PDA

View Full Version : Hyper V3 or Halo?

SKreitlow
08-23-2013, 07:03 PM
Hey guys, I tryed searching but could t find much on the V3. I recently picked up one in a trade. Just let me say first that its a beautifully crafted machine and runs awesome. I'm just having a hard time adjusting to the throw changing with the give. The few times I have used it I've struggled to find that sweet spot so I figured I'd ask here what you guys think and how your running it before I throw it up for trade. I know a lot of halo love here so I figure that's my next step if I can't make it work.

biggietattoos
08-23-2013, 08:50 PM
The v3 is my favorite color shader ever. I use it on all my color tattoos with 11bugpin and 15bugpin mags. I tighten the give all the way down to its hardest setting then dial it back 1.5-2 turns for my personal sweet spot. I run the machine at about 7.5 volts depending on the skin I turn it up or down from there. I LOVE that machine. Hopefully you find your groove with it. I too am dying to try out a halo I hear great things but there's no way I'd give up my hyper for one

vodu
08-23-2013, 09:01 PM
I trade all my h3 for halos. Both are good but I think the halo is more versatile

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

nivek
08-24-2013, 10:13 AM
I prefer the halos - 1-2 cams and there is NOTHING they can't do

asA
08-24-2013, 10:17 AM
Comes down to personal preference. . They both tattoo... but for me the hyper v3 tattoos nicer.

serial1313
08-24-2013, 10:33 AM
I agree w/ vodu & nivek. The $25 stroke wheels are a great inexpensive idea & makes the machine easily capable of anything. There are also so few parts that there isn't much that can go wrong w/ it. Also FK's customer service is great (I won't say the same about Stigma)& they are in the US so if you do have to send it back for some reason, you don't have to ship it overseas. I do have other Stigma machines that I like a whole lot, but as far as this comparison, I would have to go w/ the Halo.

Tazman
08-24-2013, 11:05 AM
I think that if you are going to be using the cartridge systems at all than that would have to play a factor in your over all comparison. I have used the hypers with the cartridge system but not the halo. The hyper isn't the best rotary that I have used with carts but not the worst. I believe you have to take out the stay up spring in both machines but the hyper seems to not like the carts when you use more give. I personally went all carts with a hawk and direct drives. But I would live to use the halo when I can get my hands on one. Just my two cents.

slicksteel
08-25-2013, 12:08 AM
Both great machines. But fki is here in the us with fast service .Artumus of stigma is on here also and will help you also asap.
What I like about the halo is the abilty to have one frame set up with say a 9mag and just swap motors with different cams size such as a 2.5 for some wash or blended areas then swap a 3.6 in for solid etc. If you paired it with a cart set up and a few motors/different cams you can do it all.Stroke actually affects the way a machine tattoos unlike a hawk that is still the same stroke no mater how much you adjust the needle hang on the grip.

cagelavey
08-26-2013, 01:09 PM
definitely stroke plays an integral part, not to say you cant do all with just one stroke, but defiately having multiple strokes makes life easier and more convenient. which in my opinion is why most switch to rotaries. imho, I switched to rotary because I wanted to focus on becoming a better artist not a better mechanic. years of working with coils, and still love them. but its the simplicity of the rotaries that I use that I love(i.e. neo vivace, different motor strokes). im soon to have a halo, I don't even have the machine yet but customer service has already made my experience great. but just through extensive research, it does seem that halo has less that needs tinkered with and less you have to worry about the give not working as well, from what ive learned its give system is unique and has more force in the down stroke which I would say makes it a little more efficient give system.

ccoppola
10-30-2013, 09:24 PM
I have both and love both of them. My hyper stopped working properly. (I later learned a client hit my chord and the machine took a drop to the floor). I emailed stigma and it's gonna be a pain in the ass to ship it overseas to fix it. It's been sitting in my drawer for 6 months now and I haven't gotten around to sending it. I love the machine, but I won't buy another stigma just for the fact that I can't get it easily serviced, which sucks because I love it. I've had excellent results with the spektra though and will probably buy another 1-2 of them w different stroke lengths. I feel both are high quality, the deciding factor for me is the servicing issue.

darkness
10-30-2013, 09:46 PM
the gen8 is like a hyper but better for me and works great with give and carts ...i dont like the balance of the hyper and the nipple shredder issue and the service -
i would recommend a halo or a gen ...

crabink
10-31-2013, 01:35 AM
Halos are the best rotary... very smooth.. quiet... and you can adjust it for any hit you want.
2.5 bng all day
3.2 color all day

sloba
11-08-2013, 05:59 PM
Few years ago I've switched to rotaries with V2, and since then I've bought over a dozen of all kinds of rotaries, including Stigma fly, V3, Dragonfly, Whip, Dino Cassarin Bazooka, etc, till a little over a year ago I was given at Assen convention Spektra Halo to try... After less than a minute of using it- BAM!!! DAMN! That's what I've been looking for throughout all 22 years of tattooing! I've bought two right away at the convention and haven't dropped them since... Shortest stroke wheel at 9,1V with 15 mag, smoothest shader I've ever used! And it improved my speed so much without quality loss... Sometimes even twice as fast as before! Pieta from attachment I did recently at guest spot in Nurnberg in about 4,5 hours, Frankenstein I did at Rotterdam convention in about 3,5 hours... 2252822529

cagelavey
11-08-2013, 10:12 PM
see that's, what im saying. its so hard to compare halos with other machines, coil and rotary alike. they are in a class all their own. its like the best aspects of a coil and what you desire from a rotary all in one. it should be what do you like better, coils, rotaries, or halos, lol.