Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: rapier 2 lube?

Machine Builder I build Tattoo Machines tattooedpirate2's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I clean my machines once a month with WD 40 and leave them wet. As time goes by you will wear parts down in the slide area and oil will fill the gap and lesson the play. WD 40 seems to be the best lube for the tight tolerence and cleans parts perfect. I don't mind repairing my machines for you guys as long as there taken care of. Resold machines and trades I don't mind going through for guys who need help. Cary

2. Thanks Neo, OwlsDen thanked for this post.
    Like aurelien, Neo, The Limey, DavidEngbaek liked this post.
    Post Thanks / Like
    So you just spray some wd 40 on the parts instead of another lube/oil. Anyone else do this, wonder if it would ruin any parts on other rotarys with "plastic" sliders and such like the dragon fly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I don't have any WD-40 handy but I did clean the treasure chest today. I took some super lube ( ptfe or Teflon lube ). I stripped the slide completely inner slide too. Cleaned all the parts and before reassembly I put some super lube on a paper towel. I wiped all the parts down with the paper towel and put it back together. Never has it run so smooth or quiet. I would suggest the same for the rapier. This was just a fine light wipe down on the parts. Barely any really, but the difference is amazing.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a can of WD 40 at the shop I bought for a squeaking door. Just found this link on Wikipedia seems like you can do lots of things with WD40

http://www.wd40.com/files/pdf/wd-40_2042538679.pdf

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah state side we use WD-40 on everything. The only issue is that it has solvents that can break down plastic. Although solvents evaporate quickly with heat / friction. So as long as you run the machine afterwards the solvents will evaporate leaving only lubricant. Also it's good to know what material you are putting it on. I believe Cary uses a nylon impregnated with PTFE ( Teflon ) and I would imagine that is fairly resistant to solvents. But not all machines have the same material.

Post Thanks / Like
    hmmm and how does that react with super lube being teflon based???

Post Thanks / Like
    Teflon is pretty safe. Teflon on Teflon slides nicely.

Post Thanks / Like
    Its really amazing how smooth and consistent the machine is running now after adding the tiny bit of Super Lube.

The Rapier II is the best thing that could have happend for me I never got used to a machine so quickly... I always wanted to do rotary only tattoos and now Im able. I dont even set up a in case coil liner anymore the Rapier is just a splendid liner and I need at least another one when I have some money to spend. Ive used the Rapier on differnt spots, calf, arm, forearm, neck, female chest and a shoulder blade and everything went great. The missing weight doesnt seem to be a problem with Rapier also.

Its an incredible machine everyone who plans on lining with a rotary should give it a try Im absolutely convinced.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am waiting on 3 machines to ship. A rapier, a rotary works, and a Swiss! I can't stand it.

I wanted to update on the treasure chest. I did not live it per say but wiped the parts down with a paper towel with lube on it. So very very little. It runs amazing and is so much quieter! It is like a brand new machine. I found myself giving it maybe 0.2 - 0.3 more volts. But that might have been the quiet getting to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    He He poor you I wouldnt wanna trade places its horrible to wait on machines... But Zapp will ship right away