PDA

View Full Version : Swashdrive whip

crabink
07-12-2013, 02:12 AM
Been checking out this technology and wanted to hear form some whipers out there.
Seems very coil-like.
Any info on this machine would be greatly appreciated.. thanks guys

slicksteel
07-12-2013, 02:48 AM
crab if you put the weights on you can whip it down like a abar. You can get a very very long stoke that pops the needles in then backs up.
With out the weights and the stiffer clip(which still flexs) think of it as the lightest softest grey coil shader ya have and soft color blender depending on the postion of the slider-
Throw the more flexie bar on and the medium weight and the slider forward abit and you got a standard coil liner slide the clip back some and you got a whipshader and nice color machine.
use the same bar with the heavy weight and the slider back and you got a coil style hard hitting longstoke packer and move it forward for a large liner.
etc etc. It truly can do anything and has true slap and give.

crabink
07-12-2013, 05:12 AM
Wow .. rock hard.. thanks man

peezie
07-12-2013, 02:01 PM
Hey crab, I know you're asking about the whip, but the gen 8 uses the best elements of the whip combined with swash technology. Tony Oliver, swashdrive's r&d guy talks about it in a video on youtube. Check it out also.

crabink
07-12-2013, 02:59 PM
What is the advantage of swash technology vs the linear rotary whip style?..

slicksteel
07-12-2013, 03:10 PM
hurts less!:eek:
smoother blends with faster heal times

peezie
07-12-2013, 03:51 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLw3_LTCcWQ Check it out

crabink
07-14-2013, 04:16 AM
i dont like how the gen 8 has a lop sided give bead on one side only.... whip seems better... i heard that the whip hits real soft.. so i guess that's why they make the whip b.. with a motor with more torque

peezie
07-14-2013, 12:51 PM
I haven't used either one, but I know some who have used both and they all like the gen8 better. Discussion on your issue can be found here http://www.rotarytattoo.com/showthread.php/8142-Swashdrive-Gen-8-Review?highlight=gen8 (http://www.rotarytattoo.com/showthread.php/8142-Swashdrive-Gen-8-Review?highlight=gen8). From that conversation it doesn't seem that the lopsided give bead matters much to make a difference. According to Mickwrath's opinion in that conversation, the gen8 can hit softer than a whip. Though I don't know if he's comparing to the whip b. Maybe someone that has used both can chime in.

Tengu315
07-14-2013, 07:33 PM
I have both .. The whip is a very flexible machine . I love the fact that you can get the needle to hit in different ways with out touching anything .. Just by pushing a little harder or less... If some machines can tattoo like a sharpie , the whip is like a brush. There is so many ways you can set it up it takes some time to figure it out. And the softer the slide setting the harder it hits.
I found the shorter crank with the harder clip and the small weight is the most useful. And I think the weights are key .. And a must for the whip. As far as the motor goes.. The standard one works just fine and its more about the setup than the power of the motor with the whip. But .. Having a little extra power and torque is always nice.
Gen 8 is great the way it is..I don't think the weights are needed .. A bit bulky for my taste thou ...
I like all of the swashdrive machines.. They're very lite , reliable , well engineered , and unique... And the whip is one of my favorite machines .