PDA

View Full Version : Ikarus Rotary first impressions

OwlsDen
09-15-2013, 07:27 AM
So I received my machine a few days ago. I ordered mine in black, but he has told me that he can do most any color. He also offered me a new version with an adjustable cam. Which I naturally wanted. So I received my machine about a week after ordering, living in Europe it wasn't far for him to ship it to me. One of the best parts of any purchase of this type is communication. He went above and beyond and sent me pictures of the build along the way.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/15/qu5eve8y.jpg

This was a nice touch and I have no idea, if he always does this but his communication was perfect.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/15/qunu4ena.jpg

This is the photo he sent when the build was finished.

I received the machine packaged very well, it was in a shipping envelope wrapped in bubble wrap and in its own box. The box also has foam sides, so the machine can't move at all.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/15/2y9y9u7a.jpg

Well, enough of that., On to the good stuff. How does it perform? Very well. The over all design is smart and fairly original ( even if it looks derivative of other machines ) . It is lighter and smaller than a brass Rotary Works. If I had to compare it to another machine, I think the original Swiss is the closest mechanically. Although the motor on the Ikarus is a good bit faster, the vibration and sound are about the same. Which means very little sound or vibration.

I decided to first try it as a fine liner as the lack of vibration seemed perfect for a 3rl. This is what I miss the most about the NeoTat that I had , and it performed very comparable. It lined perfectly with a 3, and I was able to just relax and tattoo. At no point was I compensating for vibration, or having to over think what I was doing. I often consider that a measure of how good a machine is. If I have to think about the machine while using it, then it might not be for me. For fine lining I was running the machine at about 7.8 volts on a Critical CX-1 G2.

The next tattoo I did was filling in background on a chest piece and I used an 11mag and ran the machine a bit faster around 8.8 - 9 volts. Again it was very smooth and I would say that it's ability for grey wash and color work to be fairly effortless. I also dropped it down to about 7 volts to do a bit of salt and pepper shading, and then back up to around 8 for some color blending. All of this was flawless.

The last two tattoos that I did with this machine, I used it as a liner. Both times with a 5rl, and at around 8 volts. For one I was doing some semi-old school roses and wanted to have thicker lines and wanted it to as effortless as possible. So I opened the needle up a bit with a lighter ( still one of my favourite old school tricks ) and made it about the size of a normal 8rl. Now granted I could have just used an 8rl but I am using a machine that I am not 100% used too and wanted the tattoo to be easy on me, and it was. I have always found that no give rotaries line easier with loose needles.

The last one was a walk in that wanted a little umbrella on his foot, I drew it in and tattooed it on easily with a normal 5rl.

To surmise, I truly believe this is a class act machine. The price I paid was 140€ shipped and that is very reasonable for any machine. He could charge 200€ and I would still think it is worth it. One of the most interesting features of this machine is that the motor ( Mabuchi I believe ) becomes the body, which also air cools the motor very well. I have easily put nearly 10 hours on this machine already and I never noticed it getting warm.

As for the adjustable cam, I have not even messed with it. Mine came set at 4mm and for now it will stay there. I love to have the option and may set it around 2.5 for some soft black and grey at some point, but overall 4mm works well for me.

The geometry is very good for disposables and I have plenty of room for adjustment even with a lot of needle hang. The thumbscrew on the vice is also very nice and it has a plastic washer so the in no rubbing metal on metal. It is also easy to turn and stays very secure while tattooing.

Pros: inexspenive, low vibration, very quiet, and versatile. It is a good all a rounder and good addition for anyone to have.

Cons: it is slightly heavier than say a dragonfly or a Rapier II. The washer that holds the crank arm in place on the A-bar is moved out of alignment, the machine will start to make some noise. I found out when I was switching out the stock grommet for silicone tubing. Pops rubber bands almost as often as my Rotary Works does.

