Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Stylus motor? Mine died.

I am just curious, can I buy a replacement? I want to just do it myself. I am having trouble ordering from stylus and want my machine to work again. Any help such as model number? Or any upgraded motor types would be helpful. If I can use a Maxon, life would be good again.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's a Faulhaber pancake motor. It's the same as the Centri. If you search there was a thread about the motor in the Centri and the builder of the stylus chimed in to say he used the same one.

3. Like joelhague liked this post.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you so much Owls Den. Would anyone know a similar motor that's made by maxon?

Post Thanks / Like
    The best things to do is once you have the specs of the Faulhaber then go look on the Maxon website and see if they make one the same size. But you just have to open your stylus and read the number off the back. I think it is a 2212. Or something similar

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm interested in this also. I want a faster motor in my stylus's. I know rick has been working on the new motor upgrade but I wonder if there's a better pancake style motor so that the machine stays super small

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks again OwlsDen. Your information and help is priceless! And once I get the maxon that works, I will post the model number.

Machine Builder I build Tattoo Machines Jack Steel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi guys ,

there is no maxon version of this type of motor
    the one you need is 2607T012SR if i'm not mistaken
    2607T012SR

Post Thanks / Like

Stylus motor? Mine died.

I do believe he is correct on there not being a Maxon replacement. These type of motors are not common and if you do find one like it, most likely wit will be a brushless one and need a special controller. Although I believe Sanyo ( or another Japanese manufacture ) built some in this style for Walkmans and smaller VCRs although I believe they are very slow around 3000rpm where as you really need 9000rpm or higher

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the Soft version......I have been running it at 14v .....but still don't like it as much as i like my Whip Gen 8 swashdrive.... am i spoiled?
    Any hits or tips would be greatly appreciated

Post Thanks / Like
    ^and that's why stylus motors don't last lol. You have to run them above their max voltage rating to get the machine to run fast enough to tattoo comfortably. They are a 12v max yet when you buy one you're told to run them 12.5v which is still less than 100hz when loaded with a small mag or liner. At least that's my experience .