Post Thanks / Like

I've started building some machines

2 years ago i decided i want to build a tattoo machine all by myself. Having zero experience in metal working and shaping, i failed very quickly into the journey. It took me two years of learning on my own and figuring out the tools i needed and i started making some progress.
    There is nothing new in the design of the machines i did but i have the satisfaction of building all the parts by myself.
    One thing that might be new so far in my machines is the vice. I never saw this design before. This vice truly works with any kind of grip, steel or plastic.
    I've been using the 3rd machine to the right for more than 4 months daily on shading and coloring. Most of the time i use it with hawk cartridge needles and it works flawlessly.
    I just want to let people see what i do whenever i have some free time. I only sell to close friends for now.

10534903_1436493029969022_54898084_n.jpg10483401_255219438001691_1572071911_n.jpg5232f8d4ac7111e39e6c122aa7b9c56f_8.jpg

2. Like jvaughn1121 liked this post.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great. Nice to hear about your journey this far. Best of luck, and never stop.

Daddio Dude I build Tattoo Machines rjdadio's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Keep it up! Always! We have all started from humble beginnings, but the determination to make it yourself will reward you.

Post Thanks / Like
    I love the vice, very unique. look like solid machines.

Machine Builder I build Tattoo Machines peezie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's some good stuff bro. If you don't mind, I just want to offer a small tip. On the first picture with the bigger flywheel where you have it milled flat for the grub screw, that is gonna add more vibration which is unnecessary. Its best to leave it how it was or mill it off from the same side where the nipple is to balance out the flywheel more to reduce vibration. It doesn't matter too much as the vibration is probably not too much anyways but just thought I'd offer that tip. I was in your shoes more than 10 years ago. Angle grinder changed my life. That vise design is clever and the machine looks well made. Definitely better work than I was doing 2 years in. Good job and keep at it bro.

7. Like Jack Steel liked this post.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like the big counter weight on the second machine. I like heavier cams for lining, just feels like it gives it something extra

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the kind words.
    I did the flywheel that way only because i needed to drill the hole for the screw that will retain the bearing in it's place and the only drill bit that i had was a center drill, obviously the center drill was too short and the only way to make the hole go all the way through was to mill away some of the material.
    It was an improvisation for the lack of tools.

The material and the tools i use is not what i would love to use for the building of the machines but it's what i have and i have to build everything around these limitations.

Post Thanks / Like
    nice work pal. keep at it!

Machine Builder I build Tattoo Machines Jack Steel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    another tip green loctite
    no more holedrilling for bearings

Post Thanks / Like
    That's a great tip. Thank you very much.