Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    So I've used the compact for a few weeks and I keep getting this weird fluctuation in speed. I had the same thing happen with one of the whips but chalked it up to the motor possibly going bad as it was a few years old. I tried two different critical supplies and I'm using a high quality rca cable. I run it on constant without using a foot pedal and it clearly changes pitch and speed randomly. Anybody else have issues with this, or have any idea how to stop it? It's pretty annoying. I have lubed the rose joint as suggested.

Post Thanks / Like
    ya man...i have experienced it as well....its really, really weird

it almost seems to me like it has something to do with friction caused from the drive bar hitting or rubbing in the grip.
    i can not figure it out.....it doesnt happen all the time, and seems to happen at the most random times
    but it seems to happen , when the machine has been running for awhile....2-3 hours
    i hope its not a flaw in the motor or engineering of it...because i fucking love my swash combo, the best cart machine i have used
    i dont thingk it is your power supply or cable...because it happens to me aswell

would be really interested to figure it out

im gonna try it with the t-tech plunger bar...and see if it still happens
    let me know if you figure it out man...because i am stumped as well!!
    Last edited by chris-in-cali; 07-27-2015 at 09:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I got a gen 8 cutback about 4 months ago and it did the same thing. I trouble shot all through it to no avail until I arrived at the stay up spring. Its super easy to take out and put in so I took it out. The machine stopped fluctuating and runs Amazing now with more power and subtlety.

Post Thanks / Like
    good advice , but the combo doesnt have a stay up spring, that job falls to the carts
    but you got me thinking a bit, maybe it is the tension in the carts
    since it really only happens when it is loaded
    ....i use t-tech which has less tension the cheyenne

Post Thanks / Like
    Try running it with standard tubes and needles?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm, that's weird... I've got a Whip, Compact and a Gen8 and haven't had any power fluctuation problems with any of them. What kind of volts are you guys running them at? I usually keep mine between 8 and 10 volts. All with t-techs.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm thinking it might be the give system also, I got a short video of it happening during a tattoo but couldn't get it to happen while I wasn't tattooing but with it still loaded. I run t-techs and everything between 7v-7.8v, I also wondered if the motor was being underpowered. Sorry for hijacking the thread, just thought it might be info that could affect someone picking one up.

*edit. I also cut a push bar from a kingpin disposable cart grip and installed that at the same length, and lubed the ball to see if it was a friction issue. there was no change in performance.
    Last edited by stickmann; 07-28-2015 at 05:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    7.5 to 8.7 volts on a new critical g2 cx1 and cx2. Standard needles and tubes.
    I asked about this on the swash facebook group and Tony Oliver said it's probably some sort of oscillation in the swash plate. (Gen 8 adjustable cutback) I then asked if it was normal to which I received no reply.
    I should probably email him and Im sure I could get a good answer, they have been awesome with all of my other questions.

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried switching to the solid bar which did nothing for the fluctuation, lining with that setup was a nightmare for some reason. I have had to switch back to my DD until I get a response to my email from Swashdrive.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a Compact and so far (thankfully) haven't had any of these fluctuation issues.

I'm really enjoying it.. by far the most versitile rotary I've used to date. So easy to dial in exactly what you need on the fly.