PDA

View Full Version : New To the forums

troub1edsou1z
08-22-2013, 08:26 PM
Hey everyone, just wanted to what's up. I've been reading quite a bit of the topics the past couple days and must say i'm learning a ton. I never really did a proper apprenticeship. I guess you could say most of what I have learned, I've had to learn on my own and it makes it really difficult. The dude that was apprenticing me was sort of a joke. I mean its bad when i knew more than he did. I really don't understand it, because his mentor is phenominal. So basically my apprenticeship was about 7 months of tracing outlines, setting up and breaking down. After that I was handed a machine and told to do a tattoo on him. He apparently liked it because I got a station. I know my stuff is crap compared to the levels I see on here. My bng is pretty solid, but color work is far from par. I look forward to learning what I can and helping where I can. I know enough about machine building to be able to put one together and tune it. Just from reading a few post I have already learned alot, that actually made sense as to why my techniques lack.....

Anyway just wanted to give a little rundown about myself and say Hi....

Jin
08-23-2013, 02:31 AM
Welcome to the forum. Sorry you've got a crap mentor. A lot of places in larger cities, especially in GA in my experience, offer terrible apprenticeships to make a quick buck and either kick you out the door or fill up an empty booth if they can't find someone else. Regardless, I hope you learn a lot from the forum. As long as you have dedication and respect for the art, I think you'll be fine. Looking forward to seeing your work!

tnglc
09-03-2013, 10:07 PM
Sorry your apprenticeship sucked, but Jin is right about GA. My cousin started tattooing slightly behind me. His dedication is strong, but his teaching was weak. His work suffers because no one was there to put a foot in his rear and train him right, they just took his money and left him hanging which really sucks. I hope you figure it all out.

nivek
09-03-2013, 10:15 PM
Welcome - I will say one thing about this place, regardless of where you come from you will learn a lot if you let yourself.

There are a bunch of people on here that are always willing to help, it can be a great resource, looking forward to seeing you around and posting.
Don't be afraid to ask and you will find it a great place to be.

Again, welcome !
N