PDA

View Full Version : Rubber bands dropping like flies

Russ Abbott
04-02-2011, 04:27 PM
I've been having a huge issue with rubber bands snapping on my stealth. I broke 10 in one tattoo! They seem to be breaking at the point where they go over the needle not on any corners in the frame. Is anyone else having this problem? I'm starting to see why some rotaries come with a mechanism to replace the function of the rubber bands.

peter clements
04-02-2011, 06:23 PM
Needlerunners will deal with that problem, but they don't fit in some tubes, i.e thick walled backstems.

fkirons
04-02-2011, 08:51 PM
bend that bridge up or towards the sides to compensate.
Or use a big o ring.
That happened to a bunch of rotaries I've tried with that function.
Is the shaft slicing the rubber band with in every swing

emoneylovesyou
04-03-2011, 08:58 AM
Ive had the same problem with the Stealth and other machines, I cant find suitable o-rings anywhere though.

Alie K
04-03-2011, 10:33 AM
I've been having a huge issue with rubber bands snapping on my stealth. I broke 10 in one tattoo! They seem to be breaking at the point where they go over the needle not on any corners in the frame. Is anyone else having this problem? I'm starting to see why some rotaries come with a mechanism to replace the function of the rubber bands.

What brand of needles are you using? We all know how different companies have different quality standards. Perhaps the needlebars on the variety you are using are not very polished and their roughness is what is wearing away at the bands? try putting a small piece of scotch tape on the needle bar where the rubber bands usually hit on it to give the bands a smooth surface to rest on. If that solves your problem, then it might be time to switch needle brands, or smooth out your needlebars with some wet/dry superfine emery paper before you load them into your grips (too time-consuming, though). Let us know what you figure out.

A Stealth way my introduction to rotaries. I still have and use them on occasion. I've never had a problem with bands breaking due to the positioning of the band guards. I've had bands break on machines that DON'T have band guards because they rub up against a sharp corner of the frame, though.

Did you buy an industrial sized bag of rubber bands and they are nearing their life expectancy? That might be an issue also.

I'd try the simpler things before I modified my frame.

jones7523
04-03-2011, 10:39 AM
Use a zip tie. Works great

rotaryworks
04-04-2011, 04:36 PM
put a bit of tape where the band goes on needle bar cheap and easy

SAACADELIC
04-15-2011, 01:54 AM
Never had that problem with a stealth (miracle)
Needlerunners are shit

peter clements
04-15-2011, 04:58 PM
Never had that problem with a stealth (miracle)
Needlerunners are shit

What problems have you had with the Needlrunners?

Zapp
04-15-2011, 08:41 PM
My problem with the needlerunner was that
I saw already the guys reading this forum but it looks like to me,they give a fuck !

Alie K
04-17-2011, 01:31 AM
What problems have you had with the Needlrunners?

My tube walls are too thick for needlerunners to fit inside them. I also had trouble 'snapping' them on - my needlebars would bend and I could never really straighten them out. Took so much more time to set up by using them. The shop I work in attracts a very nervous 'I don't want to be here long' type of clientele. If I want to get them in and out fast - needlerunners don't help. :/

nathan bauer
04-20-2011, 02:56 PM
Hey All,
I had this problem as well on my swiss type. I simply glaze the top of the needle bar with a bit of A&D.Now the bar bglides under the rubber band. I tried this on my coil machines as well. They seem to run just a shade cleaner with the bar lubricated. Just my .02!
Natahn

Indio Ink
05-03-2011, 08:19 AM
Use a zip tie. Works great

Hey dude, could you post a pic? :D