deffinatly change everything. It really is pretty amazing.

joelhague
07-10-2013, 05:40 PM
Yes and the lod is magnetic not rotary :)

crabink
07-10-2013, 06:32 PM
LOD?

(Opted Out)
07-10-2013, 07:09 PM
6v rotaryworks is so similar to a hard fast coil for lining... And then i think the halo is almost coil like when you back the give up a good 5 turns.. Good for b&g but if you back the give that much you can lose the punchyness you need for traditional complete saturation.

crabink
07-10-2013, 07:56 PM
mine almost there as close to a coil as i can get its feeling good almost there

Are you talking about your new machine?

asA
07-10-2013, 09:37 PM
Yes and the lod is magnetic not rotary :)

Well coils are magnetic. .. and rotary motors use magnets... sooo yeah. Haha. But yeah its not a rotary.

peezie
07-11-2013, 03:11 AM
I got something coming soon that's being tested and will be revealed soon that hits similar to a coil. Been working on this for almost 2 years now. Without revealing all aspects of the machine, here's an earlier picture without all the parts installed or any finish applied. Coming soon. And yes, vertical motor with gears, everything made in house except for motor and fasteners. I machine everything myself. I'm not a machinist by trade either. For now, I'm a one man show. Here's a sneak peak.
. 20198

peezie
07-11-2013, 03:26 AM
http://www.rotarytattoo.com/showthread.php/5776-Earlier-prototype?highlight=earlier+prototype This thread shows the earliest prototype. When I posted this thread I was already about 6 months into the new design.

peter clements
07-12-2013, 05:28 PM
LOD?

LOD - linear oscillating drive...............Another machine that looks like a Dildo ,I don't like it.

joelhague
07-12-2013, 11:21 PM
Lol why does everyone have dildos on the brain when they look at a pen style machine do yiu think of dildos when you look at a jumbo sharpie it reminds me of that movie where Jonah hill is drawing cocks all day and his parents wont even let him eat cock shaped foods all the best foods are shaped like cocks hahahahha good movie

polynesianworks
10-09-2013, 06:41 AM
its simple, just use a coil machine

peter clements
10-15-2013, 05:39 PM
its simple, just use a coil machine

Well said..........and there aren't any that look like cocks or dildos,,,,,,,,,,or am I mistaken?

cagelavey
10-15-2013, 06:11 PM
the gen 8 and the halo both have coil like feel to them. you can adjust the give on both machines and don't have the excessive sound, limited single use of a coil making you need three machines. one rotary machine is all you'd need if you were so inclined, instead of having to buy a liner/color/shader. also no having to change springs, armatures, compacitors, coils, rotaries are completely maintenance free and a rotary will run the exact same way every time you pick it up. that's the one thing I hated about coils. I loved retuning my machines, putting on the springs, different armatures, etc., but that was just for the sheer enjoyment and satisfaction of that hum when you completed the task right. but unless you had an armature alignment tool, a spring tensioner gauge, and a spring alignment jig. it was real difficult to get your set up the exact same way every time you re-springed your machines. then you not only had to do this once but had to do it for each different machine. so i'd have to say that looking for a coil like machine is not just as simple as buying a coil. if you are looking for convenience, consistency, and low maintenance, there is a lot more that goes into owning a coil. imho. don't get me wrong like I said I love the sound of a really well tuned coil, and I do believe both coils and rotaries have their uses. but for all the above reasons, and the fact that I can have a conversation and listen to music at the same time without maxing out my voice or the radio is why I made the switch, and I have no regrets. so like I said the gen 8 and the halo, you would love them both and the gen 8 is one of the best liners I have ever used, coil or rotary, the halo lines like a beast too.

skinmech
10-15-2013, 06:24 PM
It is not very often that I disagree with Peoples Points, However... I need to ask to ask you cagelavey...What Coil Machines are you running, and what Coil Machines you prefer....I have never made any pretence that Rotaries are easier to run than Coils....

skinmech
10-15-2013, 06:36 PM
I need to add, I actually read through your entire post, the one above mine....What the hell were you basing your judgement on....I make NO SECRET that I am a Mod on a Coil Forum, BUT, I promote both Mediums to everyone....I don't like when anyone provides an inaccurate assumption/opinion based on their experience....So Please elaborate....

