Post Thanks / Like

Sidewinder V6 and cartridges

Just got my V6 Sidewinder in today and decided to do a test run on some practice skin (my leg). I know these machines are recognized as not being compatible with cartridges but I didn't exactly know why so I loaded a cartridge, looped a #10 rubber band around the vice and up over the armature bar to cancel out the cartridge tension and did a test line on my leg. Machine sounded really smooth and put a line in pretty easy and solid so I'm thinking I'm going to run it with cartridges.
    test line.jpg

2. Like Noa, Bruce Gulick liked this post.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Butternuts View Post
    Just got my V6 Sidewinder in today and decided to do a test run on some practice skin (my leg). I know these machines are recognized as not being compatible with cartridges but I didn't exactly know why so I loaded a cartridge, looped a #10 rubber band around the vice and up over the armature bar to cancel out the cartridge tension and did a test line on my leg. Machine sounded really smooth and put a line in pretty easy and solid so I'm thinking I'm going to run it with cartridges.
    test line.jpg
    Any difference comparing the Sidewinder with other rotaries about lining?

4. Like Noa liked this post.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not mechanically inclined. I just got the v6 as well. Would love to understand visually : "looped a #10 rubber band around the vice and up over the armature bar to cancel out the cartridge tension" ? Thank you, Noa

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Noa View Post
    I'm not mechanically inclined. I just got the v6 as well. Would love to understand visually : "looped a #10 rubber band around the vice and up over the armature bar to cancel out the cartridge tension" ? Thank you, Noa
    I've since traded the V6 for the new Centri but I can explain how to do it. As far as difference in lining from V6 to other rotaries, the V6 is designed for and accomplishes what it is designed for which is easily pushing larger rounds so if you're a traditional guy and use lots of big liners for bold line work and have a fast hand then the Kubin would be an asset to your collection. As it came tuned from Dan it was a bit too fast and hard for my liking so I backed off the impact screw and was able to find a setting that I liked. I hated the clipcord though. I made a clipcord to RCA piece but it was pretty wonky using it. I'm sure I could have hard wired an RCA connection to it but doing so you would loose the option of reversing the polarity which makes the machine run different. As far as looping the rubber band goes, the idea is to cancel out the upward tension caused by the spring or membrane in the cartridge so get a rubber band and loop it however you want around the machine so it will pull down on the armature bar to cancel out the upward tension from the needle cartridge.

7. Like Noa liked this post.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why the heck does Dan build his machines with the binding posts where they are?? That one thing has kept me from buying a sidewinder or a swinger. I see in videos that he is left handed so when he is tattooing with them the clip cord is out of the way. Thats the only thing I can think of as to why they are built that way. And since he has been building like that I see others making machines with the binders on that side of the machine. So unless you are left handed it makes no damn sense to me. So frustrating.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just take the spring away from underth the armture bar..... Run cartridges allday