PDA

View Full Version : mini crankers?

cagelavey
09-11-2013, 02:06 PM
can anyone tell me what it is about mini crankers that make them so much better for lining as apposed to any other top notch rotary? i hear a lot of praise for these machines for the use of lining but just don't know what it is that sets them apart, since i don't own one. ive just bought so many machines that i don't like, or i do like but never seen this vast improvement that people speak of.(with a few exceptions). i know quality plays a part and stroke, and motor, etc. but what is the singular thing that puts a cranker a step above? thanks.

wildboy
09-11-2013, 03:00 PM
you have to try one to experience it on your own...

cagelavey
09-11-2013, 03:30 PM
lol, i imagine i would have to try one to experience it on my own, i don't see any other way that could work out, lol. im just playing. i know that would be the best way to compare it. i just wanted to see if anyone could point out key factors that made it so, thanks for the feedback.

Baldrick
09-11-2013, 03:45 PM
Dans just an awesome dude ;) they just work - I dunno why but they just do - I now only line with one of my DK's or a coil, daily.

nivek
09-11-2013, 04:35 PM
Elves, magic elves.

Seriiously I don't know what it is that makes such a difference, but try one and you will see. I now have 6 and plan on a 7th a friend "may" want to sell me.

Wonderland
09-11-2013, 05:12 PM
I have the MC2 and it is wonderful to use. It is hard to explain why. Just break down and buy one.

cagelavey
09-11-2013, 05:15 PM
magic elves, lmao. that's cool guys thanks for the feedback. i guess it doesn't matter why it works if it does the job. ill definitely have to try one, to see what all the hype is about. damn good price, and quality from what i can see and from what i hear. but i do know me and im not gonna be satisfied with magic as a reason why, i may have to reach out to dan and see his opinions on why it does what it does, i have an insatiable need to know when it comes to machines. i just have to know what separates them from the masses.

Wonderland
09-11-2013, 05:35 PM
magic elves, lmao. that's cool guys thanks for the feedback. i guess it doesn't matter why it works if it does the job. ill definitely have to try one, to see what all the hype is about. damn good price, and quality from what i can see and from what i hear. but i do know me and im not gonna be satisfied with magic as a reason why, i may have to reach out to dan and see his opinions on why it does what it does, i have an insatiable need to know when it comes to machines. i just have to know what separates them from the masses.

there is something that just feels right about his machines. A no bullshit kinda right. they have a built in give to them that is just perfect.

cagelavey
09-11-2013, 05:45 PM
wonderland. is the give in the cam arm or in the armature? where is it built in? thanks

Wonderland
09-11-2013, 05:53 PM
its kinda built in in the connecting rod, Dan leaves just enough play for it to work right.

cagelavey
09-11-2013, 06:11 PM
thanks for the info.

tattood
09-12-2013, 03:37 PM
i think what makes them magic is the size of the cam. I think it builds quite a bit of momentum from that. Also on mine when i take my foot of the pedal it still spins for quite sometime which makes me think it has a lot force behind it. compared to other rotaries that simply stop when in the off position.. That along with the slight dampening are in my opinion what makes it magic. It is the only rotary I have used that stands above the others in performance.

cagelavey
09-12-2013, 06:26 PM
that's cool. definitely gotta get one. im sold. now the arduous task of trying to hide all my future purchases from my accountant(wife), lol. i have a long list of machines waiting to be bought. the cranker is getting bumped up on the list though.

tattood
09-12-2013, 06:40 PM
that's cool. definitely gotta get one. im sold. now the arduous task of trying to hide all my future purchases from my accountant(wife), lol. i have a long list of machines waiting to be bought. the cranker is getting bumped up on the list though.

