Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Machine Builder I build Tattoo Machines fkirons's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Clipcord vs RCA vs RCA adapters vs MonoJack

Did not find a specific thread that talks about this topics so here you go.

My Take: clip cords worked for me until I realized that RCA is a much more stable connection (as there are no parts swinging against the contacts), smaller and easier to bag. That alone, makes me never look back at clip cords.
    Also RCA allows a cleaner design of a Rotary Machine.

However I know that there are some "die hard clip cord fans "that may prefer them for many reasons. One of them, is the fact that clip cords can swing and articulate while moving your hands in different angled positions.

Angled RCA solve that problem but they can be bulky as well.
    I have to say that I haven't seen and RCA that is perfect.

I've been experimenting with mono jacks lately and really like the lack of weight and how streamlined most monojack cables are.
    Whats your take on this subject.
    For Customer service please contact Kayleigh
    Email under "Contact Us" at fkirons.com

2. Like John liked this post.
    Knows Whats Up!
    Post Thanks / Like
    If there was a locking right angle, you'd be on to something ! The concern is the lockin mech, it can really make more work when switching machines.

I got one of the locking AL Bro ones and really liked it, as great as it was, became a pain when switching machines, and I also found most machines didn't need to lock. Now I wear long cuff gloves and got into the habit of wrapping the cord around my wrist to reduce the pulling out of the cable.

Mono jacks work well, but no one wants to switch again, that an bagging becomes a pain. A RCA with a sort of push button lock or release would be ideal but the costs on something like that would probally be more restrictive. I have an idea but honestly can't see it coming to fruition.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was die hard RCA til I got an ego v2 and used a mono with right angle end. It swivels fine and is light weight and clean connection. I wish all my machines had an upward facing mono connection to use that cable lol. Also you don't have to worry about it getting loose and falling off your machine while working since the plug is up and down and not straight off the back

Post Thanks / Like
    Mini jacks/mono make so much more sense to me, like the ego V2. Especially the right angle ones. They "swing" like a clipcord, well can rotate in the socket, and due to how small and lightweight they are, that aspect doesn't bother me either way. Personally I love the idea of cordless, so naturally the smaller, and less evasive the cable, the better. The only thing that annoys me about mini jacks are that only the ego seems to use it, and I hate having to bag and use more than 1 cable. Just my take.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like rca , but like I said on another thread they do seem to break or separate quite a bit inside the cable. I think that this is way less likely if the ends are secured with shrink wrap and we can do this ourselves but I think that with what rca cables cost, they should come that way. I dont ever really have a problem with the rca coming apart from the machine just the wire breaking at the connection points. I know there are high quality rca out there, the prices for them can be ridiculous sometimes. I like a 3.5 mono jack, I think they work probably the best but like nivek said it would be a pain because of having to switch shit out.
    Last edited by cagelavey; 06-30-2014 at 04:31 PM.

Machine Builder I build Tattoo Machines No Iron Machines's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    never have problem with CLIPCORD, i try for a while RCA, is very good connection, but i get problem, with machine vibrations push me out the plug, only on coils, for rptary is awesome, sure, specially the ANGLE RCA PLUG, reduce the size

another point that i prefere normal CLICORD to RCA , is the EASY HANDLE, with normal CLIPCORD, u can put down on the table the machine and with the same hand u can take out cord and go to another machine, with RCA for remove the plug u need use booth hand, u cannot done with 1 only, sound stupid things, but i work very fast and this small detaill for me don work

anyway, RCA is very good, for sure, and MONO JACK even better, maybe in future more machine gonna use this sistem

8. Like cagelavey, John liked this post.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have converted all my machines to 3.5 mini jacks. I like the positive connection and the free swing of the cord. plus a cord is never farther away than radio shack. lol

Knows Whats Up!
    Post Thanks / Like
    I prefer high tension clipcord personally, http://www.eikondevice.com/product/f...nsion-clipcord that kinda thing. I never have a problem with consistency, easy to bag don't need to fanny about with tape. I make my own with decent cable and they last for ages.

RCA I find get loose and slip off, try and tighten the fit and the little fins snap gah. I'll stick with clippy. I may however make a converter so I can try this direkt.
    @bengriffiths_tattooer on instagram.

Knows Whats Up!
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used to use mono -jacks they're an easy conversion and used to be standard on Danny Harkin machines. I found that they pull out too easy, and went back to clippy but high tension ones, and now also like RCA .

Post Thanks / Like
    there are cables like the one Cheyenne gives you to convert the mono cable to rca so that conversion is easy. just instead of removing the rca from the machine you can remove it from where the rca meets the mono convert.cable. I would definitely prefer the mono cable over anything else. works great with the ego, worked great with the og neotat and works great with the Cheyenne machines.