PDA

View Full Version : Is this really a tattoo forum?

hendricksonart.com
04-11-2011, 02:25 PM
Every ones all nice and stuff its got me weirded out, where is all the egos. hahahah

Administrator
04-11-2011, 02:36 PM
The egos all hang out in the forum staff area. ;)

The Limey
04-11-2011, 03:11 PM
The egos all hang out in the forum staff area. ;)

What he said!

slicksteel
04-11-2011, 03:30 PM
lol!

Rattus
04-11-2011, 03:56 PM
I commend the way this site has ego's checked in at the door for the most part. With the wide variety of artists and builders, I've yet to see anything to harsh on the ego spectrum. This is a nice place and other places could learn from it.

gangstajay
04-11-2011, 04:08 PM
damm right what all of you said... I think all of us have been on others site .. I dont think anyone here is trying to get there ego stroked just good down to earht artits who want to learn and grow!!!! THANKS

Administrator
04-11-2011, 04:24 PM
There are egos but there are also people with a very thin skin that will make others appear as bullies. The fact that this forum is not completely anonymous helps a little keeping the bullies in check but at the same time when you ask for help you need to get that criticism constructive or not is still there to help you learn something.

The internet is also a big game of broken telephone and no matter what you say some people will still hear purple elephant.

hendricksonart.com
04-11-2011, 09:18 PM
Do you guys actually critique? Ive never really seen that done in forums people are to scared to critique it seems, would love to get some honest feed back on tattoos. Ill post some done with rotary s soon

The Limey
04-11-2011, 09:36 PM
Do you guys actually critique?

When you post something just ask for a critique and I'm 99.9% sure you'll get one.

Administrator
04-11-2011, 10:26 PM
Remember if you post work cause you want help is best to keep an open mind. Making excuses as a rebuttal to everything people suggest or critique will never show you are learning. Better to ask questions about what people suggest if you don't get it. You may get advice from someone who you may not think has work as strong as you but always remember even the best athletes in the word still have coaches. A different pair of eyes helps a lot when you are stuck on something.

If all else fails and you still don't like what people have to say you can always fill out this form (http://uboachan.net/x/src/1296923633603.jpg) and submit it back to the forum staff. :)

fatcashdaddy
04-11-2011, 11:58 PM
I came to this site because its a rotary forum and NOT a tattoo critique forum. I have my opinions on tattoo's (various styles and such) but thats not why I joined a "rotary" forum. look for the thread on needle runners and you'll see quite few critiques and not all of them good. search my thread "anyone familiar with this machine" and you'll see exactly why I came to this site. I came here to learn about rotary tattoo machines and the people who use,make, fix and /or sell them, not to critique others tattoo work..Its also a great resource for other tattoo products I may have not otherwise heard of. I learned of the T-tech system through this site (which I love) and needle runners (which I hate). I've also been exposed to rotary machines from various builders and some machines posted from other members that I may not have heard of. I've gotten reviews of machines that I may or may not have wanted to spend my hard earned money on. there are some who search the internet and ebay and post of new products they find... all of this,to me, is what makes this forum valuable....

gangstajay
04-12-2011, 12:09 AM
I came to this site because its a rotary forum and NOT a tattoo critique forum. I have my opinions on tattoo's (various styles and such) but thats not why I joined a "rotary" forum. look for the thread on needle runners and you'll see quite few critiques and not all of them good. search my thread "anyone familiar with this machine" and you'll see exactly why I came to this site. I came here to learn about rotary tattoo machines and the people who use,make, fix and /or sell them, not to critique others tattoo work..Its also a great resource for other tattoo products I may have not otherwise heard of. I learned of the T-tech system through this site (which I love) and needle runners (which I hate). I've also been exposed to rotary machines from various builders and some machines posted from other members that I may not have heard of. I've gotten reviews of machines that I may or may not have wanted to spend my hard earned money on. there are some who search the internet and ebay and post of new products they find... all of this,to me, is what makes this forum valuable....

you have a very good point...well said.

hendricksonart.com
04-12-2011, 09:30 AM
didnt come here for critiques just thought i saw some lurking around

Administrator
04-12-2011, 10:13 AM
All I am saying is the best way to ask for help is not to just say how do you so this and expect answers. Its usually better to show what you are trying to do and ask people to help you out with getting there. Critique or not this is a place to share info. A lot of this forum is locked down from the general public unlike a lot of other forums online related to tattooing so there should never be fear of information falling in the wrong hands... that idea never even made sense to me.

My point is its amazing to see places like facebook where tattooers share info, talk about work, compliment eachother, offer advice and nothing is archived or searchable. Here its all kept easy to find and search so its good to post a lot even if its just talking about the products you hate.

slicksteel
04-12-2011, 07:02 PM
on that note I hate plastic based ink!superiors realy sucks! but hey I am sure it works for some people thoe just not for me!

