Senior Member Caleb's Addiction's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Cheyenne Thunder too hard?

Is it just me or does everyone think this thing hits like a Mack truck? It's okay for lining, but honestly I can line with my Spirit just as well. And on the Spirit, I can run at about 8.4 volts and do super soft multiple pass color blends with very little trauma. When I try the same with the thunder I get solid blood fields on the first pass, and the skin gets pissed fast.

The only thing I can see this thing being good for is large liners and stupid shit like tribal. Opinions? Suggestions?

(For reference, I use ttech carts, super long taper curved mags, about a nickel of hang)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the thunder definitely hits harder than the spirit.
    It can be used for everything from lining to soft shading to color packing, though. Just have to adjust your technique a bit.
    I usually have quite a bit of hang on the needles and start by "tipping" them in, gently, to see how they are putting the pigments in. And I adjust accordingly, depending on the application. I look at it like using an ODD.
    But, yeah, if I bury the needles, it can cause a lot of trauma, really fast.
    Hope that helps a bit.

Post Thanks / Like
    I love the extra needle hang you could get with the thunder and it's faster to work with and zero hangups. But after looking at my work recently, it was smoother before, so I've gone back to a spirit.
    The spirit definitely seems softer and IMO has a more consistent ink flow. I also feel my lines are smoother, but it does require a different technique.

Post Thanks / Like
    Try to reduce the needle hang to 1mm or max 2 and rest the tube on the skin. That will allow you more passes on that surface. If is not working, slow down the speed around 8.5 and find your sweet spot. Also giving a bit of time between passes might help, allowing skin to cool down a bit.

5. Like bluerocker liked this post.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Starting to get the hang of this thing. I have to line at around 11 volts with a bit less hang than I would typically use to get the ink to flow consistently. Shading and color blending seems to work well around 8.4, but I have to be very feathery on the skin, just brushing the tips.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've noticed a lot more bleeding and trauma with the Ttech needles. I use mostely all Hawk needles and there is a noticable difference in the quality of the needles. The 27 soft edge mag from Hawk is my fav. What power supply do you use?
    Sarenity Tattoo. 4350 24thAve. Ste.802, Mailbox 119. Fort Gratiot, MI 48059. (810)385-2222 www.SarenityTattoo.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I've got an Eikon EMS 200.

That's an interesting point you made about the ttechs. Just the other day I was watching Nikko Hurtado's portrait video (for the 1000th time LOL) and he was talking about running his neumas really low with a tiny bit of hang. He mentioned that his mags were bug pin needles and he specifically says that they don't tear the skin up as bad and that the smaller holes they make allows him to make multiple passes.