Post Thanks / Like

Hawk Thunder vs Spektra Edge

So, I just got mt Hawk Thunder in. I havent used it, but I have used a Spirit ( for literally one tattoo, and I got rid of it because I wanted another Halo. ). Anyways I was wondering as far as the Thunder and Edge go, which do you prefer and why. Is one "better" than the other. I know different people like different things, I was just hoping to get some opinions from people who have experience with both.

Also, about how long can you expect the life on a Thunder and Edge to be. Under normal operating circumstances, and taking care of the machine(s). I know this varies a lot, I was just wondering a ballpark lifespan I can expect before needing to replace or have repaired.

I do have 2 Spektra Halos, does the Halo compare to the Thunder and Edge.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate all feedback

And, by the way, I am sorry that my questions are not ended with a question mark, it appears my question mark symbol key is broken lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't used a thunder but I used a spirit and the edge is better in my opinion.

It has give and stroke adjustment in it. So it is like all three hawks in one machine plus give. Also you can use disposables and clave the push pin. I don't know how you could go wrong.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it really just depends on the person. I had an edge X and loved it, until I tried the Thunder. At first I thought I'd like all the adjustment options of the edge, but in the end I felt like it complicated things. I love that the Thunder does what it does and does it well, and then I just adjust handspeed and give on the skin. I know in theory you could set the Edge on no give and at the same stroke as the Thunder and leave it be, but I feel like the Thunder is smoother with the needle and less vibration. I use the FK Irons adaptor on the Thunder and it works great for disposables. Both machines are killer, just depends on your style, and how many different machine set up options you like. Just my 2 cents

Post Thanks / Like
    Its a bit weird for me. I definitely like the Hawk. I prefer a shorter stoke, unless Im lining. So, I thought I would like the Spirit. But, I really didnt. So I went with the thunder, because it seems to have a little more ass to it, and although the stroke is too long for my liking, I can just adjust it with the grip and I have the stroke I want. I am torn on whether to keep the thunder and use it and get to know it, or if I want to trade it for an Edge, and get to know that one instead. I just dont know. Im kind of tired of using so many different machines ( Im a machine whore, and love collecting and using diff machines ). Im just kind of too the point to where I want to just find that ONE machine that feels like it was made for me, and use only it. Up until now, the Halo was my fav machine by far. My dilemma now, is do I want to learn the thunder or the edge. I cant really buy a new one right now, with the holidays running up on us and having kids, another $600 machine just isnt in my budget until after Xmas.
    On the thunder. Is the thunder "too much" for realistic color blending layering. I have heard a few people say the Thunder really isnt suited for that. More for line work and solid color work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just watch how many different tattoos are done with a thunder. Same with the Edge.
    About the stroke you have a misconception, adjusting the needle hang on a thunder doesn't affect the stroke. The stroke will be always the same. But you can try different speeds and use your hand by feel like "give" depending of what kind of tattoo are you working on, from soft black and grey to solid traditional. Just like any other DD.
    I think it's just adapt yourself to the machine and get used to it.

Post Thanks / Like
    You're right, I misspoke. I didn't mean change the stroke, I meant adjust needle depth. And thanks man. I just feel like I may stick with my halos lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Halos are great I just don't like them for lines but using a heavy metal grip and wrapping them you can reduce their vibrations a lot and lines much better

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eduki View Post
    Halos are great I just don't like them for lines but using a heavy metal grip and wrapping them you can reduce their vibrations a lot and lines much better
    ^^^^what he said!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chris-in-cali View Post
    ^^^^what he said!
    Lol what happens