Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

3D printed DD rotary from Norway!

Yo!

I thought I should share my latest project, my 3D printed machines!
    Right around christmas I figured I should by myself a 3D printer, had no idea what I could use it for, but it didn't take long before I started some drawings in Sketchup for machineframes.
    I have been building coilmachines and rotaries for about 3 years now, with mixed results. But now, I'm onto something.

The machines are printed in four parts; Vice, vicescrew, motorbody and the "custom" backplate.
    And the process takes about 2-3 hours printing in total, and with my setup, it requires a bit of finishing, sanding, grinding and polish. I guess one machine takes about 6-7hours to make.
    Parts are printed in PLA (sugar/corn-based plastic, gives a nice stone-ish feel and look when sanded and polished, its even environmental friendly, like I care when I'm driving around with my Ford Bronco 302..)

Motor is the Mabuchi RK-370CA, cant remember the specs right now, but it runs great around 8volts.

My goal with this project was to be able to find the perfect rotary liner, that fits my way of tattooing. And I think I've succeeded.
    I have used a couple of prototypes for 5-6months now, and they are still giving a nice punch!
    Primary for old school, bold and solid.

Gives nice lines with 3-5-7-9, and whips awesome with 9-11-15mag. The cam wheel is chinamade, until i get the bucks to buy myself a small lathe, and has a 4.5mm stroke.

I haven't seen anyone print rotarys before, only some halfass coil-frames, that I do not think is any good, vibrations, cracks, heat etc. And big and ugly.

The design I have come up with is more practical than visual, easy to disassemble, replace parts and clean. Designwise it is kinda difficult to design something that's easy to print, without many hours of cleaning etc.

So, anyone that thinks this could be something?
    I want to spend more money on swiss motors, but then the total cost would be to high, and I really think the Mabuchis are great.

I hope you likeylike!

-Kristoffer, Sail Away Tattoo, Drammen, Norway

Here are some pics!

bilde.jpgimage.jpgimage(1).jpgimage(2).jpg

2. Like Machined Ink, John liked this post.
    Post Thanks / Like
    These look great mate.. And that's a really good idea 3d printing your own design.. 6-7 hours to make one is a very acceptable turnaround too.. Let us know if you go into selling them as I'm sure you'd get interest bro.
    Oh and welcome to the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    great idea, the machine look nice and light. how much weight ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ATS View Post
    These look great mate.. And that's a really good idea 3d printing your own design.. 6-7 hours to make one is a very acceptable turnaround too.. Let us know if you go into selling them as I'm sure you'd get interest bro.
    Oh and welcome to the forum!
    Thanks!
    6-7hours isnīt that much really, after spending many hours welding, grinding, brazing and winding coilmachines, this is the faster way.
    There will be machines for sale, i guess a batch of limited prototypes in the first place, and before that there will be a couple machines for my co-workers to play with.

The fun thing with 3D printing is the variety in customizing each machine, colours etc. And the idea behind the backplate is that i can add whatever the customer wants, that is printable.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinhas View Post
    great idea, the machine look nice and light. how much weight ?
    Thanks!
    Well, I havenīt weight it yet, but the motor is around 50grams, my guess itīs about 100grams in total. Very light and designed to have a nice balance.

It runs a bit slower than the DD rotary from H&M Roman, at the same volts, but feels a bit more like a punchy whipshader coilmachine.

Right now Iīm trying to design the motorframe a bit better for finishing, it has a lot of angles and edges in the original design, but is a big pain to sand down and polish. You just canīt use any machines to sand it down since its plastic and that will melt the areas being sanded. (no issues with heat when tattooing etc.)

Here is an example, both lined and packed with my prototypes:
    bilde-2.jpg

6. Thanks ATS thanked for this post.
    Like cagelavey liked this post.
    Post Thanks / Like
    nice! i 3d printed some prototypes a couple years ago but i got kind of bored with the whole 3d printing thing and sold my printers to buy guitars lol.
    heres one of the first i made.

8. Like John, iden liked this post.
    Machine Builder I build Tattoo Machines No Iron Machines's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    COMPLIMENTS, didi u done the program youself ? very cool

about the 4.5 mm stroke u wanna done, for my opinion after 3.5 stroke on direct drive,the needles bar gonna move to much lateral, no good

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by No Iron Machines View Post
    COMPLIMENTS, didi u done the program youself ? very cool

about the 4.5 mm stroke u wanna done, for my opinion after 3.5 stroke on direct drive,the needles bar gonna move to much lateral, no good
    Thank you!
    Yes, I designed the whole thing in Sketchup, the ones I have ended up using is the third render of the frame, I guess the fourth and fifth render will be the completed design..
    I actually designed my 3D printer as well :P
    First i bought the Makerfarm Prusa i3, but I wasnīt happy with it at all, too much vibrations and movement.
    Then I redesigned the printer to a H-bot gantry with fishing lines, but that one became to unstable.
    And now I have the IKEA-hacked something-shelf, hammered together with the axis I need and in some different materials.
    The linear bearings from the Makerfarm was some poor shit, so I found some old steel-grips that got lubed up, slides like a motherf***!

Ill post some pics of the "ScrapBot" and some videos later!

4.5mm stroke is what I have, and I got it to work fine. The needlebar is not hitting the tube and no rubberbands has snapped yet!

My goal is to build some prototypes to sell, and the fund a better printersetup that gives me less cleanup after printing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a couple of pictures of my DIY 3D printer, the awesome scrapbot! Built out of stuff I had lying around and from the first printer i bought.

bilde 2.jpgbilde 1.jpg

12. Like DougHardy, turnrock, John liked this post.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Repstraps are the rad,theres some group in Africa literally making them out of trash/e-waste they get at the dump.shoot as long as the prints look good.
    iden your prints do look smooth,did you give them an acetone bath?

I used my commercial 3d printer to print most of the parts to make a Tantillus http://www.tantillus.org/Home.html. Yup you can 3d print a 3d printer.welcome to the future.

14. Like Ofeloner liked this post.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by turnrock View Post
    Repstraps are the rad,theres some group in Africa literally making them out of trash/e-waste they get at the dump.shoot as long as the prints look good.
    iden your prints do look smooth,did you give them an acetone bath?

I used my commercial 3d printer to print most of the parts to make a Tantillus http://www.tantillus.org/Home.html. Yup you can 3d print a 3d printer.welcome to the future.
    Oh yes!
    Itīs cool to make something out of what you got, and actually get a pretty decent product with it.
    Most of mye coilmachines that I have built are from scrapmetal, coins, keys and whatever. Even made my own coilcores from 8mm bolts, haha.

The rotarys are printed in PLA, easy to sand down with fine grit, some filing and polish. ABS feels too plastic imo. PLA gives a more stoneish-feel to it all assembled.

Yeah, I have downloaded the files for the Tantillus, thats where I got the inspiration to use fishing line from. Too bad they stopped selling that printer..
    I have a couple small printers i mind for 2015 that looks pretty good.
    Next year will be a big boom of small and affordable printers I think!