Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Machine Builder I build Tattoo Machines
    Post Thanks / Like

can a machine burn out a power supply?

one of my coworkers just got a rotary machine from a reputable builder (i won't mention their name yet, we wrote to them about this) and was tattooing a customer. He runs a hurricane power supply and outlined the tattoo with his coil machine. he then switched to this new rotary to color. the machine ran a bit then it started to slow down, then stopped altogether. The meters on the hurricane all read zero. he switched back to his coil machine and it wouldn't work either. he then switched to his backup power supply (another cheapy with just a voltmeter), hooked up his coil machine...no problem...

he then hooked up his rotary machine and it did the exact same thing it did to last supply, slowed down then stopped (the voltmeter again went to zero) and when he hooked his coil back up, it didn't work...

The really strange thing is, I have the same machine and I let him use it awhile back to see if he would like it and mine ran with no problems on his hurricane (thats why he bought the same machine). I also have another co worker who uses the hurricane and has the same machine. his runs perfectly on the hurricane...Also, the guy who is having problems used the machine just the day before without any problems..

Is this a capasitor problem with his machine or is it something else?

Senior Moderator Deputy Sheriff The Limey's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Remove the capacitor and see if it runs ok then.
    Last edited by The Limey; 04-30-2011 at 12:14 AM.
    Play nice now people or your naughty posts will go in the Shit Box!

Administrator/The Site Owner The Sheriff Alie K's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    There's also the fact that the Hurricane is a Chinese knockoff of a power supply. We all know how knockoffs go - even with those disposable machines. Get 5 of them, one is bound to be a dud. Maybe it's a bum power supply?

Post Thanks / Like
    thats what I thought at first but it did the exact same thing on 2 different power supplys...also, he used the machine yesterday with no problems and we have another guy running the same machine and the same power supply without any problems...he wanted to try it out on my power supply but I wouldn't let him,lol..incase it is the machine I don't want to blow out my custom supply..

Administrator/The Site Owner The Sheriff Alie K's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, my bad. I read that wrong.

Yeah, seriously! You work so hard on them, having a machine burn it out would suck. Now, one of the members on here told me that when my coil machine slowed down and didn't want to work properly (though it never brought the numbers down to zero) that it may have been because of shitty coils magnetizing the frame. Could that be a possibility with the machines you've got? Could something be magnetizing both of them? Have any paper clips laying around? Did he change ANYTHING from the other day? Even using a different clipcord or something?

Post Thanks / Like
    I've seen the slowing down thing from one of the builders on here... also with a hurricane. But it didn't break it and works fine on my critical.

Post Thanks / Like
    this happens when the consumption of the motor is to high for the power supply
    (speaking about the rotary machines).usually the power s. heats up and burns out

Post Thanks / Like
    what would cause the consumption of the machine to exceed the capabilities of the supply? the machine normally runs well under 10 volts and the supply is rated for 18 volts/2 amps

I was digging through my stuff and i found a talon power supply I bought a few years ago. I'm going to try that on the machine today. since talon is an american company and they make expensive tattoo power supply's we'll see if this machine burns that out...

Post Thanks / Like
    @ALie..I really wasn't paying attention to what he was doing so I'm going to take the machine myself today and in between appt.s run it through its paces and see whats up...

Post Thanks / Like
    the voltage is not a big factor,but the amps that the motor requires to work,or maybe something was blocking the motor and that leads to a higher voltage and amps needed for normal runing

11. Thanks fatcashdaddy thanked for this post.