cagelavey
10-15-2013, 06:46 PM
I now only have a couple eikon green machines, because if I do use coils I like the fact that I can set up the true springs the same every time I need to. every thing else ive gotten rid of to fund my rotary expenditures. like I said im not dissing coils, they have their place and are enjoyable to use from time to time. but before I started using green machines, I had no problem tuning my other machines I could put together any tattoo machine and make it run well, a lot of the artist loved the way I tuned them and would often look to me to tune their machines. however I found that if you wanted the machine to run like it did before you re-springed it previously, to do so it was my understanding that the same spring tension and placement would be required to get the same desired effect as before. to calculate this exactly other tools were helpful. my only disagreement was that if someone wanted a "coil-like" rotary all you should do is purchase a coil instead. to me that rung false so I felt compelled to disagree. in essence if having a maintenance free, convenient, consistant setup, without the hassle of having to set-up the machines when they eventually need retuning, and if you like the quietness of a rotary and still want the ability to tattoo similar as you may have with a coil, then it in my opinion it is not as simple as just buying a coil. that was all I was trying to convey. I do though like the true spring setup on my eikons, but switching from conventional springs to the true set-up i'd say contributed quite a bit to my desire and eventuality of me using rotaries. all is personal preference. but when considering sound and maintenance this is my unadulterated opinion on the subject, im sure many disagree.

cagelavey
10-15-2013, 06:57 PM
I wasn't trying to be inaccurate in any way, as I always state these are just my opinions, I respect the differences of everyone's opinions, yours included. but I cant convey any advice unless it is based on my experiences, anything else would be embellished and untrue. I still have love for coils, and if you want to get a coil with a conventional spring set-up, it is quite possible to set it up without additional tools and it run similar as it did before but I was merely trying to convey that a lot of the guess work is removed by using other tools to do so, and in doing so they would be set up with quite a bit more accuracy than without them. buying a rotary that functions like a coil alleviates this need completely. if that is something important to the person that posted this thread. which I must assume is or he would have just said where can I get a good coil? . that was my only point that I wanted to state sorry if I didn't articulate this well enough and in no way was I trying to offend anyone

skinmech
10-15-2013, 07:00 PM
I ran Greenies, way back, they are NOT a Machine to Benchmark Coil Experience on..... I also ran tru-spring......I am asking you, what experience do you have with Coil Machines, to base your judgement on...It is a simple question.....

skinmech
10-15-2013, 07:06 PM
Here was my Carved Greenies in case any one thinks I am shit talking....22150

cagelavey
10-15-2013, 07:09 PM
I have used jonesy's I have had several micky sharpz(older and newer models). a couple martinis(which I liked a lot) and ive had one aaron cain a few years back. I know higher grade machines stay tuned longer without having to continuously tune them but having to tune them is an eventuality. and I wasn't using my green machines as a bench mark, i thought you were asking what machines I was using. ive used plenty other machines. some of them were amazing. the only thing I was trying to point out is getting a "coil like" rotary, can not be solved by just getting a coil. if there are aspects of a coil that you do not like then obviously that is why he wants a "coil like" rotary and not just a coil. and me trying to make that point has nothing to do with what coils ive used. but again there is no need for animosity, and in no way was I trying to mislead anyone. I was trying to point out that rotaries are maintenance free and coils are not, that's all I was trying to say. not that one is better than the other, I like rotaries more, but that's just me.

cagelavey
10-15-2013, 07:12 PM
one art, one love, different tools:D

skinmech
10-15-2013, 09:15 PM
I totally agree with you cagelavey on the principle of "achieving the same" :)...However,I still disagree with your opinions...For instance..Higher grade machines stay tuned longer, blah, blah.....Sorry Mate, but you are talking shite,,,

I do not advocate, or promote the benefits of one Machine over the other, so I will keep my mouth shut on this...Drop me a pm...:D

cagelavey
10-15-2013, 09:49 PM
its all preference, and I wont stay neutral on it if I disagree, I do on the other hand advocate one over the other, if you do not, that however is your prerogative. I can show you endless threads with many avocations one way or the other, it is personal preference. I cant say I like coils over rotaries, or that coils are more convenient because I just don't believe it. you don't have to agree or advocate the same thing, but that is because of what I feel on the issue, which is from my personal use with machines from both sides of the fence. I don't expect anyone to agree with me, that's not my intent. my intent was to provide an opinion to the guy that posted this thread. and I think that it is a little ridiculous that I was needed to elaborate on what I meant, when I spoke very clearly and concise on what I felt and disagreed with. but a statement as vague and uninformative and completely off topic as "just buy a coil" required no elaboration? I have never posted anything on this forum as being fact, and have always maintained that what has escaped my keyboard was opinion only, never have I tried to be matter of a fact about anything. so asking me to pm you after saying im talking "shite" and thinking a :D makes that statement kosher, well I guess I just disagree with that also. I have used quality machines on both sides, coil, and rotary alike. so if I believe one is better than the other(when on the subject of maintenance and convenience, not ability), in my OPINION only, and state as much. where is the shite in that? this forum is founded on personal experience, and the freedom of shared information, I have disagreed with a lot of things posted here, but never have I belittled anyone for what they believe to be true. I have only ever kindly disagreed and moved on. you have the same opportunity to state your opinion on the matter and as to why you disagree, you've yet to do that. maybe if you had I could have seen the error in my thinking, but I suppose, shite, and blah, blah, blah, are really valid points. I will stand behind what I said and continue to believe it. I don't like having to tune the machines I use, I like the fact that I don't have to do so with roteries. I love the way the halo and gen 8 preform, among others. if that is shite, well then "im on a roll like cottonell, and I was made for this shite!" like you said we can pm each other now that ive responded to what you've written. I don't feel we are any longer benifiting anyone with this line of discussion sorry to the person who posted this thread, it was not my intent to highjack this thread to debate my ideas. you may use or reject what ive said its all just my opinion and worth whatever its worth. ill end it all with a :D so you know its all ok, peace

