Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    still looks slightly digitized,,,,sorry man,,,,i see you have toy story as your avatar,,,,check "the snowman" cartoon by raymond briggs....nothing will ever touch that for a masterpiece,,,,,im standing my ground and as i said its only my opinion.....not trying to start a revolution here,,,,,,the spratt image looks great,,,,can you feel it with your hand? or does it exist on a flat screen.....my opinion only.

Post Thanks / Like
    myskull.jpg

heres one i drew this week with a pencil,,,,im no aaron cain but i know how to draw. just so you know im not talking out my ass about how i feel about art. i study and work hard as much as i can lads.....digital works for you then fine,,,,dont work for me but i love looking at certain digital imagery,,,,,

Post Thanks / Like
    man FUCK a computer, these things have fucking destroyed our brain, yes digital is cool, but what the fuck happened to the old fashion draw by hand ur fucking self, we are all gonna end up like those fat people in the movie wall e i think is the name. just draw with ur hands, learn from the comp stuff but do it by hand

Post Thanks / Like
    While I've seen some really impressive stuff with digital I feel MY work comes out souless through digital unless there was at least one step that required me to draw it by hand. I'm working on it though. But I still favor fine art mediums because it's how I started.

I think the people on this forum that are against digital medium are so because it... how should I say, it doesn't translate well as far as the physically DOING of it. While there are many ways to do a tattoo, there are no alternatives to performing a tattoo other than to TATTOO. While an impressive, Photoshop can spoil you with layers and filters. Whilst doing a canvas painting if you're trying to get texture or a blur you actually have to have an understanding of painting those things. One of the most important things is this: you can ruin your canvas. Spill shit, put something where it don't, etc. Instead of pressing CTRL+Z or deleting a layer you just have to deal with the consequences of screwing up. Ya it happens in photoshop but not nearly as often often/severe as a real life painting. It might not seem like a thing, but it is if we're all honest here when things get easy, we get lazy. It demands more of you as far as knowledge and attention is concerned, which in turn builds strong skillsets for tattooing.

Don't get me wrong, I love the tool. But I love my fine art mediums a LOT and while I have intentions to use almost all photoshop for a future comic I'm planning, and even comic nerds will agree, nothing beats the one and only original. Even signed comic prints are whatever in comparison to the oldies pencil boards.

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a notion of "Classic" it or who never will be canceled. I think not what digital art will not replace paper and pencil ...
    Or anything personal, just my thoughts ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Guys this is my point. It is still drawn by hand. Period. It's a pen on a screen with an artist behind it. I think many have a misinformed notion of what a digital printing is as opposed to photo editing. It's the same shit as me saying if you used a light table to get your layout or your outline dine you fucking cheated. Fuck that. A light table is a tool. If you had a bad ass drawing covered the back in charcoal and did a transfer to your canvas that isn't cheating. Even though you meticulously laid out every detail with a pencil. Yet there are some dudes thst swish 3 brush strokes on a canvas and have a perfectly laid out portrait they start working away at. Again, sure you can use filters and whatever but if that's what you are doing you are just cheating yourself. Art is a visual representation of a feeling, emotion, or an idea.
    And by the way when my buddy prints his shit out for prints on canvas then yeah, it's real. When I spend 40 hours behind my tablet painstakingly PAINTING a picture then it's real. I did it and so did anyone else who works at it. The third guy at our shop used to feel the same way as some of you. Now that he's been exposed to it and seen us work so hard at it that he now wants one.

Still trying to figure out the disconnect to where people somehow don't think I'm actually drawing a line when I move a pen over my screen just like a sheet of paper. If I can't draw then I can't draw regardless of my media. Not a magic bullet. It is drawing.

7. Like FTW, Wonderland liked this post.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why is even an argument.
    being an artist is about feeling completely inadequate...and then getting the fuck over it. self revelation

Knows Whats Up! thesmokingmirror's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    wacom drawn artwork is cool and in my opinion real art but its waaaaay faster than painting because of all the tools brushes and opacities available instantly so there is quite an unfair advantage there for a draw/paint based competition. -My opinion, I also dabble in digital art

Knows Whats Up!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nobody is saying there isn't some great digital artwork ,indeed some of us that love video games, the beauty involved in the games is heavily digital. The "classical" artform ,which is totally done by hand seems to have more soul, isn't that similar to our tattoo machines, in that a machine that is totally handmade be honest ,you cherish it that bit more than a production machine ,of course that doesn't mean there aren't any good production machines, Pulse ,etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know the only "filter" I use is after I'm done drawing and I increase the contrast of the line drawing to help make for a better, longer lasting stencil other than that I just do as mentioned above with out the worries of spilling my coffee on my canvas...still can't drench my tablet but I know it's not the same and I'm guilty of going back if I draw a line or put shading where it's not appropriate but that's technology for ya... I'm learning to use it to my advantage.
    As time and funds allow I can't wait to get some oil paint and canvas to create art for my home, my grandmother & mother were both talented artists on canvas and I'd love to follow in their foot steps one day.
    just my 2 cents for what it's worth

12. Like peter clements liked this post.