Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Kubin mc14 and wrist tattoo

Fairly new to rotaries, and the no give vibe leaves me a bit weary. Last night I was working on a wrist tattoo (fat infinity symbol, who would have thought) relatively simple banger. Boyfriend got a matching one on the ribs, a bit bigger. I did his first and loaded the mc14 with a 9 mag for solid black fill at 4mm stroke. Like butter. Went in fast. A 3x2 solid black infinity with some script went on about ten Minutes. Set up for the wrist, got the script lined, went in to do the shading loaded with a 7 mag this time, and I just could not get it to be solid. After about two passes she was pretty swollen so I opted her to come back to touch it up. Wrists have always given me a bit of a headache for some reason, but this machine just seemed to chew the skin up pretty fast. Oh, if I remember correctly it was running around 6-6.5 volts. Let me know your thoughts on this. Sounds like an amateur issue but it's been boggling my brain all night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Sometimes you just need a coil. Now you know that that the wrist area is one of those places. This is why you never stop learning. A new experience happens & you learn a little more.
    The sooner you don't care what other people think about you, the better off you will be. aerochild.com

Knows Whats Up!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Most of us run Crankers at 7.5 volts, so I'm suspecting you've been over cautious when it comes to moving up a gear. If you want a machine that really slams in color, treat yourself to one of Dan's direct drives.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've had minimal problem packing black around 6.5, just slowed my hand down a bit. I'll have to try upping the voltage. I'm actually considering building a direct drive. Really interested in how rotaries work, and I think building one would help me grasp that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Knows Whats Up!
    Post Thanks / Like
    I use my cranker at 4.5-5 tops.

Post Thanks / Like
    sounds like your needle was hooked
    LOOP your needles EVERYTIME!! on average you will find a bad needle or two just about everyday.

7. Like evlink2006, asa_castle, nivek liked this post.
    Post Thanks / Like
    for this type of tattoo you describe:

1. I don't use mags, a 7 or 9 round works much better for me for small black tattoos, but I don't use tribal black with rounds; it seems to pack between the needles after awhile. I use an ink such as talens with rounds.

2. a sterile towel placed under the forearm/wrist area. lets the hand drop and creates a nice stretch.

3. I have both mc13 and mc14, mc13 at 6 volts works better for me. 6 volts max.

4. mithra needles - no more than 1 bad per box. I've used them for 7 years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Like S_Trafatter said already...if she comes back scarred up, your needle was hooked and all it takes is 1. Also, I've noticed occasional needles soldered upside down to their "normal" position like all the others and in a hurry I mounted that particular grouping upside down and I don't catch it till I start color packing and wonder what is wrong. Loop your needles, you don't have to uncase them either, the packaging is clear for a reason. Older coworkers of mine would loop every new box they got, and spend HOURS doing it....but would toss out a handful every time. I just do them per tattoo.

Go low and slow. Treat tribal like yellow or white. Rotaries are the opposite of coils when it comes to saturation. The slower a rotary is, the better saturation you'll achieve. I've used a ton of needles and whatever brand you go with, stay away from bugpins. They are terrible on saturation. I threw all of mine out, that's how much I hate them. They can barely (hit or miss) do great gray shading. Also, from experience, Mithra's tight liners are made with these tiny bugpin needles that I struggle with. Kingpin's tight liners are made with a much larger bugpin, kind of in between a standard bugpin and a standard needle, and trust me, they make a world of difference when it comes to one pass saturated perfect lines.

Hope this helps you out.

Post Thanks / Like
    I also use my cranker right around 6 -6.4v w/about a 3.8 stoke length. Crankers don't have a lot of presence off of the tip so you definitely need to apply enough pressure to take up the "slop" and get enough torque behind the stroke. This is easier to do on more delicate spots when you turn the machine down a bit, especially at a 4mm throw.

Hopefully it was just a bad needle, but still a good idea to push the the bottom end of the usable voltage range and then work back up to a comfortable voltage. I feel like finding the right volts for a particular tattoo (needle configuration/skin type) is sometimes key. I like my rotaries to be at a voltage where my motor begins to bog down slightly under the right amount of pressure. Almost like the machine is talking back to you.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes like Nivek says: never go above 5.5 myself...
    Work hard, play hard...