Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Making a dd

Post Thanks / Like
    Also if the hole in the cam is larger than the motor shaft, a sleeve can be made out of tin foil, mould it onto an allen key first

Post Thanks / Like
    machine.JPGFinally walked out of the shed smiling triumphantly , maxon motor from ebay , some pipe fittings , an old base plate and vice and a very nice 4.2 mm cam from AK Art . Gave it a quick run out and it works like a charm

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by casey View Post
    machine.JPGFinally walked out of the shed smiling triumphantly , maxon motor from ebay , some pipe fittings , an old base plate and vice and a very nice 4.2 mm cam from AK Art . Gave it a quick run out and it works like a charm
    That looks a nice little hunny. I bought a dd from art and a few more cams. Used his dd today was nice smooth worth £65 . But ive just bought a few motors from maplin when they arrive with the ally plate my mate has bought round im going to give it another go. Getting mad for dds haha .

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Never used one till a few weeks ago and bloody wish I had tried them earlier

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd buy one off you, I love my DD and there's always room for one more. There's no way I could make one as I have fingers like cows tits when it comes to anything technical like this.
    https://www.facebook.com/electricink.redcar
    Instagram - ELECTRIC_INK__REDCAR_TATTOO

Post Thanks / Like
    So I mean, aside from stroke,torque, and weight I really don't see how performance can differ too much with directs. Am I wrong?

Post Thanks / Like
    The thing is with dds is any one can make them.. from anything. The only bit thats the pain is the cam. The rest is great to find and put together and they will work and put ink in no probs. I use carts with mine as it takes out all the wopple of a normal needle in a dd. jesse most rotaries are based round a dd princables. Slide rotaries are dds with the cam goes to a slide then to the needle. Because its wrapped in a nice design of ally and plastic and has $400 price tag, most dds costing $20 would do the same..my next dds motors are these for the fun of making dds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Phillips View Post
    So I mean, aside from stroke,torque, and weight I really don't see how performance can differ too much with directs. Am I wrong?
    You are quite right in my opinion, this homemade one performs pretty much identical to a relatively expensive dd , using a guitar tuner app for experiments sake , they both behave the same at the same speeds , hope that makes sense

Post Thanks / Like
    Heres a new dd i made today. Classic frame set up. Motor is 3-7v £5. cam ebay £2.60. £1 for the rca connector. Alloy from a friend. Took me about cupple of hours to drill and tap and to fit it together. Runs fast.
    Just found some carbon fibre so that might be the next frame.. and ive talk to a mate makes damascus steel for knifes so might go down that road. I'll post the frame in blue print so people can have ago in making their own..

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey. Anyone know where to buy medium-long stroke (3.5-4.5) cams with needlepin for grommets fitting the motor shaft on the motors used by rotary works? I want to replace the original cam to avoid opening needle loops and be able to have a little "grommet give".