Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

my fresh tattoos look mucky as fuck!!!!

im getting angry/upset at the fact that every tattoo i do in colour looks fucking horrid to me when its fresh, mucky, bloody and a lot of highlights just blend in until healed.
    i can't get the almost healed look at the end of a session like i see others can, it doesn't matter if i use curved or m1's, give, more or less depth than usual, or even tryna slow down....that results me just going back to a very fast hand speed that i have.
    I'd do consider myself fast, probs the quickest out of 9 of us in our studio. they all say I'm brutal... and need the least amount of touch ups.
    its defo my technique, I'm wondering what anyone on here can advise me on, I'm self taught with no coil machine experience, so rotary always apart from lining.
    i know overworking the skin causes this and i can tell when I've gone heavier than normal, but can't seem to pull away from it when i do.
    its really getting to me as i have my second convention coming up in march and i don't want to feel paranoid about this.

anybody????????? thanks.

nicholasville and danville ky. we have two locations
    Post Thanks / Like
    With your fast hand speed you may actually be irritating the skin by moving too quickly while the needle is still in the skin. This can cause you to get that swollen, red look even without chewing up the skin. if you are using a thick pigment you may want to try using a thinner brand. The saturate a bit quicker and may be able to keep up with your more ..... vigorous ... style of tattooing.

3. Like Noa liked this post.
    Knows Whats Up!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have you tried using witch hazel wipe when you're done ?
    Sidewinders, MC2, Mc 14, MC13, Halo, Lollis, Specific, Diablo. Tried many more

Post Thanks / Like
    yeah witch hazel hasn't helped, i can see the muckyness instantly, I'm pointing the finger at my hand speed for trauma, i use decent size 12 needles so that shouldn't have any input.

any effort i can make to help reduce this? needle hang? less or more give? I'm on a long stroke with my gen8, gone from using a bishop 4.2 in the past.

nicholasville and danville ky. we have two locations
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have you tried a bit less throw? The longer the travel the more force the needles have when the hit the skin. This force can cause excess swelling and trauma. That mixed with a fast hand possibly moving the needles sideways while the needles are still in the skin can be a double dose of irritation. If you were using coils you would likely need a set up with a higher duty cycle, that way the needles spend less time down in the skin and more time up. That would fit well with your hand speed. I figure that with the longer stroke rotaries they are likely running a bit slower and especially with the whipping action of the gen8, likely spend a bit more time in the skin and that is likely what is causing your issue. So perhaps try a shorter stroke machine, and try slowing down your hand speed a bit. As far as more or less needle hang, that is up to you. I will typically have alot of needle hang when I'm moving slower and make single pass solid fill. Less hang for layers, blends and washes with a bit faster machine speed. Hope it helps.

7. Like Noa, nivek liked this post.
    Post Thanks / Like
    use shorter stroke when coloring and bng

9. Like nivek liked this post.
    Knows Whats Up!
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used to have HELLA hang - with switching to rotaries I had to change that, I found that turning it down and having a nice 3.5-4 stroke with not a heck of a lot of hang, really helps me slow down, oddly it made me tattoo faster. I run my machines much lower than others seem to (not all), and it makes you slow down your hand speed, it also allows smoother blends more first pass tattooing.
    Sidewinders, MC2, Mc 14, MC13, Halo, Lollis, Specific, Diablo. Tried many more

11. Like Noa liked this post.
    Post Thanks / Like
    ok so.....last time i used shorter strokes like 3.5 i had consistently bad healing, i was well overworking the skin.
    thats why i went for the longer ones.

i was always told lots of hang on rotaries compared to a coil helps, guess ill ignore that for now then thanks.
    so ill try less hang and more volts next time (the volts only change the speed on the gen8 and not the force), maybe just a little give in there????
    if that doesn't work i might go try a diff machine like a neotat 2.5 maybe?? with no give

appreciate the input on this. thank you.

Machine Builder I build Tattoo Machines fkirons's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

my fresh tattoos look mucky as fuck!!!!

Lower Your Machine speed drastically and crack up voltage until you see you are getting somewhere. Watch how you are laying the color and rethink your technique. You are less prone to over work the skin with a slower machine and this will also allow you to slow down your pace and what what you really do with every hand swing.

This used to happen to me in my early attempts to realistic tattoos. I realized that a slower machine did the trick for me and I was able to actually see what really went on with my tattooing process and how to avoid irritation and overworking the skin.

Fast is only good if you can control every needle poke to the skin.

Be careful with your bugpins and curve mags. Switch to #12 medium to long taper and take it from there.

Skin is not a canvas, It's an organ, and we have to be careful with it.

Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    For Customer service please contact Kayleigh
    Email under "Contact Us" at fkirons.com

14. Like AltarVinz, Mog, nivek, casey liked this post.
    Post Thanks / Like
    thank you, i have found long taper needles do less irritation for me, i never use bug pins,,, always a size 12.
    i seem to overwork the skin easier with a curved mag rather than an m1, but an artist in the shop who does colour realism swears by curved, I've watched him work and asked questions but he can't seem to help me. ill update this in a few days after I've done some pieces and se how i go on, thank you all so much.