Post Thanks / Like

Spektra Halo - Difference between differenet motors within the same machine?

Just curious if anyone using multiple Spektra Halos have noticed a difference between motors (same cam on both)?

I am asking as I think one of my motors may be losing power overall.

Using two different motors on the same machine I found that one started at 3.6 V while the other was starting in the range of 4.5 V.

I noticed this when I switched to regular tubes and needles (multiple setup) vs going with t-techs, and it felt like one machine was stronger than the other. So tested the motors on one machine afterwards.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this, or if is a warning sign that the one motor is about to take a dive on me, or this is simply a variance between different motors.

Thanks in advance for you feedback and experiences.

Post Thanks / Like
    both my motors do that, i dunno what its about either. I'm digging through this section trying to figure out why one of mine works fine for like 1.5 hours then just dies. Like i have to crank it up 2 more volts to get it going. its fucking wierd. Worked for 3 hours, i changed to 7volt from 9 and it did it as soon as i changed volts then when i went back up it was just barely going. Im not sure what to think but i have a bit more testing to do... blah.

Machine Builder I build Tattoo Machines fkirons's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    It could be a glitch with the motor or RCA connection and we'll be glad troubleshoot it for
    You.

But I would like to mention that we found out that the last customers that experienced this issue was due to that he was excessively lubing the machine causing the lube (non conductive material) to drip down inside the motor, clogging the motor and causing a the brushes to act erratic.
    We opened his motor and it was full of oil.

If that's the case, leave the motor bolt without cam upside down for 24hrs and put some paper towels so they make contact with the surface where the oil will escape. This May or may not work as oil inside the motor really kills it.

One drip of oil is what you need every 50 hours or so. Anything more than that is exceed that will end up inside the motor.

Get I touch with us for further assistance. We'll be glad help.

Now regarding motors varying startup voltage, I'd say it's normal as this happens with freshly brand new motors too.

Gaston
    FK Irons - Spektra Rotary
    www.fkirons.com
    For Customer service please contact Kayleigh
    Email under "Contact Us" at fkirons.com

Machine Builder I build Tattoo Machines Cyberitual's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I dont know anything about the spektra, But i have noticed that sometimes i will run across a motor thats brand new but is not functioning the same as the rest. Usually i would set aside the motor and move on. One thing i noticed about a test motor i had that i would use on many different prototypes is that everytime i would remove the wires and resolder them, it seemed the motor had a slightly different sound or tune to it. Eventually that motor just went to crap. I asked myself is this the normal life of a motor, it cant be. So i started taking those motors that seemed bad and started to try to see how or what am i doing in the process of assembly am i possible damaging these motors. Well after doing some reading and testing i found out that high heat will make a magnet lose its strength. So i first took a rare earth magnet that had 4 lbs of magnetic strength, held a soldering iron to it for not even 5 seconds and it lost 1/4 of its strength. After one min it had lost 3/4 of its strength. I was sure this is what is killing the magnet in the motor, so i took one of my set aside motors and wired it up and let it run, i then took the soldering iron and held it to the frame of the motor, It took the motor about 2 min for it to go from not working at its best to barely spinning at all. So i learned that when i solder my leads, do it quick. I have a few new Centri's with solder out there but we are only going to use conductive glue from here on out. Little things like this cost me alot of money, im glad i figured it out. HIGH HEAT = BAD BAD BAD lol.