Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Got my new Rotaryworks today

Hi guys and gals, i received my new Rotaryworks machine today from Dale and i did some pieces with it today so i'll give you my first opinions on it. I'll start with my first impressions; it came wrapped in tissue and sellotaped in a small plastic box with a business card with some simple lubrication (no sniggering at the back there!) instructions on and was safely packaged. Wasn't too keen on the method of covering the motor with a sticker, maybe the customers own choice of design with clear heat shrink over it or something similar would be better? I'd say the machine has a no frills almost retro vibe to it, which is cool. Clip cord connectors are simple but work fine. Due to the roundness of the motor the rubber band placement is dictated to the front of the needle bar, which isn't really an issue. The grommet pin size is nice and snug and there's no moving that needle bar once it's on there which is good. The tube clamp is nice, again nothing special but works a treat.

Now then, on to the main thing: functionality. First of all i read a lot about Dale's machines so i knew to start it off low, around the 2 volt mark. At that voltage the machine is working at a slow but steady rate, a little too slow for my liking. Because of the nature of the machine, only a small incremental increase in voltage is needed to make a difference in machine speed. I raised it to 2.3 volts and now it started to hum a little bit more. Around this voltage or maybe a tiny bit more (2.4-2.5) seems good for colour blending and another 0.1-0.2 volts for shading. At anything over 3 volts i had visions of pieces starting to fly off the machine it seemed to be going so fast (which i'm sure would never happen)! The machine runs very smoothly and i definitely felt like i'd got more control over the needles in comparison to my coil machines. It shades really nicely, i requseted a shader so i'm not expecting it to line sufficiently. The machine seems more suited to building layers of shading and colour blending, which is exactly what i asked for. I won't be doing too many traditional tattoos with it though i guess?

Anyway that's my early opinions on my brass Rotaryworks machine. Just for reference i'm running it on a Critical power supply and have used 7mgs and 9mgs so far. Stay tuned for an update in a week or 2. Thanks for reading! :-)

Site Technical Admin The Sheriff Administrator's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool review! Did you get the standard long stroke machine? Many people on here have remarked liking it for lining and "mowing the lawn" big solid fields of color packing so its nice to see you where right into shading with it. Look forward to seeing some work you get to do with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks! I didn't know if i'd waffled on for too long?! I'm not entirely sure if i got the standard long stroke machine or not? I requested a shader so that's what i received. I backed the needle up in the tip so at full stroke it was sticking out at the most 2mm. I got my Rapier 2 today too so i'll be reviewing that machine shortly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishopbyname View Post
    Thanks! I didn't know if i'd waffled on for too long?! I'm not entirely sure if i got the standard long stroke machine or not? I requested a shader so that's what i received. I backed the needle up in the tip so at full stroke it was sticking out at the most 2mm. I got my Rapier 2 today too so i'll be reviewing that machine shortly.
    the stroke is the same on his machine...I have 3 of them and they are dope..will do line work just fine and push a 23 mag like no tomorrow..
    VAGABOND JAY

Senior Moderator Deputy Sheriff The Limey's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gangstajay View Post
    the stroke is the same on his machine...I have 3 of them and they are dope..will do line work just fine and push a 23 mag like no tomorrow..
    Unless Dale has stopped making it he actually does a short stroke version too Jay but you have to ask for it specifically when you order.
    Play nice now people or your naughty posts will go in the Shit Box!

Knows Whats Up!
    Post Thanks / Like
    i like the needle runners with these machines but its the only machine i use needle runners on, i put a little vaseline on the needle runner and its like it has a neelde clip like the bishop

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hendricksonart.com View Post
    i like the needle runners with these machines but its the only machine i use needle runners on, i put a little vaseline on the needle runner and its like it has a neelde clip like the bishop
    Thanks for that mate, i might try that. I've got some needle runners getting dusty in one of my drawers!

I'm continuing to be impressed with this machine. I've used it for all my colour and black and grey so far at 2.4 volts. My regular customers have said that it's less painful and it's a more relaxing experience now because it doesn't sound like there's an angry mosquito flying around their head!

Knows Whats Up!
    Post Thanks / Like
    cant see putting vaseline in youre back stem being very good for disease control???

Machine Builder I build Tattoo Machines slicksteel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    try the new needle runners go on easy with no lube and one hand!
    so they could be called the one handed dry loven runners! lol

SSI -SUPER SLICK IRONS-top shelf custom coil machines
    American Made Machines

[email protected]
    https://www.facebook.com/evanstattooing

Senior Moderator Deputy Sheriff The Limey's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by slicksteel View Post
    try the new needle runners go on easy with no lube and one hand!
    so they could be called the one handed dry loven runners! lol
    Couldn't agree more, the new ones are SO much better!
    Play nice now people or your naughty posts will go in the Shit Box!