Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

New Swiss Machine

It's pretty close to market now, so...

2013-12-22 11.21.401.jpg

I'll post some more pics tomorrow and some info...

2. Like Jan Li liked this post.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh man, can't wait.

Site Technical Admin The Sheriff Administrator's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool! With luck their Canadian distributor in Quebec will have some to show off this summer.

Post Thanks / Like
    20131221_171301.jpg20131221_171314.jpg20131221_171307.jpg

Ok, Here's a few more pics. THIS IS A PROTOTYPE. The one released to the public will be a little different and have a needle tensioner.

So, what is it? Well, it's a battery powered machine. Someone posted a battery machine awhile ago, but it was quite primitive compared to this machine (which was in the works about a year and a half before the machine i saw posted was released).

This IS NOT just a swiss rotary with batteries attached to it (though the first "proof of concept" prototype i tried was) This machine has a different motor (super tiny maxon) a newly designed armature connection inside, and a relatively complex little circuit board inside that lets the little tiny motor think it's bigger.
    They are changing the batteries that it will come with, so i don't know the run time of the final version, but right now i get 3-4 hours on a charge. The batteries are a battery pack with an external charger, so you can have one charging while you work.
    It's lighter than it looks, well balanced (it looks like it should be terrible to work with, but it's nice!) and very well made. It's taken a long time to bring to market as there were unforseen issues in producing the aluminum body.
    The on/off and voltage up/down adjustments are on top. I think the voltage range is 3.5 or 4 to 6 volts. I always use it around 5.5-6. When the battery starts to get low, the led on top blinks red and green.
    It is a competent all rounder. Great with small mags and handles 15s easily. Though i never ran anything bigger. In my opinion lining is where this machine really shines. It lines like a freakin laser. A few days ago the guy producing them was in our shop and we were talking about it... he said they have measured the side to side play in the armature bar (or tried to) and there isn't any. None. He was really excited about that, saying you can measure the play in a normal swiss, and it's minimal, but it's there, but not with the new machine.
    I am not 100% sure what changes will be made to the final product, aside from needle tensioner, and "new battery" or exactly what the price point will be. But I will say that I intend to BUY one (I didn't have to pay for the ones i have used and the one i own now) because I like them that much.

I am not selling these things, or promoting them, or saying everyone needs a battery machine (i am sure this will be plenty debated and the idea will get bashed no doubt), but I am saying it's a very cool, very well built machine, an idea that may have been tried before but has now been done right, and a machine that has it's place firmly planted in my lineup.

I know that was short, but if anyone has questions, ask away and i will do my best.
    cheers.

6. Thanks PAWNJOB thanked for this post.
    Like Bruce Gulick, MedusaTattoo, joelhague liked this post.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for sharing. As soon as you find out the prices for the machines and extra batteries etc, please share.

Knows Whats Up!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very interesting, well done to the guys at "Swiss" for trying to find something new.

Post Thanks / Like
    The weight would be interesting !
    And what i dont like with batterys is you loose shortly power !

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Zapp View Post
    The weight would be interesting !
    And what i dont like with batterys is you loose shortly power !
    The weight is not bad at all, though i thought it would be. I will try to weigh it if i can, but it's lighter than a coil!

I think 3-4 hours on a charge is pretty good actually, double would be better (but it only takes 15 seconds to change the battery pack). I have never used a full charge in one sitting (but i really only line with it). Battery life could be better with the new batteries but i'm not sure

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh god I would LOVE a wireless machine. I hate tripping over/rolling over/tangling up my damn cords. I dreamt I invented one a while back ! Will be watching development with interest!

Post Thanks / Like
    Does it just run all the time then? I mean how do you stop/start it? I love the idea of wireless too, and 15 second charge cycle? wow impressive!