Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Spektra Halo Loud?

Hey guys, I just got my 2nd Spektra Halo ( 3.6mm ). I was wondering if its normal for these machines to be loud? When I was doing research before I got them, I was reading they were " whisper quiet ". I sold my first one because it was loud, thought maybe something was wrong with it. Well, I bought another from a fellow tattooer, and its just as loud if not louder. ( Def louder than my neotats, and bishops by FAR ). I was just wondering if this is a common issue? The machines run as they should. Just LOUD. lol. They are legit, and have low hours. I love these machines, was just wondering about this. Thanks guys

Post Thanks / Like
    I have 2 halos and they are louder than some of my other rotaries.

Machine Builder I build Tattoo Machines No Iron Machines's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    forget about loud man, look for the performance

Post Thanks / Like
    My opinion after using them is that the noise is because of the motorbolt cam/machine body connection system. They are very good machines, of course but this and vibrations with disposables were some of the things I found sorpresively after reading so many hype here.
    I use them only with metal grips, don't care about the noise and I'm happy with the machine.

Post Thanks / Like
    The longer the stroke plus give will make it louder in my experience but as above if it performs well like mine does any noise is irrelevant to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. I was just curious . also,today after breaking down, removing the needle bar, the small pin\nipple that holds the needle bar eyelit came right out. I pushed back into the slide, are these just press fitted

Senior Member ibroughtyounightmares's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    the Halo's are louder than a Vivace or Bishop. if you hover your hand above the armature while it's running you can feel air being pushed up (no idea if that has something to do with the slight bit of noise) just a thought. Halo's are great daily runners though so I would look past the noise which isn't anything crazy. My Halo is by far one of my most reliable machines! I'm sure you'll get a lot of great tattoos out of them.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used one daily for about a year and it was damn near silent with zero vibration running the smallest stroke wheel (2.6 i believe?) and slight give. When's the last time the machine was lubed up and are you using the super lube and Spektra oil together?? I lubricate machines A LOT more frequently than the manufacturer suggests and take a lot more time doing so than what their videos show. I generally clean and re-lube once a week whether my machines need it or not so that variable is out of the question should the machine start to perform uncharacteristically. The Halo I had I really took my time with the lube aspect of it to clean everything off extremely good and wipe down the individual pieces with alcohol and then re-grease, put machine back together and run for a bit starting a low volts then going high then back to low then high, etc. Then add the drops of oil and run again. I feel sometimes the manufacturers really try to simplify the maintenance on their machines so it looks super quick and easy to appeal to more buyers but I know first hand my Halo was finicky when it came to lubing, had to get 'er just right or I got unwanted noise. Just food for thought.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for that reply, Butternuts. I will clean and relube, and pay attention to detail even more so than I do. See if this helps. I really appreciate it guys

Post Thanks / Like
    They're amazing machines. Give will give you softer gray shading when you need it and the sound is louder than other rotaries but half that of a coil. I've been using them for years and own four of them. One of them was louder than the others and I sent it to FK and they worked some magic and now it's the same as the others. Stick with these machines and you'll see better heals and they have so much versatility. The 4.0 can power line, the 3.2 is my do all and can like smaller groupings as well.
    Last edited by Heath; 08-29-2015 at 12:40 AM.