Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Spektra edge x

Post Thanks / Like
    https://vimeo.com/115658964

Hope this video help on the give!

2. Like John, gautam, bustitout liked this post.
    Post Thanks / Like
    hah straight to the point!

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay so I received mine today with DarkLab tubes, I must say first off as many of you know I have used a fuck ton of machines. I mean a fuck ton. And honestly imo this machine out beats the rest. The quality of this machine just by looking at it out of the box says enough.

I ran mine today with the dark lab disposables and I couldn't expect anything more but brilliance from fkirons.

Lining (keeping it at the 4mm length) lined flawlessly, tight 5 and 8 round. With a small grip adjustment to a shorter length it(with no give) packs it in amazingly.

With just a little of give( which I learned from the give adjustment video ) you literally...turn the fucking knob. Haha. But it layered color and to the black just the same, with ease.

I have absolutely nothing bad to say about this machine besides great work as usual fkirons.

5. Thanks gautam thanked for this post.
    Like joelhague, , Tat2dPinoy, Dreviltattoo liked this post.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great video there...
    Basically... Turn the Fucking Knob

Post Thanks / Like
    Got my Spektra Edge X in yesterday and was excited to try it out! Unfortunately it wasn't the end all machine I was hoping for. I tried it on two pieces; a small realistic color piece and a black and gray sleeve I've been working on.

I tried lining with a long taper T-Tech. I started with the stock 3.5 length no give which gave me mediocre results. I then tried it with some give and it worked better so long as I wasn't afraid to sink it in more than I'm used to and also slow my hand speed down. I switched it to the longest stroke length(4.2 I think?) with no give and it lined okay but not as well as I like my spektra direkt at 4.0mm with a conventional setup or a good coil. Maybe it's my carts? I got the long taper liners on the recommendation of a few coworkers about T-Tech carts.

I tried some color blending at the 3.5 stroke length with a T-Tech 11 curved mag. Color blending worked really well and I played around with the give knob, eventually settling on a minimal give setting as I'm used to rotaries with no give. One of the best color blending machines I've come across rivaling my 3.5 neotat

Color packing wasn't too bad either. Not as good as my personal favorite a 3.2mm Direkt but pretty close. Might just have to play around with it a bit more.

Unfortunately I didn't get to experiment fully with Black and Gray much. I didn't want to butcher up my client so after I tried out the Edge X for a few minutes and couldn't find a good setting I had my conventional setup on standby. I'm really picky with my Black and Gray machines so finding out the ideal setup for black and gray, might take me a while which means I'll probably have to butcher my roommates thigh for an evening. If anybody has any help with what they like to use with the edge X it'd be appreciated(Stroke length, give options, bugpin or regular carts, T-Tech or Cheyenne)!

I was hoping when I ordered the Edge X you could change the stroke length on the fly. You can't in practical usage. While it's very easy compared to most machines to adjust stroke, you have to line it up so that the screw is facing the top and then unscrew it and pivot it in the direction you want for shorter or longer. Which means if you wanted to change the stroke length mid tattoo you'd have to line up the cams, bust out the hex wrench and unbag your machine.

I really wanted the Edge X to be the one but I think I'm going to have to set up a separate liner still. Which really sucks because it's sooo convenient to just slip your clip cord cover over the whole machine and RPG grip, wrap some sensi tape around the RPG grip part and just punch a small whole in the plastic for where the cartridges go in.
    Last edited by gerardcon; 01-09-2015 at 11:41 AM.

8. Like nathan bauer liked this post.
    Machine Builder I build Tattoo Machines fkirons's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Spektra edge x

Quote Originally Posted by gerardcon View Post
    Got my Spektra Edge X in yesterday and was excited to try it out! Unfortunately it wasn't the end all machine I was hoping for. I tried it on two pieces; a small realistic color piece and a black and gray sleeve I've been working on.

I tried lining with a long taper T-Tech. I started with the stock 3.5 length no give which gave me mediocre results. I then tried it with some give and it worked better so long as I wasn't afraid to sink it in more than I'm used to and also slow my hand speed down. I switched it to the longest stroke length(4.2 I think?) with no give and it lined okay but not as well as I like my spektra direkt at 4.0mm with a conventional setup or a good coil. Maybe it's my carts? I got the long taper liners on the recommendation of a few coworkers about T-Tech carts.

I tried some color blending at the 3.5 stroke length with a T-Tech 11 curved mag. Color blending worked really well and I played around with the give knob, eventually settling on a minimal give setting as I'm used to rotaries with no give. One of the best color blending machines I've come across rivaling my 3.5 neotat

Color packing wasn't too bad either. Not as good as my personal favorite a 3.2mm Direkt but pretty close. Might just have to play around with it a bit more.

