Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Made some modifications to Thing 2's overall design. I'm happy with the direction its going, still tweaking it here and there. Weighs 4.6oz.
    1964862_604996809578324_879564294_n.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks much nicer. How does that drive bar work for you. I have been working on one like that to make a DD less wobble and more linear and have found that it pulls to one side now. Not terribly so but it does.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ha! I was just messing around with that actually. I fiddled with the rubber band configuration and found a pretty good balance. If it gets off a little I just nudge the bar a smidge and it auto corrects.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    I saw the video on Instagram looks like it runs pretty smooth.

Site Technical Admin The Sheriff Administrator's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by horikaiju View Post
    Did this little monster this past weekend. Used it yesterday for 9 hours lining and shading and it worked perfectly. Weighs 4.3oz
    Attachment 24521
    Neat little build! Was it the old Ronny Star machines that used they drive style? You could probably save your self a little work cutting small shapes out of brass and use chain links. Also Color choice is bad ass!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
    Neat little build! Was it the old Ronny Star machines that used they drive style? You could probably save your self a little work cutting small shapes out of brass and use chain links. Also Color choice is bad ass!
    Thanks! It took me a minute to recall where I heard the name, but yeah it looks like the Ronnie Starr machines have a similar system. To be honest I was inspired by several builders, but Ronnie Starr wasn't on the list. I do plan to change the small drive bar for a chain link, but the main drive bar has to be large enough to clear the main body. I do plan to change the material though. I dropped it yesterday and of course it landed right on the pivot point and bent both arms, still works perfectly but the slight bend just erks me...so brass is out(at least the thin stuff).

Post Thanks / Like
    So, I slimmed down Thing 2's overall design and went back to the original direct drive. 4mm stroke at 4oz. Still plan on using the small drive bar but on a different model.
    e754220eca4d11e3a0340002c95498b6_8.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    So I've been in the garage tinkering and put together the little beasts. Each are 3.8oz and have a 4mm stroke. Both are extremely quiet. You'll notice one has what looks to be wood in the construction...that's not entirely false. I used reclaimed bamboo that I shaped, stained, and sealed. The bamboo has a natural flex to it that provides just enough give. I had a blast making them.

Post Thanks / Like
    I cleaned up the design a bit. Overall I'm happy with it. I've even got a quick video of it in use on my instagram.
    PhotoGrid_1406057615872.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images