Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Knows Whats Up!
    Post Thanks / Like

needle snagging?

I am having trouble with needle snags. I use the stealth and Bishop, I do not get needle snags with the stealth, coils or any other equipment but do get them with the bishop. I run the stealth with the longest bearing stroke and never have any issues. I run the machine between 6 and 7. With the stealth I hang a ton of needle out. The bishop I run the needle right at end of the tube with the needle still in the tube. Ive tried adjusting my hand speed turned up the machine turned it down and just keep have it happening. Any advice? is this machine just not for me, perhaps I need a longer stroke? Some times I have no issues then another tattoo ill keep doing it, its bumming me out because its something Ive never been proned to do. Also I tend to run my my machines with the needle straight up and down.

Machine Builder I build Tattoo Machines slicksteel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    there is a bit of play in all coil machines & the stealth with a arcing motion, the bishop and neotat are truly linear as they go up n down with the clip.try to not run the needle so straight up/down. Your hand has learned to work with the arcing motion so its like retraining your small motors skills to a new motion. I think its better if a person sticks to one style of machine (give -no give ,linear,swash etc and just let the art flow instead of constantly trying to adapt to new machines.

SSI -SUPER SLICK IRONS-top shelf custom coil machines
    American Made Machines

[email protected]
    https://www.facebook.com/evanstattooing

Machine Builder I build Tattoo Machines Dan Kubin's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Man, I'm always switching up my machines...it keeps it fun and interesting. My machines are like mistresses that I don't get in trouble for messing around with.
    never used a bishop, so I'm not much use. maybe you are running a bit too slow and hanging too much needle out.

Knows Whats Up!
    Post Thanks / Like
    I use a variety of machines all the time and know them back and forth and adapt quickly to any machine but this one and the needle snag issue. I dont have the needle out of the tube at all its made it happen a little less. But putting it back in the tube will make the stroke way to short to my liking. I never thought about the linear motion being the issue. Maybe thats it. I thought about buying the rotary works with the longer stroke so the needle goes back into the tube a ways and I can still used a huge stroke.

Machine Builder I build Tattoo Machines slicksteel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    you could use it put back and the tube and use it in a scrubbing motion with large mags ala J. Carltons style.in that style you actually use the tip of the barrel to stretch the skin abit. and with varied pressure you get a variety of shades.
    P.S. if you all ready know this,just trying to help.

SSI -SUPER SLICK IRONS-top shelf custom coil machines
    American Made Machines

[email protected]
    https://www.facebook.com/evanstattooing

Administrator/The Site Owner The Sheriff Alie K's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used to get snags when I'd use my mid-length neotat when I first started using it. It took me a little while to get used to the machine, and now it doesn't happen any more. I had to pull my needles back inside the tube a little more than I would with a coil or some other machines. I also had to change my hand pressure with it if I'm just riding the tips of the needles. If I'm riding the tube, I'll barely hang the needles out at all - maybe 1.5mm. That seemed to work for shading/coloring. I prefer using the longer stroke variety for lining (needle snags don't happen with that at all). I have to line with the mid-stroke at more of an angle rather than straight up and down like I would with a longer stroke machine or a coil.

Knows Whats Up!
    Post Thanks / Like
    yeah ill have to try that its wierd some tattoos it hasnt happened at all and then some times a lot. I may have had the needle back up in the tube a bit more on the ones that it didnt snag. thanks for the help

Administrator/The Site Owner The Sheriff Alie K's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let us know how it worked for you.

Knows Whats Up!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sucked the needle up into the tube just a hair more problem solved. I use curved mags and had the middle of the needle hang just barely over the edge of the tube. Which just seemed to be a bit much for how I tattoo. Still like the machine, I think I just prefer a stroke a hair longer so I can use the tips more and see what im doing a little easier.

Knows Whats Up!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hendricksonart.com View Post
    Sucked the needle up into the tube just a hair more problem solved. I use curved mags and had the middle of the needle hang just barely over the edge of the tube. Which just seemed to be a bit much for how I tattoo. Still like the machine, I think I just prefer a stroke a hair longer so I can use the tips more and see what im doing a little easier.
    You mention curved mags, I use them also, but the ones with only a slight curve. Too much curve might be forcing you into too much protrusion. Persevere with the Bishop, I have one,out of my arsenal it's the most versatile machine of all ,no fooling with adjustments,just turn it up or down.