Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

hawk spirit question

hey everyone...i picked up a hawk spirit a few months ago and ive found out a few things....i have trouble snagging while lining as its a 3 mm stroke so ive been using it for color/shading...it really whacks it in! im trying to figure out what makes it put the color in soo fast...is it the hawk needle cartridges, does it run at higher cps? or is it the lack of a soft rubber grommet?

any feedback?

heres a pict of some stuff i did w the spirit

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0068.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	25379Click image for larger version. 

Name:	web color tiger backpiece tattoo.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	25380

Machine Builder I build Tattoo Machines No Iron Machines's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    tattoo look very nice, how many hours u took ????

HAWK is good machine, for my opinion, maybe 3.5 or 4 mm stroke can be better, u can done everything more easy, but the tattoo look very good, compliments

Post Thanks / Like
    Anything without give can really pound color in with enough torque and speed. Although technique goes a lot farther. If you are having a good experience with color and this machine it most likely has more to do with your hand speed, stretch, and how much you float your hand. Most any no-give machine could give you similar results. Looks like you have a unique style there, the shading in the back looks really smooth.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree, cant put my finger on it, but the spirit saturates unlike any machine ive ever used. I use t=tech and its beast, just like with the Cheyenne carts. definitely my favorite machine right now. when I first lined with it I liked it a lot, I even posted something on here bout it. then some one said it was because the skin was tight in that area and sure enough I tatted some loose skin, and snag city, lol. but the best color blender, shader, packer, love it. getting a thunder this month, the 4mm stroke and the faster motor makes a hell of a liner! I used a co-workers and love that bitch too. hate to admit it, but they make a beast of a machine, lol. want to grab a flite v2 combo real bad also. anyway your work there, is beast too man! great work.

Machine Builder I build Tattoo Machines slicksteel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    You young guys and your "BEAST" mode! hahaha

SSI -SUPER SLICK IRONS-top shelf custom coil machines
    American Made Machines

[email protected]
    https://www.facebook.com/evanstattooing

Post Thanks / Like
    just reread that, lmao.

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for reply...ive used neotat, stigma, stealth, whip, and dragonfly but nothing saturates like this...its amazing

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for reply...i used it last night as a liner and it was working beast lol...maybe ill try a thunder too....although when i went to buy a thunder the sales people said that they get alot of thunders returned because of problems w the motor, so they steered me towards a spirit...which i love...but id like a little longer stroke...id like to think they may have worked out the bugs w the motor by now....any idea what kinda of motor the hawks use?

Post Thanks / Like
    Havent read to see if this question has been covered but its simple really.. the common cause of any machine snagging is technical, its running to slow or too much needle hang usually its a combination.. the hawk is a direct drive rotary so technically it doesnt hit any harder or softer regardless of volts volts is just hand speed i fixed my problem with more volts and pulling the lines in oppose to pushing.. hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like
    the spirit is a bomb ass machine, and I love it, and yes you can line with it. however, if you are in a flabby section even without too much hang and me running that thing at 11v, it still will snag. I don't know, like someone said, if its the longer stroke or the stronger motor, or a combination of both, but the thunder doesn't snag like the spirit. no one wanted this to be different more than me, I even posted about how well it lined when I tattooed a calf, so I was real hopeful. then did a breast piece and then a neck and also a ribs piece, all at 11v for lining and the needle not anywhere close to the end of the tip of the cart an still it snagged. yeah I got through the pieces by slowing down and stretching really tightly, and it can be done, its just a hassle to have to slow your hand speed that much, at least in my eyes and for my personal use. just my opinion