PDA

View Full Version : amoeba review

saint john
07-18-2013, 02:20 PM
about a year ago I started getting into rotaries. I was tired of the noise and vibration. real tired, like, 34 years of tattooing tired. so I discovered the rotary forum and I was off.

I bought the ones that had the great reviews. from about 10 different machine builders. I know, I need a 12 step program. two in particular that have really tripped my trigger are from amoeba designs, by chris dewitt. first I bought a linear. I use it for lining. I hear people complaing about lack of power with rotaries when used as a liner. i'm one of them. some machines with the best reviews are a joke, as far as i'm concerned. can't do a nice line in soft fleshy areas. not a problem with the amoebas'. beautiful line.

I happen to be talking with chris about rotaries and lining issues. he asks, "have I tried a direct drive?" no, and I don't want to try one either. how can they possibly work?, they go around in circles, not straight up and down. I buy one anyway. holy crap! I love this thing. I want to call him right while i'm outlining my first tattoo with it and tell him how great it is. I don't know how this thing can possibly work, but it sure does. ok, in the copious directions he sends with the machines, he says you can color and shade with it. wow, talk about packing in color. easily as good as my dan kubin cranker, which I've used daily since I got it.

I haven't tried any black and grey shading yet, so i'm not able to include this aspect in my review.

customer service - you won't be disappointed if you have any questions or issues. just call him. I had questions about the direct drive - after I bought it. he stayed on the phone with me for a half hour.

the rotary forum has been real important to me. I hope this review helps to give back.

john

gangstajay
07-18-2013, 02:22 PM
thats great

sacredsouls
07-19-2013, 07:26 AM
Agreed Chris is a very good dude to work with. His customer service is awesome. I have 2 linear rotaries #4 dd of his first 10 and 3 of his coils. They are in my line up everyday. The dd works really good for black and grey and I must say it pushes TTechs very nicely.

Amoebadesigns
07-21-2013, 01:54 AM
Thank you John...nice review!

gangstajay
07-21-2013, 03:03 AM
and they are also really fucking cool to look at!! real alien style machine.

aurelien
07-21-2013, 11:37 AM
Nice review indeed ! thanks you got me very curious :)