All in all, I like the machine a lot. Is it a perfect liner, maybe not but it is a good liner. A little give and it could be a great liner. As for a shader it's great and I handily believe it can push larger mags too. The amount of power it has is impressive and it was very hard to bog down the motor at all.

Ok, hope that helps and isn't too long winded. If you want to find him, he is on Facebook as Ikarus Rotary and the price is 180$ to the Americas or 140€ to Europe. I am in no way affiliated with Ikarus, just a very happy customer. I am more than happy to answer any questions.

skinmech
09-15-2013, 08:54 AM
Nice Review, thanks for taking the time out.....

gangstajay
09-15-2013, 09:20 AM
thanks owlsden its funny how a month or so ago when I invited this builder to the page how people bashed him because of the videos on his page. glad to see people giving his machine a chance and he has improved the machine as I see now.... thanks for the review

OwlsDen
09-15-2013, 01:33 PM
thanks owlsden its funny how a month or so ago when I invited this builder to the page how people bashed him because of the videos on his page. glad to see people giving his machine a chance and he has improved the machine as I see now.... thanks for the review

I hope we can get some better visibility for his machines, especially in a positive light. They are very solid machines, and I think they will only get better from here.

Jack Steel
09-16-2013, 03:41 AM
they look good , and for that money , it's crazy nice
hope they last !

OwlsDen
09-17-2013, 05:36 AM
Just wanted to show a little size comparison if anyone was wondering. Here it is compared to a Rotary Works ( old style brass ) and a Rapier II.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/17/uhybybaj.jpg

gangstajay
09-17-2013, 08:49 AM
oh and i used mine with some needle runners yesterday and worked really well.21632and here is a pic of my toy from Mark, its his DD that he made. it is in the mail do when it arrives I will give it a go.

gangstajay
09-17-2013, 08:50 AM
oh and i used mine with some needle runners yesterday and worked really well.21632and here is a pic of my toy from Mark, its his DD that he made. it is in the mail do when it arrives I will give it a go.and it also has an adjustable cam

gangstajay
09-17-2013, 08:58 AM
dont know why it posted 2 times..lol

OwlsDen
09-17-2013, 09:43 AM
dont know why it posted 2 times..lol

You just wanted to rub it in twice, haha. Looks sweet man. I love the inlay mother of pearl on that. Let me know how it runs, I may have to get one too. I have just switched over to metal tipped disposables and have been meaning to start running more direct drives.

gangstajay
09-17-2013, 06:22 PM
You just wanted to rub it in twice, haha. Looks sweet man. I love the inlay mother of pearl on that. Let me know how it runs, I may have to get one too. I have just switched over to metal tipped disposables and have been meaning to start running more direct drives.
the needle runners work great with them..Jimmie turned me onto that lil trick..I have 2 dd I dont use much but since the needle runners I am gonna put them in the rotation...I just love using my whips for line work

No Iron Machines
09-18-2013, 10:36 AM
LOOK NICE,

did this machine have STY UP SPRING ???? the needles stop INSIDE TUBES or WATHEVER ????

OwlsDen
09-18-2013, 02:19 PM
LOOK NICE,

did this machine have STY UP SPRING ???? the needles stop INSIDE TUBES or WATHEVER ????

No stay up spring. Not a concern of mine either.

gangstajay
09-18-2013, 08:45 PM
No stay up spring. Not a concern of mine either.

mine either

reigningink
09-19-2013, 05:30 AM
Owl, after you mentioned an adjustable cam I had to get one for mine. Its on its way. My ikarus is the 4.2mm version, and its great for laying color. I'm looking forward to slapping that new cam on it, shortening the stroke, and trying some black&grey. Maybe even lining...... who knows

OwlsDen
09-19-2013, 07:05 AM
Owl, after you mentioned an adjustable cam I had to get one for mine. Its on its way. My ikarus is the 4.2mm version, and its great for laying color. I'm looking forward to slapping that new cam on it, shortening the stroke, and trying some black&grey. Maybe even lining...... who knows

I wish you all the best, glad to hear it. I have only lined 5s and 3s let me know if you go bigger.

gangstajay
09-19-2013, 07:32 AM
that 4.2 should be great for lining.

saint john
09-29-2013, 01:34 PM
after reading some of these favorable comments I sprang for a direct drive and an inline, both with adjustable cams and the abalone faceplate. once they arrive and I've had a chance to use them a few times i'll give my $.02.

