PDA

View Full Version : First thoughts on Rotaryworks new springer

aurelien
08-08-2013, 03:14 PM
Hello everyone,
I received Dale's machine on monday, and got to try it all week so far.
And hell what a BRILLIANT all arounder that is !! I am seriously impressed with it. We all know Rotaryworks I think.
I had a couple of brass standards, and an aluminium springer just to let you know.
So this machine is a springer type machine with a cam going up down like the usual. the machine is very very quiet and because of the brass I think, is pretty much vibration free.
Here's the beast.
It comes with a soft and hard spring, but to be honest, I left it at the soft one, put maximum give and turned in 3/4 quarter turn maybe. And that's it. And that's perfect because I hate fiddling with rotaries as I can't rely on sound. I only adjust the work to do with the voltage and it's borderline perfect.

Lining :
So far I tried lining, fine bold one pass and sculpting, and it beats hands pretty much every rotaries I tried (stigma hyper, hawk thunder, former rotary works, egos, different direct drives, swashdrives gen7 and whip and I probably forgot some more). I line around 9 volts, more towards 9.5 the tighter the needles or smaller groupings.

Shading :
As for the shading I only uses 15 magnums with it at the moment, which is pretty much everything I use. (5 liner, 9 round sharder and 15 mags). The shading is SPOT ON. No marks whatsoever, blending is dead easy (I mean as easy as it can get obviously) and it's doesn't harm the skin, even with multiple pass, thanks to the give, which feels a lot like a coil.I shade around 8 to 8.5 volts.

Colouring :
I always preferred faster machine as I have a fast hand. Although I love slow a punchy packer, I like to be able to pack AND layer too on the same tattoo depending on the design. Same voltage as above, 8 to 8.5. And it's flawless. It goes in smooth, It tried a variety of pigments, from the most liquids I have (fantasia) which didn't splatter all over the place nor went back up the tube, to the thickest Waverly yellows and still did an incredible job.

Here are some tattoos I did with it. They haven't been touched up yet and not my best stuff but screw it I'll touch it up later when the time comes, it's for the machine hey ?

So to end the review, which I think as been over positive, I' ll just add the few negative spots about it (which aren't very much really). First and foremost, band snapping. I always had this issue with my RWs. I tried a few things, including Paul's clever way of crossing them around like an X but I changed for very slightly smaller bands and it's too much pressure on the bar. I only had one band snap in the week, but I when taking them off after the tattoo I noticed they were damaged with slight cuts. Second is the motor. I had absolutely no problems at all with this machine. None. But in the past my rotaryworks showed some inconstancies after a few month running day in day out, and (it may not even be the motor) they began slowing down a bit and having two machines that are the same but run different makes me uncomfortable. Although Dale is a perfect gentleman and sent me 2 motors to change. I was just raising the point that having such a good machine is a real pleasure, and I would mind paying the extra money for a top motor. (Don't get me wrong I m not saying those are bad !!). And one last thing which as been rectified is the nipple bar (i think Dale changed it some time ago) now has a small bit that prevent grommets to get torn apart. Awesome.

The bottom word is I WILL buy a set, seriously. Having hands problem lately and still loving my coils, it is the perfect replacement for me. Seriously guys. The ink flies in, with no damage, even when lining on bony parts, no spreading etc ... I have been very impressed with it and I made my work mates run it on one tattoo each and they were conquered and are gonna order some too.

Well that's it. Any questions please do feel free to ask

SKreitlow
08-09-2013, 12:01 AM
Right on. Sounds like its a winner. Is it a different motor than the original springer's? I just got a OG springer from dale and I'm loving it. Will defiantly get the upgrade next week when they drop. Probably pick up the new complete to when they are available. Anyone else gotten to use one yet?

elbo
08-09-2013, 01:23 AM
Sounds great....Ive been lucky enough to have a new rotary works ID liner for the past few weeks and to say im impressed is a understatement...I will post a review in the week....Its a spot on liner...

(Opted Out)
08-09-2013, 02:13 AM
Sounds great....Ive been lucky enough to have a new rotary works ID liner for the past few weeks and to say im impressed is a understatement...I will post a review in the week....Its a spot on liner...

Is it just a different motor to the standard i.d machine?... Or is there other changes too?

elbo
08-09-2013, 08:29 AM
Is it just a different motor to the standard i.d machine?... Or is there other changes too?

