Post Thanks / Like

Is the ability to easily vary the stroke length on a rotary important?

Hello, dont know if this is the correct place for this. If it is not, I apologize.

BTW, I signed up here a while back but never did come back so kind of new here and not too savvy with the groove of this place.

Okay, here is my question.

How important of a feature would it be to have the ability to very easily change the stroke of a machine from, say, 2mm to 5mm without tools or taking the machine apart, just the simple turn of a knob . The longer the stroke, the more the rate of descent increases, not just over all faster but slower at the beginning of the stroke and faster at the end, snappier. Some people prefer long, some short but was thinking if you can change it so easily, would it be a welcome feature to be included in a rotary, or just be considered gimmicky?

nicholasville and danville ky. we have two locations
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think it would great. And allow for the quick adjustment to different types of skin. I think fk is working on something like this. Personally I think stroke is more important than give from an efficiency stand Point. But everyone tattoos differently.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool. Do you know if it is to be tool free and without the need to replace anything? And where did you hear this, just curious.

Knows Whats Up!
    Post Thanks / Like
    The swashdrive combo and gen 8 can go from 1mm to over 5mm with no tools...
    the fki edge goes from 3 to 4mm with tools and isnt very capable of minor adjustments in stroke. There is a few direct drives and various machines that have adjustable stroke cams.... but aren't adjustable on the fly.

Post Thanks / Like
    See, the deal breaker for me was always the use of tools or the stroke rate was always either the normal rotary stroke where you lose speed at the last 10 percent or so from the rotational curve or the swash with the consistent rate up and down. I always wanted something that actually speeds up at the end of the stroke and is snappier when it hits. Slow to fast AND was adjustable stroke on the fly.

The new stingray uses the ducati desmodromic valve system to do this to a point but they didnt take full advantage of the design and its a real pain to change the stroke.

Post Thanks / Like
    What about the Halo? No tools required, seconds to change motors with different strokes.

Post Thanks / Like
    paul porter had a swashdrive gen 8 special edition with adjustable stroke.he can give you a review on how practical it is

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats was my swashdrive from Paul - the stroke adjuster works very well and you can do all ... my only bad was that i get with the adjustable gen8 always some give - its never stays like a rock , so i have now the compact and its a dream to work . Its now my only rotary ( except sidewinders and a whip ) -all other is coils. With the weights you get more or less force , or more speed in the needle