PDA

View Full Version : Hot Gen. 6

dpadgett
07-13-2013, 03:20 PM
My boss has been running an aluminum Gen 6 for lining for about 6 months and for some reason about a week ago it started getting hot after about 10 minutes. Its getting to the point now that after about 20-30 minutes its so hot that you dont want to touch it. He and I are pretty certain the motor is on its way out, but looking for some input on what else the issue could be. He is running a Critical C-X2, and a new Killer Klippy clipcord so I'm sure those are not to blame, so I'm kinda stumped. Any input would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

OwlsDen
07-13-2013, 03:26 PM
How is the top bearing? Maybe the bearing is failing or in need of lube. That would cause friction and heat.

dpadgett
07-13-2013, 04:39 PM
The bearing seems to be fine, no excessive noise and turns smoothly. I thought that oiling a swashdrive was a big no no, so that could be an issue I guess.

OwlsDen
07-13-2013, 05:07 PM
Hmm, could also be the polarity of the cable. Maybe try switching the clipcord direction and see if that helps.

reigningink
07-13-2013, 09:21 PM
Yeah oiling a swash is risky, with the oil getting into the motor and all. Has he adjusted the height of the swasholate on the pole? If he moved it up or down too far it causes extra resistance and could cause the motor to run hot. I made that mistake with mine when I was trying to get it running a bit quieter. Just my 2¢

dpadgett
07-15-2013, 11:43 AM
Swashplate hasn't been moved