Unfortunately I didn't get to experiment fully with Black and Gray much. I didn't want to butcher up my client so after I tried out the Edge X for a few minutes and couldn't find a good setting I had my conventional setup on standby. I'm really picky with my Black and Gray machines so finding out the ideal setup for black and gray, might take me a while which means I'll probably have to butcher my roommates thigh for an evening. If anybody has any help with what they like to use with the edge X it'd be appreciated(Stroke length, give options, bugpin or regular carts, T-Tech or Cheyenne)!

I was hoping when I ordered the Edge X you could change the stroke length on the fly. You can't in practical usage. While it's very easy compared to most machines to adjust stroke, you have to line it up so that the screw is facing the top and then unscrew it and pivot it in the direction you want for shorter or longer. Which means if you wanted to change the stroke length mid tattoo you'd have to line up the cams, bust out the hex wrench and unbag your machine.

I really wanted the Edge X to be the one but I think I'm going to have to set up a separate liner still. Which really sucks because it's sooo convenient to just slip your clip cord cover over the whole machine and RPG grip, wrap some sensi tape around the RPG grip part and just punch a small whole in the plastic for where the cartridges go in.
    If you need some pointers feel free to ask. I think it's a bit too soon to judge it since you just got it and the machine def runs different than the halo, for example, due to the mechanisms that propels it.

You mentioned that you tried it on two small pieces, so allow yourself a few more tattoos to really see it shine.

I recommend to anyone getting this machine starting up with the set stroke and try it in several tattoos before machine adjustments. As we consider that the factory setting will suit most artists. Or at least try it good before altering it.

Also consider that Ttech and Cheyennes needles behave different as they both have different spring compression so the give may have to be adjusted according.

Regarding lining, you may see better results by adding a bit of give to it (at least that's how I line with ease)

Should you have any questions feel free to contact us.

Oh and regarding the adjustable stroke on the fly... Well ...you just give me work to do for the Edge V2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by fkirons; 01-09-2015 at 07:20 PM.
    For Customer service please contact Kayleigh
    Email under "Contact Us" at fkirons.com

10. Like Ofeloner liked this post.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fkirons View Post
    If you need some pointers feel free to ask. I think it's a bit too soon to judge it since you just got it and the machine def runs different than the halo, for example, due to the mechanisms that propels it.

You mentioned that you tried it on two small pieces, so allow yourself a few more tattoos to really see it shine.

I recommend to anyone getting this machine starting up with the set stroke and try it in several tattoos before machine adjustments. As we consider that the factory setting will suit most artists. Or at least try it good before altering it.

Also consider that Ttech and Cheyennes needles behave different as they both have different spring compression so the give may have to be adjusted according.

Regarding lining, you may see better results by adding a bit of give to it (at least that's how I line with ease)

Should you have any questions feel free to contact us.

Oh and regarding the adjustable stroke on the fly... Well ...you just give me work to do for the Edge V2

Makes since, sometimes takes a min to get the feel of something new. Especially something that hasn't existed before. all machines have lil nuances that must be learned, just takes time

Post Thanks / Like
    give it some time, this machine has been the best I've used yet and honestly die say keep using it, how familiar are you exactly with rotaries anyway guatum? i only ask because your profile says you've been tattooing since last year.

Post Thanks / Like
    I received my Edge X today and set it up immediately for a walk in script tattoo. I used it how it was set up out of the box and used a ttech 9RL bugpin and ran it at about 10.5v. I was really impressed. The learning curve switching from my Cheyenne Hawk Thunder was minimal. It lined much like the Hawk. I did another small script tattoo a little later with a smaller liner, set up the same way, just used a little less volts. Another winner. My late appointment cancelled so I tattooed myself for a bit because I really wanted to test out the give and adjust the stroke. I did some black and gray shading with the give at what i would guess is 50% at about 9.5v and man was it smooth. I also did some color shading at the same voltage and just took the give all the way up to 100 and then dialed it back down to about 50%. I really didnt think I would find a machine that worked as well as my Hawk or the Flite that I sold to buy this but I'm really excited to use this as a daily driver for a few weeks. This is the first FK/Spektra machine I've ever used and all I can say is, my compliments to Gaston and everyone at FKI.

14. Like bustitout liked this post.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice! Ray this machine has def gone beyond what I thought it could be. I never was truly a give guy and this changed my mind come tell. Glad to hear!!