OwlsDen
09-29-2013, 03:05 PM
after reading some of these favorable comments I sprang for a direct drive and an inline, both with adjustable cams and the abalone faceplate. once they arrive and I've had a chance to use them a few times i'll give my $.02.

Best of luck to you. I hope you like them. I have had a few issues with lexan tubes slipping a little but otherwise my experience has been very good with mine.

saint john
10-01-2013, 12:38 PM
can someone tell me how to post a jpg? I've done it before, but either I or my computer aren't working correctly. thanks

serial1313
10-01-2013, 01:28 PM
In the reply window below, click on the 3rd icon from the right & that will let you upload pictures.

tatu richie
10-01-2013, 01:50 PM
whats the price on these shipped?

OwlsDen
10-01-2013, 03:58 PM
whats the price on these shipped?

180$

tatu richie
10-01-2013, 08:44 PM
180$
shit man gotta get me a couple for sure

cagelavey
10-01-2013, 11:46 PM
do these run anywhere similar to the mini cranker? seems like they might be similar in function

serial1313
10-01-2013, 11:51 PM
I don't own one so I'm not sure about this, but I don't think the tip of the armature bar where the nipple goes has any movement to it like the Kubin does.

OwlsDen
10-02-2013, 03:08 AM
I don't own one so I'm not sure about this, but I don't think the tip of the armature bar where the nipple goes has any movement to it like the Kubin does.

Correct no extra movement there.

cagelavey
10-02-2013, 04:02 AM
would it be possible to use a kubin arm on it? they look kinda similar. just wondering

OwlsDen
10-02-2013, 05:52 AM
would it be possible to use a kubin arm on it? they look kinda similar. just wondering

No idea, you would need to measure one. But I don't think that would give you the full Kubin experience. My understanding his give system relies on the bar and the crank arm. I doubt that the parts would be completely swappable. Besides why would you want to? Each machine has its own merits.

gangstajay
10-02-2013, 06:42 AM
No idea, you would need to measure one. But I don't think that would give you the full Kubin experience. My understanding his give system relies on the bar and the crank arm. I doubt that the parts would be completely swappable. Besides why would you want to? Each machine has its own merits.
what he said

cagelavey
10-02-2013, 08:25 AM
Just an inquiry more than anything, just born curiosity

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 4

saint john
10-02-2013, 06:28 PM
21943these are my new children that i'm adopting from Slovenia. their real father(mark lemer) has been sending me pictures during their creation. hope they run as good as they look.

OwlsDen
10-02-2013, 07:15 PM
Cool and congrats they look good as a matched set with both having mother of pearl. Hope you like them. I am waiting on a Direct drive from him myself. Hope you tell us all about it when you get it.

OwlsDen
10-04-2013, 12:17 PM
So I modded mine today. I was attempting to introduce a little give. Just a hair in hopes to make it a better liner. I will test the results tomorrow. But I thought I would share it with everyone. As the cost is about 2¢ .

The crank arm is held in place by a fiber washer and the hole is large to accommodate the flange on the fiber washer. So I had noticed that if this slid to far back it created a little noise and I wanted to correct that too. So I cut some silicone tubing and replaced the fiber washer with that but made it a hair bigger as to accommodate the extra space as the old washer moved slightly.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/05/yryrurat.jpg

I then added the spacer back in and ran the machine. Well it runs quiet and as an added bonus the silicon tube is just slightly smaller than the washer that was there. Thus allowing the top hole of the crank arm to slide back an forth on the armature bar. So I thumbed the a bar and noticed that the crank arm slid forward a little and shortened the stroke slightly. So now I have a small amount of preset give. I will be trying it out for lining tomorrow to see if it is a big improvement or not. Good luck if you want to try this out too.

tattood
10-04-2013, 12:49 PM
So I modded mine today. I was attempting to introduce a little give. Just a hair in hopes to make it a better liner. I will test the results tomorrow. But I thought I would share it with everyone. As the cost is about 2¢ .

