Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Noisy Dragonfly Rotary

Hey I have a green dragonfly which I've been using for about 5/6 months now, but I was wondering if your guys dragonflies are noisy when you give it more give or if that was just something funny on my model. I constantly oil it about every 2 weeks, don't know if that has anything to do with it too. It's not nearly as loud as my coil machines but I guess I'm too used to how silent the hawk and bishop are that I thought the dragonfly should be silent too.

Post Thanks / Like
    im running into the same problem....when i first got it i could crank it up and i feel the more i use it the louder its gotten. ive troubleshot everything to figure out where the excess noise is coming from and i couldnt get it. i also oil my machine about once every 3 weeks. i almost wonder if the oil is beaking down the grease that the machine came with. if anyone has any info please holla! my dragonfly used to be 100% silent and now its starting to get quite a bit louder ive also found that my negative ground will come loose and needs to be tightened from time to time.

Knows Whats Up!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by N.I.L.8 View Post
    im running into the same problem....when i first got it i could crank it up and i feel the more i use it the louder its gotten. ive troubleshot everything to figure out where the excess noise is coming from and i couldnt get it. i also oil my machine about once every 3 weeks. i almost wonder if the oil is beaking down the grease that the machine came with. if anyone has any info please holla! my dragonfly used to be 100% silent and now its starting to get quite a bit louder ive also found that my negative ground will come loose and needs to be tightened from time to time.
    Have you Emailed the makers about these issues? Doesn't sound right at all to me-send it back.

Machine Builder I build Tattoo Machines tattooedpirate2's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    If I'm not mistaken the piston/slide mechanism is made out of teflon plastic and certain petroleum based oils penitrate the teflon and eat it up. You might want to look for wear in the piston bore and if the piston has excessive wear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey I messaged Christian today and he replied very quickly saying

"That is normal. It is pree lubed with grease from the factory and when that breaks down it sounds a bit more. The reason we supply oil instead of grease is that its hard to get it in to the vital areas. The softer adjustment and the heavier the needles the more sound."

Post Thanks / Like
    He also said

"The machine is not worn it will last much longer. Another thing is that the inner piston spring gets a little bit weaker after some time, you can stretch it just a little it will reduce noise but hit harder. Make sure to oil it in the oval hole above the needle bar pin and work it in for a while. Also take off the cap and push down the square piston and oil around it."

Machine Builder I build Tattoo Machines slicksteel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    man thats alot of bs to have to deal with on a weekly basis! I was thinking of getting one but seems like a lot of hassels with this machine!

SSI -SUPER SLICK IRONS-top shelf custom coil machines
    American Made Machines

[email protected]
    https://www.facebook.com/evanstattooing

Post Thanks / Like
    The only problem I've had with it was the noise issue, oiling it is like with most other rotaries, I personally like being able to adjust the give to work with different peoples skin and depending on what type of work I'm doing. I still love my dragonfly but I wasn't sure if the noise issue was normal or not, aside from that it's still an awesome machine!

Post Thanks / Like
    Manual says to oil it every 100 hours of use. So depending on your work load probably every two weeks or so give or take. Though I imagine more frequently wouldn't be bad , it would just flush out the heavier grease a little quicker. Making for more noise , I'm still new to mine but did notice that when set softer it does get a little louder then when set for firm.

Post Thanks / Like
    if your spring is tired,when the machine setup is smooth the needlebar pin will travel a little bit more up and will hit the uper wall of the cylinder producing that noise,or the noise damper(it s an little oring inside) becomed harder (oil is not too friendly with rubber)