Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Rotary works v bishop

Ok so after getting back into tattooing, again, after another hiatus, again I decided to take the plunge into rotarys after about 6 months with the hybrid. I originally chose the hybrid because I also airbrush and liked the thought of being able to plumb a whole shop for myself, however I have never used it without the powerpack. Neuma headquarters is about 30 minutes from me when I'm in CA and personally they have been very easy to work with in that, I call, they answer, I ride over with some money or in need of some tech help, they take care of it and I leave.
    So now I have decided to switch up to all rotary or at least try it and I placed orders for two rotary works and one bishop. My experience so far has been a little uncomfortable in that I haven't "talked" to anyone yet and that is just my preference. I like to "go/look/pay cash" but that is just me. On the other hand I would love it if I only had to deal with customers through email so I get it. My rotary works arrived yesterday (thurs) after being shipped last monday (for those with shipping questions) and I am currently in Montana if that is any help. My first email from Bishop that said my order was being processed was on the 30th of last month and here we are on the 15th, so whatever. I had some email trouble with them in that I could not reply to the email address that they were replying to me from (if that makes any sense) so Maybe like Tuesday of last week I think I got it straightened out... maybe, I don't know, my email from this past weekend has yet to be confirmed. So, hopefully this all works out.
    As for the Rotary Works I hope to try them out today after some initial concerns yesterday. Beautiful out of the box but one definitely ran stronger than the other and had a right side pull to it. After some observation I noticed that one spun clockwise and the other, stronger one spun counterclockwise. So I reversed the RCA connection and now both spin clockwise and smooth but one is still much faster than the other. I'm not sure if clockwise is correct, I did my first tattoos with rotaries and the way I learned was clockwise, but there is nothing to say that the guys I learned from knew what they were talking about. So, we will see how it goes and I will update this and if anyone can help me troubleshoot to get these things running identically please let me know.

Site Technical Admin The Sheriff Administrator's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is a positive and negative side to the rotary works motor. If you are able to peel back the motor cover a little you will likely see the red dot (positive) so you can check how the polarity is wired in respect to your RCA. From what I can tell seeing the rotary works is it will run without disruption clockwise or counter clockwise. the only issue is some motors prefer to only run in one direction to extend the life of the motor. The rotary works runs on a piston driven by an eccentric cam with no dwell or timing spring installed so clockwise or counter clockwise should not effect the efficiency of the up down motion the machine produces. The main reason you where probably tought clockwise in the past was to make sure the motor is not going to be unhappy running the wrong way. I didnt build these machines so this is based on observations about Dale's machines and other motors and machines I have played with in the past.

From what I have seen there are two motors Dale uses, one is happy around 2 to 3.5 volts and the other is happy from 8 to 11 or so. Try running them very low and also up around 8 or so and see how they feel.

Post Thanks / Like
    I run the small eikon es-200 power supply so there is no readout, but they are about a volt and a half off of each other and one is louder. Also I dont think efficiency was effected but it did feel different. Where I learned we couldn't keep a motor long enough to worry about it burning out but cds and tapes spin clockwise so there you go. In my hand both feel good but there is a difference. I am assuming I will be using them for different things and so will most likely not notice. hopefully next week when my new power supply lands some of this will solve itself.

Site Technical Admin The Sheriff Administrator's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    If they are off by only a little its more then likely the same motor. Rotaries are not always quiet, some more then others. Dale's is pretty quiet but very loud if you have it running really high.

Which new power supply did you order?

Post Thanks / Like
    Critical cx-2, I will also be getting an eikon however for now I am on the road and the critical makes more sense from a convenience standpoint.

Administrator/The Site Owner The Sheriff Alie K's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have you had a chance to speak with Dale about this yet? If he isn't crazy busy, he's usually very good about answering questions. Is there a chance that you got two different machines by mistake (as in a regular stroke and one of his shorter stroke machines?)

Post Thanks / Like
    I dont have a micrometer just right now but from what I can tell visually it is not the stroke. I haven't had the opportunity yet to speak with Dale and I'm not really expecting (or chasing) it thought it would be nice. I emailed him on facebook the first day but it was just after he had mentioned how swamped he was with all of his emails. so there you go. Regretfully I'm not the type to sit around waiting to figure out how to fix a tool that I need or can ultimately fix on my own. This is mainly just my experience so far. Really it's only a difference of 1/2 to 1 volt so I am not super concerned. Worst case scenario the machine with the red RCA will be used for one thing and the Black one for another just to keep the lineup the same for the new power supply. I havent had the opportunity to do anything yet photo worthy but both have done all that I have asked and with the exception of the running difference, reversed RCA and the little nut on the back of the RCA connection spinning loose during a tattoo there have been no major running problems. (I would also like to state that in comparison to my experience with coils this is all SUPER minor and basically cosmetic). I am so pleased with them that I am still planning on swithching over to rotary full time with the exception of maybe 2 or 3 coils, and I would also like to state that had I not ordered two simultaneously and ran them together right out of the box, I may have never noticed this difference. Now if I could only get my hands on my Bishop. Oh why have you forsaken me, Franco!? This is worse than waiting for Jail Mail. Just kidding but I did do a lot of research prior to buying and wait and shipping time were a factor for me. I don't mind in the long run but I have read everything from "10 day wait" to "2 week wait" to "next day shipping". I get the situation and the industry and it isn't really a big deal ultimately, but personally I would be fine with a "Thanks for the money it'll be there when it gets there". At least then I wouldn't keep checking or have anything to bitch about. One more question about RW though. what is the best oil for it? The card says surgical lube, I'm familiar with a great many lubes but this is one I do not know where to buy any insight would be helpful. Also is there a "right way" for RW motors to spin? I just dont want to burn them out running clockwise if its wrong. Thank you Admins for shooting the shit with me on this.

Senior Moderator Deputy Sheriff The Limey's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Vaseline is what Dale recommended for lubrication when I spoke to him.

Something worth considering too is that Dale doesn't make the motors and because they are what is commonly called a stock motor in RC racing there is no way to advance or retard the timing so, the speed they run at is governed by the manufacturer and more importantly, that speed will vary from motor to motor.
    Last edited by The Limey; 04-17-2011 at 11:27 AM.
    Play nice now people or your naughty posts will go in the Shit Box!

Post Thanks / Like
    that is what I figured in regards to the motor. Most direct answer yet anyway. I understand buying the motors pre-made which makes all of the bashing on here about everyone "stealing" everyone elses designs and movement principals HILARIOUS. However a more sensable part of me thinks that a company with the technology to make RC motors all day has the ability to make them a little closer than this. Not bashing them, just making a statement. RC guys RACE. and believe it or not they have $. (I know because I just told an RC helicopter guy that it would cost $1000 to paint his $6000 toy but I also got to meet his manyfacturer) I get that every one will run a little different, but we are talking about it sounding different to my ear and feeling different to my hand, not a computer or PS readout. I would think they could get a little closer than that (banging on the motor manufacturer and not Dale in any way).

Knows Whats Up!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did you ever get your bishop if so how long did it take?

11. Like Davidbautista90 liked this post.