LOL, been there :) I actually put off buying a cranker for quite sometime and wish I had not. When i finally did get one, It lived up to the hype and some!

tattood
09-30-2013, 10:15 AM
Anyone notice a huge difference in lining with a cranker with the metal clip that makes the machine no give. I noticed a huge difference, and I did not like it at all. It seems the one i have backs off quite a bit and seems to bog down a touch but does not snag resulting in great liner. The no give option just did not do it for me! Any thoughts

cagelavey
09-30-2013, 04:37 PM
is the no give clip coming standard or is that a separate purchase? id hate to get one based on how they ran previously only to find something different and not like it.

crabink
09-30-2013, 05:36 PM
Answer:
The weight of the armature bar and the fact that the nipple head is not fixed.. it actually moves freely up and down inside the armature but is encased in an o ring of some sort inside the armature itself .. this helps to recreate the stabbing of a coil machine on the downstroke, similar to a whipping action, but with the perfectly controlled depth of a rotary crank shaft. Very well made...

tattood
09-30-2013, 06:42 PM
is the no give clip coming standard or is that a separate purchase? id hate to get one based on how they ran previously only to find something different and not like it.

You'd have to ask Dan. But it seems his newer models dont have the amount of give as the older ones. TBH, I used the cranker with no give and it lined just like all the other rotaries I have used, no magic. Now, with the built in give, it is like butter! Just like crabink said....

gangstajay
09-30-2013, 07:07 PM
I owned 2 of the MC-13 I don't ever remembering it having any give..the plastic crank arm is not a give system. he makes a great machine the proper stroke and proper motor with the proper torque is what seemed to make the kubin a really good machine for everything. have not had a chance to use one of the new MC-14 I would bet to say the reason he changed from plastic crank arm to metal is for the wear factor, I could be wrong. I am sure he will respond sooner or later.

tattood
09-30-2013, 09:12 PM
I owned 2 of the MC-13 I don't ever remembering it having any give..the plastic crank arm is not a give system. he makes a great machine the proper stroke and proper motor with the proper torque is what seemed to make the kubin a really good machine for everything. have not had a chance to use one of the new MC-14 I would bet to say the reason he changed from plastic crank arm to metal is for the wear factor, I could be wrong. I am sure he will respond sooner or later.

maybe give isnt the right way to put it. But unlike other no gives the needle backs off on mine and I like it. It is probably because of the wear on the plastic mine does that(mc 12), but as I said for myself it seems to function better for how i Line. Maybe dampening would be a better way to put it, what ever it is, it lines like no other. It is much different than say a true no give, like a neotat or impact.

gangstajay
09-30-2013, 10:11 PM
maybe give isnt the right way to put it. But unlike other no gives the needle backs off on mine and I like it. It is probably because of the wear on the plastic mine does that(mc 12), but as I said for myself it seems to function better for how i Line. Maybe dampening would be a better way to put it, what ever it is, it lines like no other. It is much different than say a true no give, like a neotat or impact.
no doubt..and I tell you the mini cranker is a dam fine liner...I miss mine. and would love to have another one...I love lining with my whips.but the first version of the DK was a beast of a liner

gangstajay
09-30-2013, 10:13 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dan-kubin-rotary-tattoo-machine-/251349572838?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a859a1ce6

asa_castle
10-01-2013, 09:22 PM
i prefer the original mini cranker as well for lining

tattood
10-01-2013, 10:19 PM
i prefer the original mini cranker as well for lining

thanks, glad someone is on the same page as I

nivek
10-01-2013, 10:34 PM
I have 4 of them and I wouldn't sell one of them... period I have the new mc2 and its a BEAST for colour packing.

Heath
10-01-2013, 11:35 PM
now the arduous task of trying to hide all my future purchases from my accountant(wife), lol.

Walmart has these Greendot money cards hidden where they sell gift cards at a select cashier aisle. Grab a card with the wad of cash in your pocket, plus about $7 to cover the card and go to the cashier and tell her you want to add x amount to the card and pay with cash. Then go home, scratch off your new secret code and add this money to your PayPal account. Then buy whatever machine(s) your heart desires.

crabink
10-01-2013, 11:41 PM

Next time you get a mc13... crab the nipple head.. it will move up and down inside the armature bar as if it is encased in rubber... its not give because it allows the armature to strike harder and whip a little bit.. adding a little stab to the hit...