Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Needle / tube noise with DD machines

I'm sure this has been discussed before but I wasn't able to find much specifically on the topic, but I have been doing a lot of color with my dd machines and have been trying different bends and rubber bands and what not but I still have a ton of noise from the needle in my disposables . I have a dan kubin dd and an old timer and a Darkside dd and mainly I have the issue with my kubin. I use both kingpin an mithra tubes and either one does it .. Not sure if it's better to bend the needle a bit or not , a lot of tension or little tension etc. I guess the noise is from the top of the needles at the solder point hitting the sides of the inside of the tube .. ? Love the machine but I can't stand the noise lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    DSCF3170.jpg556769_2958853188186_1713398892_n.jpg

most i use very breadth rubbers on my DD and a piece leather or papertowel and have never this issue

Post Thanks / Like
    Might want to get an adjustable stroke cam for the machine. I had a lot of chatter at the top of the tube from the needle hitting the side and I adjusted the stroke ( as I have a few with adjustable cams ) and shortened the stroke some and the noise went away.

Also without seeing the machine if the cam is too far forward it will hit the front of the tube and make noise. You can possibly move the cam back or move the motor farther back in the housing.

Post Thanks / Like
    None of my machines are adjustable stroke and the needle bar gets real close to the inside of the tube but doesn't hit. I hate putting a ton of rubber band tension on a machine because I feel like that's extra wear on the motor.. But next time I run one I'll get a beefy band on it and try that out

Post Thanks / Like
    I find if you go more than 3.5mm you will start to get needle noise. Ink splatter. And vibration and noise more so if you run your machine fast. Wich i dont with dd machines. This is not the case with all dd tho. The larger the cam wheel iv noticed can cause problems.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Machine Builder I build Tattoo Machines slicksteel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I feel that 4-5 storke work best with carts. 3mm is the best allrounder for standard needle setups -with the ability to go from soft to hard with low sound.

SSI -SUPER SLICK IRONS-top shelf custom coil machines
    American Made Machines

[email protected]
    https://www.facebook.com/evanstattooing

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe my old time is around a 3.5 because it has a different cam than what normally comes on them, the kubin it think is under 4mm or real close. And the Darkside I have is probably a little over 4mm (guessing based on comparison )
    i actually got the chance to experiment a bit with the kubin and Darkside with a couple touch ups tonight and the Darkside lines way smooth with tight 5s which I was surprised cause my mc2 has spoiled me. And once I fooled around with voltage and rubber bands I found a happy place with the kubin and a 9 bugpin around 4.5 volts or so. And then I lined with a 3 with the kubin on the next touch up and it was quiet as a mouse. I guess I have been over thinking it all since I always bent my needle bars I didn't tonight and had luck so I'll just keep doing that. I've looked into needle runners but I don't see that being good for the machine to be pushing the needle bar side to side against the runner..

Post Thanks / Like
    Needle runners are pretty bs IMO. My Kubin original dd spits so frequently that I've nearly traded it off. But I got an Old Timer triple brass at 3.5mm and it's only spit once on me after heavy use. I think it has to do with the needle not staying flush in the tip and possible bar contact with the tube. Some of my tubes are better than others for this machine. But I love it.

Machine Builder I build Tattoo Machines fkirons's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bretttattoos View Post
    I'm sure this has been discussed before but I wasn't able to find much specifically on the topic, but I have been doing a lot of color with my dd machines and have been trying different bends and rubber bands and what not but I still have a ton of noise from the needle in my disposables . I have a dan kubin dd and an old timer and a Darkside dd and mainly I have the issue with my kubin. I use both kingpin an mithra tubes and either one does it .. Not sure if it's better to bend the needle a bit or not , a lot of tension or little tension etc. I guess the noise is from the top of the needles at the solder point hitting the sides of the inside of the tube .. ? Love the machine but I can't stand the noise lol.
    Try this. Instead of rubber bands use an origin of about 16mm inner diameter. (More or less depending on the design of your frame.) and pass the o-ring through the vise.
    Arch your needle stack as well and just a slight bent on the bar. Like someone say before anything above 3.5 mm will give you more side motion.

You'll be surprise how different and oring make Direkt drives work.
    Don't use needle runners because they will make your machine noisier as the runner will hit the walls of the tube and apply a lot of axial load the the armature ping weakening your bearing and taking a beating in your motor.

But for even better tips and suggestions contact the builder if you can.
    Good luck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    For Customer service please contact Kayleigh
    Email under "Contact Us" at fkirons.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I've tried orings on my old timer and wasn't a fan of setting up with them . But I'll give them another go tomorrow . Thanks for the input guys