Post Thanks / Like

ac30 Steam Punk Rotary Review....

I was recently sent a Rotary Machine from Forum Member ac30, he asked me to put it through its paces, and write a Review for you guys..

Let me start of by introducing the Machine...It is a "Rear Sprung", Maxon 6v powered Linear Drive set-up..It has both Clippy and RCA hook up options and an adjustable cam, from a 4mm+ stroke to approx 2mm.....And is priced at £150 or approx $240..(additional 10% discount to members)

The body is well constructed, it is on the heavy side, but, this helps alleviate any vibration issues, nice solid vice, takes all size back stems, and overall is nicely balanced Machine...

Lining....It is a competent Liner, I kept to a 7rl and a 9rl, 3.8 v’s, and, due to the frame weight, the powerful Maxon Motor and the balance, I have no issues to report..Lining was effortless, just keep an eye on needle depth..

Packing/Saturation...I tried various throw/stroke options, which are easy to adjust with the effective, yet simple adjustable cam...I preferred approx 4mm, and adjusted my tube tip to suit..It does pack colour on very low volts, but, hand speed is your most important factor, too slow, and skin trauma will be evident, very quickly..

Shading/Blending....IMO, it hits way too hard to be used for Shading or Blending, it can be achieved, but, there are “easier” machines to use, the stress factor involved attempting to achieve a smooth blend outweighed any benefits..I tried turning the volts down, adjusting both the throw and hand speed, but, it just hits relentlessly too hard for this task..

Black and Grey work...I think this may be one of the machines strong points, however, volts, hand speed and throw need to be considered...

I also sent the Machine to Forum Member fatlad, who agreed with most of my findings, Cheers Paul..

In summation, it’s a lot of machine for the Money, especially when you factor in RCA, adjustable cam and a top end Maxon Motor...It hits very hard, almost brutal, but, this will suit some people, you can use volts throw and hand speed to counteract the force of hit...The only small issue, is because of the Clippy and RCA mounts, elastic band placement is limited, not really too much to worry about, but, it could bug some people...

There is some very stiff competition in this entry level, direct drive linear Machine category, RW Classic and the Oskar Droid to name a few......Is there a place for this Steam Punk Machine ?....In all Honesty, you can bet your Money there is...It is brutal, back to basics, no bells or whistle Machine, with some pretty cool options.....Buy one, use it for Lining, Highlights, Packing and B&G, and you Will Not be Disappointed....However, just like using a Direct Drive Orbital, experience and knowledge will be a great advantage...P.

Disclaimer....I have intentionally left out voltage reading, as, these are better “dialled in” by the user, however, keep it low and increase as you go...This works on very low volts.....P.punk.jpg

Machine Builder I build Tattoo Machines ac30's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Paul, thank you for a very honest review. Peeps, as the very machine that was reviewed is technically 2nd hand it is up for £120 plus p an p. If anyone is interested please PM me.

Post Thanks / Like
    that's a nice lookin machine. Simple but clean.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep sometimes less is more...