Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Stigma Hyper V3. Not very happy, unfortunately.

So I've had my Hyper V3 for almost 3 years now. Even convinced my coil-dedicated coworker to get one just over a year ago because I loved it at first. It ran smoothly, the adjustable give was extremely useful, easily my favorite machine for a while. After about a year and a half, my RCA port had become worn or loose or something, and the machine would stutter or come to a complete stop just by holding it at certain angles. I've treated this machine like a newborn and work with a Critical power supply and a Deathless RCA cord. I contacted Stigma and spoke to Petra, and was happy with the prompt and polite customer service even with the slight language barrier. I spent $230 to send it to Greece (int'l shipping, I'm in the US) for repair and return shipping. 2 months later, I received my machine, and it seemed to be working just like new. About a month and a half after I got it back, I began having the same exact problem even after babying it more than before. At this point, I had $800 put into this machine and was extremely reluctant to spend another $230 to send it back just to have the same problem repeat itself. So for the past 7 or 8 months, my Hyper has been sitting in the back of my top drawer and I only break it out as a back-up machine because I'm afraid I'm going to snag someone in the middle of a line when the machine suddenly cuts off.

I ended up just chalking it up to a loss and a good machine of about a year and a half. The reason I say something now is that my coworker's Hyper is starting to do the exact same thing, and it is just out of warranty by a week. He's afraid of spending that money to send it back and getting the same result I did.

We both use machines of other brands including Inkmachines, Bishop, Spektra, and the Valor, but none of them have had any issues like this. It's a shame because I loved that machine before it started acting that way.

I'm not trying to start a riot and say that Stigma is a bad company and makes bad machines, maybe my coworker and I drew the short straws. Just want to tell of my experience with it. Whatever the case, if anybody has any idea where we can get our machines repaired reliably in the US, it'd be really helpful. Thanks guys.

Post Thanks / Like
    You're not alone on this...that's why I got rid of mine and never said anything online before about it. The parts are so weird and small I'm not sure who stateside could do it...

Post Thanks / Like
    Same here!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys, it actually makes me feel a little better knowing we're not alone in this.

Post Thanks / Like
    no fucking way jin mine has done the same thing a few months back and its just over 3 years old.. they sent me an email on how to change it if i buy my own but it does require small soldering, am gonna send it over anyways as its due a service so once i have it back ill let you know the outcome on here

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine did this after 3 weeks-

Stigma said I was using wrong power pack and rca cord-
    Had to send pics of Eikon power pack and rca-

Well, I must have dropped it- nope...
    It was damaged in post- Unlikely as it was brand new in stigma packaging.
    Eventually they gave in and changed the motor, but now said the warranty is void.....WHAT THE F???

So, got the machine back, and it ran well for 8-10 months until the motor poured smoke out of it, while tattooing a customer....

So, to get a new motor replaced by them would now be 200 quid including postage and return- well f that, I bought a replacement motor direct from maxon for 80 , and it has run fine for approx 1 year until today,....it now sounds like its on its way out

Love the machine, but HATE the customer service, and will NEVER buy anything stigma again, and currently looking for a replacement

Knows Whats Up!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just fix it yourself. Seems like an easy fix and a reasonable thing to replace due to wear and tear...

Machine Builder I build Tattoo Machines slicksteel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    allot has to due with the screws that push against the motor to hold it. The motor has to be perfectly upright and balanced with the swashplate. If you have it off it will do this as well as not run smooth and take more volts. If it is off it bind the motor shaft as well as throwing the balance off. It can also cause the motors positive to touch the frame and ground out.As well as were they push against the motor can wallow out a small fraction due to vibrations causing it be off balance etc.
    There is very little wiggle room.The best way to do it is back them all out. They have loctite-on the screws but after several years they get looser so they are easy to back out.. As well as were they push against the motor can will wallow out a small fraction due to vibrations causing it be off balance etc.
    When you start to screw back in the motor screws dont try to screw them to the same outside level to the frame-they are not all the same exact size as well as the case being thicker in certain areas etc. So you must start and slowly screw in till you fill it touch the motor can and stop-but put no extra pressure.Then go to the next one etc. Its best to start on the bottom ones then go to the top. After they are all touching go back and put the same very slight pressure evenly on them all.You must not crank down even a small amount like you would on a neo or bishop.It only takes very very slight pressure to secure the motor as the cases tolerances to the motor are very high and there is multiple screws. Think of it more as balancing the motor to the swashplate not trying to hold it place. The best way to do this is thru feel of the allen wrench. Dont look at how much screw is in are out in relation to the frame. The first time it will take a bit of time and doing it a few times. If its done right the machine will run very smooth and run on very low volts. I would recomend rebalance it a couple times a year. If you use loctite put the weakest one on. I would not put it on first thoe till you have done it several times and you know it by feel-which it then becomes quick and easy.

SSI -SUPER SLICK IRONS-top shelf custom coil machines
    American Made Machines

[email protected]
    https://www.facebook.com/evanstattooing

Post Thanks / Like
    I know it's not ideal for a tattoo artist but I have to admit that I'm not great when it comes to tinkering with machinery. The reason that I was leaning away from it was that I was a bit nervous about tearing it apart and messing something else up, as it was my primary machine. Since I hardly use it now, my coworker and I will be getting some new RCA ports and do just that, try to fix it ourselves.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by slicksteel View Post
    allot has to due with the screws that push against the motor to hold it. The motor has to be perfectly upright and balanced with the swashplate. If you have it off it will do this as well as not run smooth and take more volts. If it is off it bind the motor shaft as well as throwing the balance off. It can also cause the motors positive to touch the frame and ground out.As well as were they push against the motor can wallow out a small fraction due to vibrations causing it be off balance etc.
    There is very little wiggle room.The best way to do it is back them all out. They have loctite-on the screws but after several years they get looser so they are easy to back out.. As well as were they push against the motor can will wallow out a small fraction due to vibrations causing it be off balance etc.
    When you start to screw back in the motor screws dont try to screw them to the same outside level to the frame-they are not all the same exact size as well as the case being thicker in certain areas etc. So you must start and slowly screw in till you fill it touch the motor can and stop-but put no extra pressure.Then go to the next one etc. Its best to start on the bottom ones then go to the top. After they are all touching go back and put the same very slight pressure evenly on them all.You must not crank down even a small amount like you would on a neo or bishop.It only takes very very slight pressure to secure the motor as the cases tolerances to the motor are very high and there is multiple screws. Think of it more as balancing the motor to the swashplate not trying to hold it place. The best way to do this is thru feel of the allen wrench. Dont look at how much screw is in are out in relation to the frame. The first time it will take a bit of time and doing it a few times. If its done right the machine will run very smooth and run on very low volts. I would recomend rebalance it a couple times a year. If you use loctite put the weakest one on. I would not put it on first thoe till you have done it several times and you know it by feel-which it then becomes quick and easy.

Thank you, seriously. We'll be reading your comment when we start working on it.

11. Like AltarVinz liked this post.