PDA

View Full Version : RW MKII Springer Review...With a Difference..

skinmech
09-03-2013, 09:21 AM
Ok, so I got my RW MKII Springer a few weeks back, this is the Production Model, so it’s the one that is now available direct from Dale ....
I only run “no give” Rotaries, RW, Old Timer, Blitz....I am a long time user and lover of the OG Springer, because, ironically, it hits like a “no give” Machine when needed..

So, I got this about 2 weeks back and decided to use it on every tattoo I was working on ...I Lined with it, Shaded, Packed and carried out B&G and even tried some Dot work...If I am being honest, I tried to find a fault with it, remember this, as I will come back to it...Or at least a weakness, because the price suggests a low end Machine. So for a change, I decided to look for negatives..
It comes with two Springs, a Soft and a Hard, and they are colour coded, and take 15 secs to change over, simply, undo the thumb screw on the shaft, slacken off and remove the adjuster screw, pop out the spring, and change over, replace the adjuster screw, and tighten the thumb screw..It really is as simple as that..

So, remember, I was trying to be objective, and find any issues, as I know Dale prefers to tackle a problem, than to have a pat on the back...So, I kept the Soft spring in, and decided to Line with a Tight7RL...I kept the adjuster tightened down...And I was disappointed, as it worked like a treat, the 3.5mm stroke meant I could line the way I like with a nice “hang”..So, not to be out done, I changed over to a curved 13mag, and opened the adjuster a quarter turn... “There is at least two full turns on the adjuster, so the range of give is pretty extensive”...It ran the mag without any issues, as I said, I prefer hard hitting “no give” machines, so some people would prefer to open up the adjuster another quarter turn...
So on my quest to find a flaw in this build I decided to change over to the Hard spring...I always line with Coils, so, I tightened down the adjuster, then cracked it open half a turn, just to get some “bounce”...I loaded up a 9RL, and it really lined without a problem, I had to slow my handspeed just a touch, it runs faster than a Cranker, so you might have an idea what I mean...
I then ran it, with the Hard spring for some B&G, I ran it with just 2mm of “needle” and worked off the tube tip, was almost effortless, but, IMO fast hand is needed....

I ran both Hard and Soft springs for Shading/Blending and tbh, your preference will dictate what spring you prefer, the Soft spring “compressed”, is like the Hard spring “fully opened”, so basically, both springs complement each other....

I kept the Hard spring in for some Dot work, adjuster tightened all the way down, and “in and out” you can hear it bogging down and that is your “signal” that it is time to move on to the next dot..

I am from Coils, so I love the weight, it is nicely balanced, and the Brass absorbs any vibrations..I honestly can’t find any issues worth mentioning, and is it better than the OG Springer...I will reserve judgement, as I still love the OG Springer....Is the MKII worth the money, LOL, FUK YEAH.

If this was £75/$100 more expensive, it would still be Great Value for Money..

I intentionally left out the Volts I ran the Machine at, simply because, this is just a Review, not an Instruction Guide, I am sure you will all understand...I am happy to provide specifics, Please feel free to PM me....

Neo
09-03-2013, 05:28 PM
Nice, , those RW machines are awesome. I have a 4.5 stroke and 3.5 and there so good im gonna stick with these. I already sold 2 of my crankers and a stingray as im using Dales machines at the moment and there gonna be daily workhorses. If you never tried one grab one. No gives are great and they run smooth and are as quiet as a neotat which I love, also very low vibration on these, perfect little machines. I thought they were big but they are actualy small in the hand :-) ..... For springer give I use thick walled silicone groms , works like a charm when I want give or some damp.

skinmech
09-04-2013, 03:26 AM
Yep, a soft "squishy" gromm works wonders on any DD Machine, and offers a nice dampening effect...I mostly use them on my harder hitting Direct Drive Orbitals, Old timer etc, and my harder hitting Rotaries, RW Classic and the Blitz...

reigningink
09-04-2013, 05:34 AM
That's it.... I'm ordering one. So many possative reviews.... I guess I have to have one. This is yet another review that made my decision easy. Thanks skinmech

skinmech
09-04-2013, 08:43 AM
No probs, just spreading the word, LOL...

Dom
09-04-2013, 11:16 PM
Unbelievable review man!! Just like reigningink, I think i'll ordering 1 now!!

Heath
09-05-2013, 12:43 AM
Dale just sent a replacement motor for my friend's RW direct drive completely free of charge the other day to the US, shipping and all. That alone blew my mind that a guy is that upfront about his machines.

skinmech
09-05-2013, 06:03 AM
Motors take 5 mins to swap over....Just make sure your "drive mech" runs nice and linear...If the cam is too far forward, then it makes the machine more noisy, as it is working harder.....I have a tutorial on here, to show changing the motor on the Triple, it is more or less the same procedure, only easier,LOL..

casey
09-05-2013, 05:49 PM
Already own a og brass spinger which i use every day and have an old aluminium standard RW that I simply dont use (couldn't bear to part with it either!) contacted Dale regarding a new style spring system in aluminium to fit this model. Two days later and the post man drops it off ( along with a new 12V motor which Dale chose not to charge me for!) This has rejuvenated an unused machine into a daily workhorse without doubt, incredibly smooth and a joy to use:)

skinmech
09-05-2013, 06:18 PM
LOL, I ain't surprised.....People sometimes use the phrase "keeps it real".....Dale has surpassed all that hype..And "keeps it simple"....I would love to pick just one fault with him, or any of his builds...But, I genuinely can't find any...:p

nivek
09-05-2013, 11:45 PM
May have to try one.

1982geeeeb
09-17-2013, 04:34 PM
orderd one of these today going of this review! £195 posted you cant fault that plus the customer service you get with the machines is great, done my research on here about rotaryworks and yet to find a bad thing about them, you can buy 2 and you still got change out of the price for a top end rotary, is it realy worth paying a extra £250 or so on a top end rotary ect ect ect

artoftatt2
09-18-2013, 03:45 PM
I'm my goodness the liner and shader set are a must have.. These things are gold.. I just used the springer on a small bng tattoo and I am thrilled with how soft it is!

1982geeeeb
09-18-2013, 03:59 PM
yeh iv just used my springer, hard spring backed of 3/4 and its realy soft. i had a go with lining but its that linear the 5rl looked like it was a 3rl realy thin, think il stick with my coil for lining for now, might be becouse its only the 2.5 not enough stroke for lining, going to order a non springer tomorow for packing colour and lining

skinmech
09-18-2013, 04:39 PM
For Lining, keep the hard spring in....Tighten down the adjuster, then back off a quarter turn if using a hard gromm, if you are using a soft/silicone gromm then keep the adjuster tightened down....Don't be scared to up your volts...

I wouldn't try to line with any machine running a 2.5mm stroke.....;)

1982geeeeb
09-18-2013, 04:53 PM
yeh i no was pushing it with 2.5 but just wanted to get using it ( very impatient)
i think a 3.5 rw triple is on the cards for lining and packing colour. :cool:

skinmech
09-18-2013, 05:34 PM
IMO the RW Triple is the Best Rotary for Lining that I have used.......Ever...

cagelavey
09-18-2013, 07:24 PM
I talked to dale on facebook he said he would still make those triples custom if anyone wanted one still, everyone says they are badass liners I got to get one