Stronger motor...very secure rca/clipcord posts as they now have metal screws....and a guide/recess for elastic bands...Top machine...

aurelien
08-09-2013, 02:14 PM
Then it's perfect to me, as it was my only concerns. Can't wait be rich and have a million of them

Jluv
08-09-2013, 02:31 PM
Hello everyone,
I received Dale's machine on monday, and got to try it all week so far.
And hell what a BRILLIANT all arounder that is !! I am seriously impressed with it. We all know Rotaryworks I think.
I had a couple of brass standards, and an aluminium springer just to let you know.
So this machine is a springer type machine with a cam going up down like the usual. the machine is very very quiet and because of the brass I think, is pretty much vibration free.
Here's the beast.
It comes with a soft and hard spring, but to be honest, I left it at the soft one, put maximum give and turned in 3/4 quarter turn maybe. And that's it. And that's perfect because I hate fiddling with rotaries as I can't rely on sound. I only adjust the work to do with the voltage and it's borderline perfect.

Lining :
So far I tried lining, fine bold one pass and sculpting, and it beats hands pretty much every rotaries I tried (stigma hyper, hawk thunder, former rotary works, egos, different direct drives, swashdrives gen7 and whip and I probably forgot some more). I line around 9 volts, more towards 9.5 the tighter the needles or smaller groupings.

Shading :
As for the shading I only uses 15 magnums with it at the moment, which is pretty much everything I use. (5 liner, 9 round sharder and 15 mags). The shading is SPOT ON. No marks whatsoever, blending is dead easy (I mean as easy as it can get obviously) and it's doesn't harm the skin, even with multiple pass, thanks to the give, which feels a lot like a coil.I shade around 8 to 8.5 volts.

Colouring :
I always preferred faster machine as I have a fast hand. Although I love slow a punchy packer, I like to be able to pack AND layer too on the same tattoo depending on the design. Same voltage as above, 8 to 8.5. And it's flawless. It goes in smooth, It tried a variety of pigments, from the most liquids I have (fantasia) which didn't splatter all over the place nor went back up the tube, to the thickest Waverly yellows and still did an incredible job.

Here are some tattoos I did with it. They haven't been touched up yet and not my best stuff but screw it I'll touch it up later when the time comes, it's for the machine hey ?

So to end the review, which I think as been over positive, I' ll just add the few negative spots about it (which aren't very much really). First and foremost, band snapping. I always had this issue with my RWs. I tried a few things, including Paul's clever way of crossing them around like an X but I changed for very slightly smaller bands and it's too much pressure on the bar. I only had one band snap in the week, but I when taking them off after the tattoo I noticed they were damaged with slight cuts. Second is the motor. I had absolutely no problems at all with this machine. None. But in the past my rotaryworks showed some inconstancies after a few month running day in day out, and (it may not even be the motor) they began slowing down a bit and having two machines that are the same but run different makes me uncomfortable. Although Dale is a perfect gentleman and sent me 2 motors to change. I was just raising the point that having such a good machine is a real pleasure, and I would mind paying the extra money for a top motor. (Don't get me wrong I m not saying those are bad !!). And one last thing which as been rectified is the nipple bar (i think Dale changed it some time ago) now has a small bit that prevent grommets to get torn apart. Awesome.

The bottom word is I WILL buy a set, seriously. Having hands problem lately and still loving my coils, it is the perfect replacement for me. Seriously guys. The ink flies in, with no damage, even when lining on bony parts, no spreading etc ... I have been very impressed with it and I made my work mates run it on one tattoo each and they were conquered and are gonna order some too.

Well that's it. Any questions please do feel free to ask
im guessing this isn't available yet? Great review btw defiantly will buy a rw on the back of this :)
have you tried or got the slimline rw was looking at getting one but I only really want it to line with?

aurelien
08-09-2013, 05:12 PM
No I haven't try it, but depending on what you like to use to line with (i like give, ie= my egos are set up black/yellow) this machine is perfect.

Dom
08-09-2013, 11:39 PM
Love the Ego's, a real good machine. Just bought a RW's so im yet to find out as well.

Jluv
08-10-2013, 02:49 AM
I love the ego for colour and blk n grey but never got on with lining just seemed really slow for me :-/

aurelien
08-10-2013, 07:20 AM
Yesh I had to slow down my hand too with the ego :/ but with rws I actually never had since they are on the faster side, I used to love lining with plain brasses

rotaryworks
08-24-2013, 04:00 PM
Many thanks for the review massive thank you .. Much respect nice clean tattooing super nice .. Many thanks dale ..

Neo
08-27-2013, 06:57 PM
Go 2 RW machines..... Wow, amazing ,quiet, low vib consistant machines at a good price. Not as big as they look either. I will do a small review soon but I think im switching from crankers to strickly ”R dubs” as I call them lol. Great machines