The crank arm is held in place by a fiber washer and the hole is large to accommodate the flange on the fiber washer. So I had noticed that if this slid to far back it created a little noise and I wanted to correct that too. So I cut some silicone tubing and replaced the fiber washer with that but made it a hair bigger as to accommodate the extra space as the old washer moved slightly.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/05/yryrurat.jpg

I then added the spacer back in and ran the machine. Well it runs quiet and as an added bonus the silicon tube is just slightly smaller than the washer that was there. Thus allowing the top hole of the crank arm to slide back an forth on the armature bar. So I thumbed the a bar and noticed that the crank arm slid forward a little and shortened the stroke slightly. So now I have a small amount of preset give. I will be trying it out for lining tomorrow to see if it is a big improvement or not. Good luck if you want to try this out too.

please let us know how it goes. I was considering doing something similar to all of my Abar rotaries. In essence trying to immulate the OG cranker give..

OwlsDen
10-05-2013, 08:05 AM
We'll it works. It works pretty much as I had hoped. I did a little lining today and it was easy. However the needle sits a little forward of center in the tube and although it didn't cause any problems, I could see it causing spraying. Or the needle eyelet could possibly slip off if a rubber band were to break. Maybe if the tube vice sat further out and the needle bar was just a little longer it would be perfect. I would say that now it gets almost a full millimeter of give. I think it would be best suited at 7-9 rls. I used a 5 today, but I almost thought it was going in too fast.

slicksteel
10-05-2013, 11:27 AM
Maybe throw a washer under that vice to move it forward to line the bar up straight.

OwlsDen
10-05-2013, 12:06 PM
Maybe throw a washer under that vice to move it forward to line the bar up straight.

Yeah, that would probably solve most concerns. I might have to do that. Once I run it a little more I will give a few ideas to Mark and see what he says. You never know if this works well enough he might want to use the idea himself.

saint john
11-03-2013, 11:28 AM
here's an update on the two machines, one linear and the other direct, that I got from mark lemer in Slovenia. I wanted to use them both for multiple uses before I wrote. I've had no problems with these since I received them. I've used both for lining and coloring, and I've used the direct for black and grey, lining and coloring. the cams are adjustable and so it's nothing more than the turn of an allen set screw if you want the stroke lengthened or shortened. I would have to say I've been the most impressed with the linear machines ability to line with, just a beautiful line made with ease and no struggles. on par with some of my favorite machines, and I have a generation 8, a kubin liner, an amoeba direct and an impact. I paid a little extra($35) for the abalone faceplates and it gives them a classy look that's more than worth it. mark sent pics of the whole assembly process right up to the day they were shipped. I think I had them in less than 2 weeks from order date. if I had to search for any issues to complain about I would say that on the linear there is needed a little better setup for your rubberbands to lay. I made a small notch to correct this issue. no problem. 2nd, the tubevicescrew didn't hold the tubes completely tight. the fix was nothing more than removing the washer on each brass hold down screw, and voila, tighter than a tick. I paid slightly over $400 for both these machines total and they are more than worth it! thanks mark for your attention to detail.

R0st0ck
08-23-2015, 03:16 AM
Hey Guys.....now i have 3 Machines from Mark and i love them all....2 A-Bars and one Directdrive....no Problems with them

Here is a little Pic from a work,i did last week with Marks machines

visualamor
08-24-2015, 05:59 PM
Does it have a lot of torque on the low volts? Looks great.