PDA

View Full Version : Misawa, Japan

brian.harris
10-11-2010, 11:24 PM
Hey guys, my name is Brian Harris. i am US Navy currently stationed in Misawa, Japan and working at Ink Addiction Tattoo Studio right outside the base. i have only been tattooing since february of last year, and just got my first rotary (dragonfly), about two weeks ago. im here to learn.

Alie K
10-11-2010, 11:40 PM
That's very interesting. Didn't know that U.S. military could hold jobs off-base. How do you like that dragonfly so far?

brian.harris
10-11-2010, 11:43 PM
we have to ask for permission, but since im on an off deployment cycle they dont mind. i love it for color and it pulls a smooth line (a little slow). havent had much luck washing with it but thats probably because its my first rotary. i have had the ink creep issue though :(

tattooedpirate2
10-12-2010, 07:18 AM
I have found with rotaries, if you run them at a high rpm they tend to create a vacuum inside the tube like a pump and it sucks to much ink up the tube. Also using them at a steep upward angle [like on an upper arm or back with the lient sitting straight up] this will also cause the ink spiilage. Try to slow the machine down and dip the tip less often in the ink.

Alie K
10-12-2010, 10:27 AM
Well, you've also been tattooing for a relatively short time as well. Certain things come with experience. Nothing better than cutting your teeth working at a shop near a military base, though! They always seem to be super busy! Do you get a lot of small stuff coming in, or people wanting larger work?

brian.harris
10-12-2010, 08:24 PM
thank you pirate, that sounds like a pretty solid tip. wash has been the worst so far. yeah alie, i am booked a month in advance almost always as fast as i can go seven days a week. honestly mostly hand sized or bigger. alot of half sleeves. i have definitely gotten a crash course.