Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Machine Builder I build Tattoo Machines Tat2nu's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Presenting Eccentric Devices direct drive by Needlejig

Hey Guys, after this weekend I am done with the touring season and I wanted to share what I have been working on in the background. I am starting a new line of machines and accessories called "Eccentric Devices" and below is the first direct drive model that we should have available by the holidays. I am calling the model "Switch" for it's ability to easily "Switch" stroke lengths. I already have plans for a linear drive using this same concept but I can only work on one project properly at a time. The concept behind my machines is to use a dual eccentric cam. There is a Bearing Housing that has the bearing and armature pin off center just like most other direct drive rotary machines. Then that Bearing Housing is held off center in the Cam Housing and locked in place by a single set screw. You simple loosen that set screw and turn the Bearing Housing to any position that you would like for stroke length. The stroke length on these machines is infinitely variable between 2.4mm-4.4mm. To be honest I can not see people wanting anything shorter or longer. I am using a Maxon motor in order to keep the machine smaller and lighter. There is almost no vibration from these machines at all at the short to medium throw and very little with the long throw. I have also created a larger brass vise knob that really helps to distribute the weight over the tube so that there is close to no back end weight. Even with the large brass vise knob the machine is weighing in at only 4.15oz. I am taking my three prototypes to the Providence show this weekend to let a few friends try them and I also want to get some feedback from you folks as to whether there is a demand for these. As it stands I will be making about 30 more machines starting next week after the show but if there is a bigger demand I may step that production number up some. Take a look, tear my idea apart and let me know what you think.

Sincerely,
    Marc Lescarbeau
    Needlejig Tattoo Supply, Inc.

IMG_3864.jpgIMG_3865.jpgIMG_3866.jpgIMG_3869.jpgIMG_3870.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    those look pretty amazing, would love to try one of these!

Post Thanks / Like
    With the amount of adjustable DD's out right now, I think the price will be the key to this machine.
    The sooner you don't care what other people think about you, the better off you will be. aerochild.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Pretty sure a video and price would be a good "starter"...I don't mean to sound like a shit.....BUT, Rotaries just seem to be going round in Circles (Pun)...Just looks like too many others, maybe the performance or price will set it aside..

Quote "I am taking my three prototypes to the Providence show this weekend to let a few friends try them"...Can I suggest you let other people try them, at Providence, that way you may get "true feedback"
    Last edited by skinmech; 10-16-2014 at 05:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just got a couple of videos up to share. One showing how easy and fast it is to change the stroke of the machine and the second shows how quiet and smooth it runs. I am still working out the numbers but my goal is to keep it right around $400ish. I will know better once I do this next batch because it will go at a different pace than the prototyping phase. Those damn motors are expensive even buying in quantity and with 6 machined parts that all need finishing and then assembly and testing you guys know what goes into them.

Sincerely,
    Marc Lescarbeau

Post Thanks / Like

Sincerely,
    Marc Lescarbeau

Post Thanks / Like
    What is the machine made out of? And I hate to say, Paul is right it looks a lot like another established machine. I won't name names I mean no ill will. I assume this will prove itself just fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    The machine is made from 6061 Aluminum. There is only so much that one can do with appearances but I assure you that I would never intentionally copy anything already being done. I believe that my reputation and 23 years in the business speak well for me. I would be interested in knowing what machine you think it resembles as there are many builders out there that I am completely unaware of. I do not pay close attention to other peoples products unless my customers start mentioning them and then I may look into carrying them. I have been designing rotary machines on paper and in Solidworks for many years and only recently found some free time and motivation to get some metal flying around my machine shop. There is only so much time and money available at any given point for new projects. My company has consumed the majority of my time over the last few years but I recently expanded again and hired a full time office manager and warehouse supervisor so that I have more time to pursue what I do best. That is to improve and create new items to make tattoo artist lives easier. I am a tattooer first and a supplier second. It is not about the money, it is about my love for the art.

This is a simple direct drive because it was the quickest and easiest for me to produce to see if there is an interest for my designs. I have far more complicated designs including a number of ideas that I have not yet seen done but I will only head down that road if there is an actual demand for them.

Sincerely,
    Marc Lescarbeau

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skinmech View Post
    Pretty sure a video and price would be a good "starter"...I don't mean to sound like a shit.....BUT, Rotaries just seem to be going round in Circles (Pun)...Just looks like too many others, maybe the performance or price will set it aside..

Quote "I am taking my three prototypes to the Providence show this weekend to let a few friends try them"...Can I suggest you let other people try them, at Providence, that way you may get "true feedback"
    When I say "friends" you have to keep in mind that I know at least half of the people at the shows on a first name basis. Any professional working at the show can try out one of my machines as long as I know that I will get it back for others to try. My real friends would never just tell me what I want to hear anyways. They want me to succeed and you can not do that with mediocre products. I wish that I had more completed but time was a huge constraint. I actually had no intentions of having them done in time to bring any but once I could see the finish line I had to get a few finished.

Sincerely,
    Marc Lescarbeau

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, now I know what you guys were talking about. Dan Kubin commented on my Facebook post about doing something similar but trickier a couple years ago. He also mentioned that he no longer utilizes that system and employs a simpler design now. That being said, I was completely unaware of his design or I would have most likely contacted him about my improvements on it before showing anyone. I met Dan in Iowa this last February and we had a great conversation. I even shared other ideas that I had that have not been done in rotaries with him. We got along great and I think that we appreciate each other creativity.

Secondly, I was texting with Soba from Workhorse the other day about buying a laser engraver and in the process sent him images of my new rotary and he responded asking me if I had seen Mike Pike's rotary. I will tell you that I was pretty freaked out when I found Mike's page and saw what looks like an almost identical cam design. I felt almost stupid considering I was semi-bragging about my new design to an old friend that has been selling Mike's machines for a month or so. I am not exactly sure how long Mike has been working on that design but I have had mine on the drawing board since the beginning of this year and just got done being on the road and actually had real time to get in the machine shop and start production. I have just reached out to Mike and am anxious to hear back from him. There is no way that I could have know what Mike had in the works.

As for credit for my inspiration, it would probably have to go to Gaston if anyone but I did not even realize that until just recently. I remember seeing the video on changing his cams on the Direkt a long time ago. Somewhere in the back of my mind I am always looking to improve and simplify everything that I encounter so when I was working on a direct drive I did just that. Make it a clean and simple as I possibly could. I was in no way trying to copy anyone and those that know me would know this to be true. I have way to many orignal ideas of my own to steal from others. If I was going to even touch on another builders ideas it would only be if I could take it to the next level not just ride on another man's coat tails. Just so you know, Gaston was the first other builder that I sent pics to when I completed the first machine and he thought it was "Dope bro"...

Sincerely,
    Marc Lescarbeau