PDA

View Full Version : Marilyn Monroe on A Pound of Flesh hand

Heath
09-24-2013, 07:08 PM
Did this today. Been itching to tattoo one of these hands for a while. Used Waverly Bluebird.

scottrallen
09-24-2013, 07:09 PM
Well done, man! How was it to tattoo on?

gangstajay
09-25-2013, 12:41 AM
yes anyone that has used these please fill us in on how they are to work with..I remmber those practice skins were horrible..damn

Heath
09-25-2013, 12:51 AM
Sorry just now saw the questions. Lining they are easy to do, they require a bit more pressure to get the line as solid, but are not hard to line. Color packing is the same. Shading, for me, was harder only because I prefer to whip shade with gray wash and you can't do that... BUT the small circle shading, ON THIS (not skin) looks pretty smooth... it's how I shaded everything on this, minus the detal stuff like the eyelid and cheek line, etc. For that I used a liner and just whip shaded with the liner and it worked fine. The rubber or whatever it is gets a little chewed up if you line over it more than once, or next to a line so it's more sensitive than skin...but it doesn't show really. The thumb where I shaded was chewed up a bit...but still looks good I think.

It's definitely worth getting to show off a 3D, "real" tattoo to a client. That's why I wanted it more or less. I think pictures do tattoos an injustice...and I wanted my first portrait to be on something I could keep, of a famous person, not on myself. So it was a win-win I think. $50 isn't much either.

All in all, I am wanting to get a few more and do more of these, then they will be awesome decoration for the shop, and great conversation starters for more custom work rather than cheesy infinity symbols all the time. Also, I tattooed the fingernails for fun...as they have no color on them.

tatu richie
09-25-2013, 03:36 AM
Sorry just now saw the questions. Lining they are easy to do, they require a bit more pressure to get the line as solid, but are not hard to line. Color packing is the same. Shading, for me, was harder only because I prefer to whip shade with gray wash and you can't do that... BUT the small circle shading, ON THIS (not skin) looks pretty smooth... it's how I shaded everything on this, minus the detal stuff like the eyelid and cheek line, etc. For that I used a liner and just whip shaded with the liner and it worked fine. The rubber or whatever it is gets a little chewed up if you line over it more than once, or next to a line so it's more sensitive than skin...but it doesn't show really. The thumb where I shaded was chewed up a bit...but still looks good I think.

It's definitely worth getting to show off a 3D, "real" tattoo to a client. That's why I wanted it more or less. I think pictures do tattoos an injustice...and I wanted my first portrait to be on something I could keep, of a famous person, not on myself. So it was a win-win I think. $50 isn't much either.

All in all, I am wanting to get a few more and do more of these, then they will be awesome decoration for the shop, and great conversation starters for more custom work rather than cheesy infinity symbols all the time. Also, I tattooed the fingernails for fun...as they have no color on them.

thnx for the info, very helpful

gangstajay
09-25-2013, 09:48 AM
one other question...what did you use to apply the stencil and how long did you let it dry?

Heath
09-25-2013, 10:38 AM
Ended up an hour later angry and unsuccessful using stencil stuff. So I used Dettol on a paper towel, pressed the stencil down and held it dry with my left hand and dabbed Dettol on top lightly. It stuck while putting on a stencil clean enough to see. Then I reinforced it with a skin scribe and then 3 hours later hair sprayed it to dry overnight as the company recommends this.

Heath
09-25-2013, 10:45 AM
And I've tattooed the fake skin before and it's terrible compared to this. Going into this I expected to have terrible results...and it turned out nice.

gangstajay
09-25-2013, 11:13 AM
Ended up an hour later angry and unsuccessful using stencil stuff. So I used Dettol on a paper towel, pressed the stencil down and held it dry with my left hand and dabbed Dettol on top lightly. It stuck while putting on a stencil clean enough to see. Then I reinforced it with a skin scribe and then 3 hours later hair sprayed it to dry overnight as the company recommends this.
thanks for the info

johndameart
09-25-2013, 12:43 PM
Very nice man

jasonadelinia
09-25-2013, 06:49 PM
Thanks for the info! These seem like a great idea, especially to show the general public what is actually possible!

HEX_TATTOOS
12-23-2014, 07:31 PM

Thanks for the info. Just picked one up today so this gives me a lil more knowledge going into it

Dreviltattoo
12-23-2014, 09:23 PM
looks cool. def not easy to tattoo.

poleson
12-23-2014, 11:11 PM
I just did my first apof hand last week. Here's what I learned.

It took me 2-3x as long to work on this stuff.

You really want to work this stuff entirely from dark to light. Ink stains the lighter colors much easier than on real skin, but you can pound white over black.

I did over work some areas with a liner, never with a mag. If you look close you can see pits and cuts but it's not too noticeable to the common viewer.

Start by rubbing it down with a scotchbrite pad until it has loss its shine.

I used stencil stuff, the stencil smeared but was ok. I sealed it with hair spray and then let it dry over night.

The problem was that green soap didn't get the ink off so I tried alcohol, Windex, but bleach cleaner worked the best. It also took the stencil off in one swipe, so that sucked.

I was far from impressed at first but I think it turned out about as expected in the end.

Heath, yours is very nice and much smoother than my attempt. Nice job!