Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cheyenne or spektra edge ?

Guys do any of you have both machines ? I'm trying to make a choice of which machine to buy next as I want to go back to the hawk cartridges for my portrait work and B&G

Would be interested to see if you feel ones better that the other ? Or if one has more pros than cons - really can't make up my mind 😡

Also who's using disposable grips like the RPG's ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    i got a Thunder and a Spektra Edge.
    I have to say i like both... The Thunder hits like a hammer. Which is good for bold lines and always have good results with lining on difficult skin areas. E.g. Ribs...
    It is good for coloring as well, but because of the stroke and the powerful Motor it's hard to use for soft shadings. It will work definitely, but in my opinion this ist the strength of the Edge-X.

I used the Edge-X for 2 times now. Sur you have to find your own setup with stroke, Voltage, Give... But, man i mentioned during the 2nd tattoo that this machine will be my daily drawer!
    I haven't tried coloring yet, but if you look at John Dame's Vid's on Youtube i'm sure my Thunder will have have a longer rest.
    With the longest stroke an no give, compared to the thunder, i feel that the edge has a bit more vibrations, but believe me... this is just at a point when you can find no other bad things about a tattoo machine...

And for the disposable grips, i used the Ego's which fit for the Cheyenne Vice and the Standard vie a few times. Also Easy to use and sure a good option, but for me i stick with the original Cheyenne Grips.
    I Like the depth adjusting very much and also the way to lock plastic in to metal. Plastic in to plastic feels a bit weird.

These are just my personal feelings...
    I'm sure there are some other opinions as well

Post Thanks / Like
    I just said this in the Edge thread in the same area here, and I'm just going to copy-paste it as it's relevant.

Fantastic! Gaston, you and the crew should rightfully be proud of this one. Honestly with the Edge and Edge X, I cannot see why anyone would choose a Cheyenne at this point. The combination of flexibility (EASILY changeable hit, quickly changeable stroke, and the vice and screw-on attachments built in), ability to properly clean the unit (I've always loved this aspect of being able to remove the motor to be able to even autoclave the body of the Spektra rotaries), and the Hexbolt giving incredibly smooth performance makes this machine one of the most absolutely best cartridge machines I have ever used. I'll be telling friends about this one. Thanks again Gaston!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thinking of the cons... Honestly the only Con I can say is that mmmmmmaybe it just won't 'fit' with you. I've only been using rotaries for a couple years now, but when I took the plunge I purchased a bunch of different ones because like pretty much all of us, I am a finicky bastard when it comes to tattoo equipment. We all know we can grab any machine really and make lines and shading with them, but we just get to the point where we find what we like and stick with it.

I tried many different rotaries that are incredibly well built, but just weren't "me". I have to say I WANTED to like the Cheyenne Thunder, but the lack of any real flexibility behind it just didn't sit right with me (along with having to use either a proprietary power supply or that stupid cord with a fucking brick of circuitry on it). The Edge X blows the Thunder out of the water. I will not hesitate to recommend it to you, I seriously doubt you will will dislike it unless you fill it with epoxy or cat sand before you use it haha

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh and I should mention I've used both the Cheyenne grip and the new Tatsoul disposables with my EX and they work absolutely fantastic. I am probably going to be using the cheyenne grip less and less as time goes on. It's a really neat concept, but honestly it does skeeve me a bit with the reuse (I witnessed a tattooer in Australia recently who didn't even wrap his while tattooing. Ugh.

Post Thanks / Like

Cheyenne or spektra edge ?

Thanks for
    the replies guys - I had kinda made up my mind on the Cheyenne - only because I'd had one before - but now I'm going to look at the the edge x - I'm liking the sound of all the adjustment on it

Post Thanks / Like
    What's nice about the adjustments is that they are very straightforward. The turn nob for give is simple and brilliant.

Post Thanks / Like
    The EDGE is way way way better then the cheyenne,, way cleaner lines, shades easyr, and is faster at color packing. The difference is night and day,,I useto use the hawk everyday until I got my edge,, then I sold my hawk..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ofeloner View Post
    The EDGE is way way way better then the cheyenne,, way cleaner lines, shades easyr, and is faster at color packing. The difference is night and day,,I useto use the hawk everyday until I got my edge,, then I sold my hawk..
    Do you have the edge or the the edge X ?

I'm considering the non adjustable one now, I'm mainly looking at it for black & grey and lining really.

Machine Builder I build Tattoo Machines No Iron Machines's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fuck cheyenne, support fk bro.......