cagelavey
10-15-2013, 10:07 PM
polynesianworks (http://www.rotarytattoo.com/member.php/92-polynesianworks) I want to apologize to you, it wasn't my plan to use what you said in a negative light. I guess I just got worked up a little, I don't agree but I shouldn't have used your comment to make my point. you have my sincerest apology.

skinmech
10-16-2013, 06:39 AM
I also apologise if I came across slightly abrasive, it was not my intention...:D

cagelavey
10-16-2013, 11:21 AM
not a problem skinmech, we are artist ruled by our values and emotions, at least I am, lol. I apologize as well. nothing but repect, have a good day homie.

tattoo4satan
11-04-2013, 03:19 PM
I think a minicranker can line like a coil machine, as far as its quick and easy to pull off single pass lines. I have a slingshot, and it is" kinda " like a coil, you can whip shade with it if your so inclined. Personally I like to use both coils and rotarys depends on my mood, and what im doing. But I honestly think no give linear machines are where its at. except for lining, not saying you cant line with them, but I think its faster and easier to use something else.

cagelavey
11-04-2013, 03:40 PM
see im the opposite. I love machines with give. I like the fact that with a give machine I can still tattoo the way I did with coils. I don't feel I should have to change how I have always tattooed to be able to use a machine. I like and search for machines that just make the way I tattoo easier and more productive. that's just me. some swear by no give and ive seen artist like ryan Hadley produce epic art and he only uses neos. its all what works for you. I just want to take what I already know and advance that, not just start over with a new technique, but that is just how I feel though.:)

tattoo4satan
11-04-2013, 03:42 PM
I forgot, I have a special technique clock works machine, and it can perform just like a coil machine in my opinion.

tattoo4satan
11-04-2013, 03:49 PM
I know learning new techniques sucks and can be frustrating, especially when you already know how to tattoo, but maybe if you were to learn them, you would be like why the fuck haven't I been tattooing like this the whole time? I know when I learned to use my neos, I hated it at first, but now that I know how, it feels much more natural than the way I used to tattoo. it never hurts to have more techniques in your arsenal.

cagelavey
11-04-2013, 04:07 PM
I love the way coils lay ink, I guess im all about whats new. I do it with my computers, my phone, my shoes, tvs, any electronics, and all my tattooing products. 21st century digital boy! I just love how quiet a rotary is, I love the look of a nice rotary, the weight, the way they work with cart systems, etc. oh and I love give systems and motor bolts, oohh just got hard, lmao. anyway, for anyone who may think I am anti coil, I am not. they made me and provided for my family, and are a huge part of who I am. I just personally have always been the guy who wanted the newest greatest thing available I like staying new and informed on the newest relevant equipment. without the evolution of medicine we'd still be using leaches to heal our wounds, or the evolution of the automobile without that we'd still be driving motorized carriages with crank levers, and so on and so on. its all about moving forward. you look at the inks used 20 years ago opposed to the ones we have now, needles, power supplies, 1" or bigger tubes, disposables, carts, etc., the industry and its tools change and no matter the consensus I believe over all its for the better. some hate change and fight it with every fiber of their being, but time dictates change and it wont stop for anyone. I love the fact that there is so many different ways to skin the proverbial cat nowadays. keeps everything new and fresh and keeps my enthusiasm and willingness to evolve my art along with the tools, alive as well. god bless tattoos and all the different tools used to apply them in all its forms!:)

darkness
12-21-2013, 11:05 AM
i think a rotary is a rotary and a coil a coil , i love how the rotarys working and can make all with a rotary . But when i would have a machine thats hits like a coil its the best to use a coil :)
I have never seen a coil thats build to working like a rotary :)