Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Motor direction

Post Thanks / Like

Motor direction

Hey I got a used rotary works clip cord and Im unsure if its supposed to run clockwise or counter clockwise. I thought this might make a good topic.

Name a machine / model and the proper directionality of it.

Rotary works?
    Swash gen 7 - clockwise
    Dan kubin - Counter clockwise

Post Thanks / Like
    This is an eye opener as a new convert to rotaries as i thought they all ran clockwise!? I've been running my Rotaryworks as if it runs clockwise. I've got a Mike Metaxa arriving in the next couple of days so i'll see how that runs too.

Post Thanks / Like
    interesting question..we did have a thread about this awhile back,I have had 3 rotary works and I could have swore they ran clockwise,I do know that the positive post on them is at the bottom..if you pull back the rubber cover and look just to the left of the bottom post you will see a red dot. but when I got my alum rotary works monday and connected the rca adapter to the motor i noticed it ran counter clockwise..so I checked the connection and I had the + to the + and the - to the - so I then pluged in my other machine's
    gen7-clockwise
    whip-clockwise
    rapierII -clockwise
    I run a cx-2 power supply
    VAGABOND JAY

Site Technical Admin The Sheriff Administrator's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by spoonertattoos View Post
    Hey I got a used rotary works clip cord and Im unsure if its supposed to run clockwise or counter clockwise. I thought this might make a good topic.

Name a machine / model and the proper directionality of it.

Rotary works?
    Swash gen 7 - clockwise
    Dan kubin - Counter clockwise
    If you are using a clipcord and it has a red and black marking you can peel back the motor cover just a little on the rotary works and look for the side of the motor that is marked with a red dot. This will match up the polarity and make the motor run in the direction its intended to from the factory.

Machine Builder I build Tattoo Machines slicksteel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    On some motors if they only have one red dot sometimes it is the negative,the ground.

SSI -SUPER SLICK IRONS-top shelf custom coil machines
    American Made Machines

[email protected]
    https://www.facebook.com/evanstattooing

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok I have some confusion on this subject. As the term clockwise is subject to interpretation. Hypothetically speaking a drill turns clockwise. But only when you are holding it as in normal usage. If you where to look at it, the drill would be turning counter clockwise. So which is correct. Looking at the motor and seeing the cam turn clockwise. Or looking at the machine and seeing it appear to be turning counter clockwise? In other words which idea of clockwise should we use? A drill or a fan? Or maybe I am just a devil's advocat.

Post Thanks / Like
    all my Rotaries i use have RCA, so by Default they should running in the proper direction, however with a clipcord you can change polarity, heres the question i have. lets use the Stealth as an example( i dont have one) it is linear motion, same stroke , what difference does it actually make, if the motor turns the clock or counter clock?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsDen View Post
    Ok I have some confusion on this subject. As the term clockwise is subject to interpretation. Hypothetically speaking a drill turns clockwise. But only when you are holding it as in normal usage. If you where to look at it, the drill would be turning counter clockwise. So which is correct. Looking at the motor and seeing the cam turn clockwise. Or looking at the machine and seeing it appear to be turning counter clockwise? In other words which idea of clockwise should we use? A drill or a fan? Or maybe I am just a devil's advocat.
    Very good point! I've thought this myself when I've held the front of the machine in front of me. Is it that clockwise. ..Or the other clockwise! hahaha! I dunno which.
    Its the voices!... They made me do it!

Post Thanks / Like
    I am fairly certain the clock or fan concept is correct, but I'd rather be correct than wrong. Hopefully someone will chime in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Most electric motors are made to spin clockwise(when viewing down at the shaft) and will tend to die quicker when run reversed, at least from my experience with RC cars.