Rattus
04-12-2011, 07:11 PM
Do you guys actually critique? Ive never really seen that done in forums people are to scared to critique it seems, would love to get some honest feed back on tattoos. Ill post some done with rotary s soon

Many can't handle a "real" critique of their work.

btw, checked your site: Nice oils. Coffee Drinker (http://www.hendricksonart.com/art_galleries/art_53072.html)is so me in the morning. lol

gangstajay
04-12-2011, 09:53 PM
well from what I can see on you webb is dammm... shit is dope there brother

fkirons
04-13-2011, 12:14 AM
Truth never hurts, it tinkles

fkirons
04-13-2011, 12:16 AM
And if you are hurt then you just heard the truth

andrewc
04-13-2011, 08:49 AM
There are egos but there are also people with a very thin skin that will make others appear as bullies. The fact that this forum is not completely anonymous helps a little keeping the bullies in check but at the same time when you ask for help you need to get that criticism constructive or not is still there to help you learn something.

The internet is also a big game of broken telephone and no matter what you say some people will still hear purple elephant.

WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE SHOOTING OFF ABOUT PURPLE ELEPHANTS!!!! lol just kiddin... purple monkey dishwasher

Alie K
04-13-2011, 10:50 AM

There are a few here and there. Most people will simply give a thumbs-up if they like it, and not say anything if they don't (or just didn't see it get posted). Anytime I've asked an opinion on something, I've gotten some great info, and now and again, I'll see someone post something asking what they could do to make it better, and I only hope that my response might get them to look at it at a different angle.

I guess it's a matter of asking if you want a critique, and as others have said, many are too thin-skinned to handle some honesty, so instead of getting hurt, they just won't post or ask for opinions.

Sure it's more of a show-and-tell here, but there are plenty of people to ask and who will respond if you only ask them to.

gangstajay
04-13-2011, 12:23 PM
alie hit the nail on the head.. but it is one thing to give an honest critique, it is another to just rip someone like telling them they suck ass, they should cut there hands off...etc. if they are working in a shop and trying to progress just my 2 cent

Administrator
04-13-2011, 01:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EY7lYRneHc
Truth never hurts, it tinkles

gangstajay
04-13-2011, 01:31 PM
that is fucking funny as hell

hendricksonart.com
04-19-2011, 12:28 AM
hey thanks for the compliments, critiques are a strange breed I am on websites that are suppose to have them and people still don't do them. I have had art teachers that would just let me have it, as well as mentored by some great tattoo artist that were more then honest with my work. I definitely think a second set of eyes helps in every way regardless of there skill level and yours. I see things in tattoos that I would possibly change that my self couldn't touch as a whole piece. I came on here to learn about rotarys but quickly noticed a few things about this site that seemed different.

Inkslinger
08-31-2011, 12:55 PM
THAT is why I joined this forum, the people are great. I've been on other forums where it seemed like people and "artists" just sat there waiting to POUNCE on someone and/or their work.
It's a llllll good here. LOVE this site and the people.
Russ

Mr.Taboo
08-31-2011, 02:48 PM
The section to post if you're lookin' for critiques is : C'mon! Tear Me a New One! -Tattoo-Gallery-Critique (http://www.rotarytattoo.com/forumdisplay.php/48-C-Mon%21-Tear-Me-a-New-One%21-%28Tattoo-Gallery-Critique%29)
It's members only so you don't have to worry about a customer wandering in seeing the critiques and goin' " OMG these guys think my tattoo is less than 110% perfect what'll I do ".

One of the reasons I stayed after my first few visits here is the lack of egos/rockstars just people with a common interest and a desire to make themselves better.
The critiques I've seen have been legit and not the "you suck" , "stop tattooing" crap but genuinely helpful things regarding application and techniques.

Administrator
08-31-2011, 04:31 PM
There has been talk of locking down even more of the site down the road. for now only about 30% of it is visible to the public but mostly to help people find the site.

Cyberitual
09-05-2011, 12:49 PM
Is it possible to have a referral system for current members? Where a current member can make accounts for there referrals with no admin approval. Then for non referrals have one open thread to the public to introduce themselves with a link to there personal promotions or there work, and have a member voting system to vote in those prospective members? 5 votes total? Could make for a more interactive introduction for current members with the new prospects and generate a warm welcome or possibly a definate cold shoulder. Would that be more work for you or help you out in the long run if all that were possible? That way you can lock her down.

Alie K
09-05-2011, 10:32 PM
I'd much rather not do any of that. I personally like that I have control over my forum, and for the most part, who is on here. I have some help from people I trust to weed out spammers and non-professionals from causing the rest of the members (and myself) headaches. To be honest, and no offense to anyone, but the last thing I'd want is for members to refer their buddy, who refers their buddy, who refers their cousin who knows a guy who just made a machine out of a hairdryer motor and wants to find out a little info here and there on how to use it.

It's way easier for me to deny a potential member from the start, rather than having to weed through posts that people are alerting me about and deleting problems which potentially can 'break' the forum, meaning I have to contact my hoster, and hope he's not trying to have a nice quiet weekend so that he can fix my broken mess of a website.

Also, locking down too much of the website is totally going to screw with the SEO that I'm trying to maintain, which attracts new members who use google to find answers to rotary machine questions. There's not a lot of info available to the general public on here. If you are unsure of where to post that is not visible to the public, check out this thread (http://www.rotarytattoo.com/showthread.php/1422-What-s-private-info-what-s-not).

Thanks for your ideas on trying to improve the forum experience, but unless it's a VB app (that is preferably free as this software and licensing cost me enough money already) I don't think I'll be changing anything anytime too soon. I have had members make some very interesting suggestions, some I've taken to heart, some are just not practical.

Thanks again,
-Alie